Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 12:45 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,427,938 times

Advertisements

Not overrated if you are one of those high tech rich people and enjoy the liberal political and cultural scene in SF.
Is Louis Vutton overrated?
Very subjective indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,427,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Bottom line is, they should have built another BART line from Downtown, all the way to the Sunset District. It should've been easy enough, with the relatively flat terrain. I'll take the 30 mile per hour BART over your 10 mile per hour Muni.
You say this because you live in Sunset. I am sure everybody wants a BART line directly to their neighborhoods.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:21 AM

10,312 posts, read 8,494,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Not overrated if you are one of those high tech rich people and enjoy the liberal political and cultural scene in SF.
Is Louis Vutton overrated?
Very subjective indeed.
I can see your point. I don’t run in circles that buy Louis Vuitton on a regular basis because they think the design and craftsmanship is far superior. The few people I know that do buy might buy one piece or even counterfeits just because they think it’s what the rich and cool people buy and they want to appear that way.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:06 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,818,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
You say this because you live in Sunset. I am sure everybody wants a BART line directly to their neighborhoods.
No, they're 100% correct - BART really should go to that part of the city, or at least beyond the one diagonal line it covers now. I lived in both the southeast and southwest parts of SF, and had to rely on my car waaay too much. Even Muni didn't effectively service those neighborhoods, and a LOT of people do live in these corners. I don't expect BART to go everywhere, but at this point you're SOL if you live anywhere but downtown.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,930,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, they're 100% correct - BART really should go to that part of the city, or at least beyond the one diagonal line it covers now. I lived in both the southeast and southwest parts of SF, and had to rely on my car waaay too much. Even Muni didn't effectively service those neighborhoods, and a LOT of people do live in these corners. I don't expect BART to go everywhere, but at this point you're SOL if you live anywhere but downtown.
San Francisco, after all, is a dense enough city to warrant spending on mass transit.

I'll give the Bay Area credit for the Caltrain, which has a whopping 65,000 daily weekday ridership (on only one line). Plus, they're electrifying the entire line between SF and San Jose, so that in the future there will be trains every ten minutes during rush hour, and the Baby Bullet express service will go from San Jose to SF in 45 minutes. Then they'll also have some brand-new rolling stock, the Stadler KISS electric locomotives, the same model they use on the Zurich S-Bahn. Not to mention they'll build the Caltrain tunnel all the way to the Transbay Transit Center, which will be directly connected to the Embarcadero BART via pedestrian tunnel, and hopefully the terminus of the high speed rail. With all that complete, Caltrain will be world-class, on par with the finest S-Bahns in Germany, and they might even double the ridership.

But honestly, I really don't care about mass transit if I live in a more sprawling city like Houston, where spending on public transportation is largely a waste of money. Is San Fran's robust rail system a plus? Not really, because 90% of the rest of the country lives in suburban sprawl where mass transit is a waste of money, gas is at least a buck per gallon cheaper, and driving a car does just fine.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,745,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But doesn’t being overpriced mean its overrated?
No, those are two separate things. "Rating" is a measure of quality, not price. Overrated means the quality of something isn't really in line with the claims being made. For example, a movie that is spectacular according to all the hype, when in fact it really isn't that great.

The quality of the movie doesn't necessarily depend on its budget or how much the ticket costs.

In any case, I personally find some things about the Bay Area - such as the weather - are excellent and most certainly not overrated.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 AM

653 posts, read 460,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
San Francisco, after all, is a dense enough city to warrant spending on mass transit.

I'll give the Bay Area credit for the Caltrain, which has a whopping 65,000 daily weekday ridership (on only one line). Plus, they're electrifying the entire line between SF and San Jose, so that in the future there will be trains every ten minutes during rush hour, and the Baby Bullet express service will go from San Jose to SF in 45 minutes. Then they'll also have some brand-new rolling stock, the Stadler KISS electric locomotives, the same model they use on the Zurich S-Bahn. Not to mention they'll build the Caltrain tunnel all the way to the Transbay Transit Center, which will be directly connected to the Embarcadero BART via pedestrian tunnel, and hopefully the terminus of the high speed rail. With all that complete, Caltrain will be world-class, on par with the finest S-Bahns in Germany, and they might even double the ridership.

But honestly, I really don't care about mass transit if I live in a more sprawling city like Houston, where spending on public transportation is largely a waste of money. Is San Fran's robust rail system a plus? Not really, because 90% of the rest of the country lives in suburban sprawl where mass transit is a waste of money, gas is at least a buck per gallon cheaper, and driving a car does just fine.
It's interesting that you tout the benefits of Caltrain and then go on to talk about how mass transit is a waste of money in suburban sprawl, using Houston as your example.

Caltrain (like roughly 70% of BART) is a commuter line, rather than a rapid transit line, serving primarily suburban areas. Most of its run is through lower population densities than Houston.

As a former Houstonian, I can tell you that the traffic there is terrible and there are a great many who would welcome a system like Caltrain or any reliable alternative to their cars. Houston has been trying for decades to implement some kind of commuter system, but to date only has what is essentially a light rail streetcar system (similar to what Muni Metro becomes in areas far away from the city's core) that will never be capable of being a good commuter solution, due to obvious physical limitations.

The great thing about Caltrain is its ability to link the employment centers along its line with the two population centers at its ends. A system that could do this in Houston would be a game changer for the city's productivity, pollution, traffic congestion, infrastructure expense and other sprawl-related concerns.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No, those are two separate things. "Rating" is a measure of quality, not price. Overrated means the quality of something isn't really in line with the claims being made. For example, a movie that is spectacular according to all the hype, when in fact it really isn't that great.

The quality of the movie doesn't necessarily depend on its budget or how much the ticket costs.

In any case, I personally find some things about the Bay Area - such as the weather - are excellent and most certainly not overrated.
Hmmm, I’ve always rolled price into the value or rating. If 2 movies were spectacular but I paid 15 to see one and 100 to see the other , I would be comparing the two and say the 100 one was over rated.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,773,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Hmmm, I’ve always rolled price into the value or rating. If 2 movies were spectacular but I paid 15 to see one and 100 to see the other , I would be comparing the two and say the 100 one was over rated.
more like seeing a Yo-Yo Ma for $100 dollars vs seeing my 8 year old nephews recital for $15

Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
more like seeing a Yo-Yo Ma for $100 dollars vs seeing my 8 year old nephews recital for $15
seriously doubt there's much of a comparison where your 8 year old nephew is as good as Yo-Yo Ma.
You are probably stinging from when you tied to make the Ferrari comparison which made no sense either.
Try again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland