U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM

349 posts, read 144,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Sorry but you need to extend that map's red area all through SOMA and FiDi to the Embarcadero. You should probably also highlight parts of Haight, Fillmore, and Mission districts. While these areas aren't to the same degree as mid-Market and Tenderloin, they do see a lot of the same issues on a smaller scale.
I don't disagree. In the areas you list, though, with the exception of isolated parts of the Haight, the problem is far less of a chronic one. It's more block-to-block and changes due to changing policies and forces of gentrification.

While there are homeless people in the Fidi, there are no blocks that are overrun or issues like the CNN report lists. There are random homeless people that get run off by the cops every so often (which I've witnessed and actually interjected, when the homeless person was only sitting at a POPO, as he was legally entitled to do).

The Mission is the "gentrifying" neighborhood I referred to. For better and worse, it is dealing with the issues of rapidly changing demographics. There's a different kind of thing happening here--not so much the "poo in the streets" kind of issues, but more the displacement and whitewashing issues that are not necessarily the subject of reports like the CNN one.

Last edited by DeanoSF; 12-28-2018 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The thing is homelessness and issues around it extend to most parts of the city. Most parks are negatively effected as well. To say these issues only effect a small part of San Francisco is false advertising, maybe that's why many tourists find SF overrated.
I think this is exactly what I am saying. You are correct that the issues extend beyond just that red area and I stated as much. They are, however, confined to a relatively small area as QOL issues for residents .

That doesn't excuse the problem in any way, but it may shed some light on why the perception of SF may be so different for someone who lives here and can afford to partake in the area's amenities.

re: your park reference--I live near a park that is only seven blocks from the red area and it is immaculate. https://sfrecpark.org/destination/la...k-picnic-area/
Hills are a big factor. They shape the area and confine the problem. The Tenderloin is bordered by hills on 3 sides, which keeps it quite contained from the residential areas around it to the north. That doesn't make it right, it's just an observation.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM

19,368 posts, read 18,998,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
What a ridiculous comment and pure conjecture. But one that is all too familiar and was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's the typical self righteous indignation that tends to be prevalent in this forum. Rather than address the comments made, it's easier to try and denigrate others (a nice avoidance tactic).
Exactly, I actually know more people who want to move out but cant because of their jobs. I paid cash for my condo in 2011. It just has so many problems and they only get worse because there are so many locals who have thinner skin than Trump when it comes to criticism. The city leaders don’t feel the need to do anything about it.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 12-28-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 9,892,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
By your stupid logic, if someone hasn't experienced bedbugs, then they've never lived in San Francisco
I'm saying there's a heck of a lot more problems with cockroaches (and other insects) in Austin, than in Silicon Valley.

Quote:
there's no bug infestation in the Austin area
Totally false ( unless they eradicted them all in the 25 years since I lived there, which I doubt because a simple google search reveals a lot of articles still talking about the problem).
Quote:
and the SF Bay Area does indeed have bugs also.
Substantially less. So few in fact that one does not notice them whatsoever. Unlike other places in the U.S. where they are a nuisance.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's a lie about mosquitoes. I have the bites to prove it during those warm nights in Sep/Oct when I try to sleep with the windows open.
I haven't noticed them at all here in Sunnyvale.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 504,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I haven't noticed them at all here in Sunnyvale.
So you call that your proof and then challenge others when they make the same comment. Hilarious.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM

I seriously doubt I'm the only one who feels there are far fewer insects and far fewer problems with bugs and insects here compared to other places in the U.S.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
That's a very fair comment as that was exactly what he did in reference to my comment. I would have to assume the apartment complex he lived in did a poor job of professionally handling pest control. Most comments I've seen in the Austin forum have no reference whatsoever to any bug problems in Round Rock and there have been none to speak of in mine after over a year.
Agreed that we should keep the discussion civil. In my experience Texas (I am from Houston and admit that the conditions are a bit worse than those in Austin) had many more insect issues than the Bay Area. In San Francisco specifically, I have no air conditioning and thus, leave my windows open all day, every day. There are no screens on the windows. No bugs have entered my home in nearly two years. That is not possible in Texas.

I only saw an occasional roach in Texas, I'll admit. I was aware that they were there, though. Fire ants and termites are also big problems. I did real estate inspections in Texas and infestations were prevalent. I'm sure they exist here, too, but to a much lesser degree.

The greater Bay Area is not as immune to insects. I'm outdoors about 10x more than I was in Texas and, like you, have not had any issues yet. In Houston, it was a constant battle. Nevertheless, I don't dispute your experience in the Austin area. Just stating my experience.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
From reading this thread, I get the sense that the contributors are in the process of redefining San Francisco. It certainly isn't what it was when I lived there 15 years ago mainly because it has experienced more change than most large cities: changing skyline, wealthier residents, much higher real estate prices, wider chasm between the haves and have nots, etc.

Old timers who compare it to what it once was probably feel much differently than recent, well-heeled arrivals who make big bucks.

It's all in one's perspective.
I think that's a pretty fair statement

Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 AM

1,366 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
While there are homeless people in the Fidi, there are no blocks that are overrun or issues like the CNN report lists. There are random homeless people that get run off by the cops every so often (which I've witnessed and actually interjected, when the homeless person was only sitting at a POPO, as he was legally entitled to do).

The Mission is the "gentrifying" neighborhood I referred to. For better and worse, it is dealing with the issues of rapidly changing demographics. There's a different kind of thing happening here--not so much the "poo in the streets" kind of issues, but more the displacement and whitewashing issues that are not necessarily the subject of reports like the CNN one.
You need to get out more.

The Mission has been "gentrifying" for like 10 years now. There's plenty of poo and pee and trash to go around still. Have you ever gotten off at a BART stop in the Mission? There are indeed tents, drug use, and sketch going on there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland