U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM

19,199 posts, read 18,839,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
seriously doubt there's much of a comparison where your 8 year old nephew is as good as Yo-Yo Ma.
You are probably stinging from when you tied to make the Ferrari comparison which made no sense either.
Try again

Oh when he said SF is like a Ferrari with 4 flat tires, fecal smeared on the dash with 3 hobos living inside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 704,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
It's interesting that you tout the benefits of Caltrain and then go on to talk about how mass transit is a waste of money in suburban sprawl, using Houston as your example.

Caltrain (like roughly 70% of BART) is a commuter line, rather than a rapid transit line, serving primarily suburban areas. Most of its run is through lower population densities than Houston.

As a former Houstonian, I can tell you that the traffic there is terrible and there are a great many who would welcome a system like Caltrain or any reliable alternative to their cars. Houston has been trying for decades to implement some kind of commuter system, but to date only has what is essentially a light rail streetcar system (similar to what Muni Metro becomes in areas far away from the city's core) that will never be capable of being a good commuter solution, due to obvious physical limitations.

The great thing about Caltrain is its ability to link the employment centers along its line with the two population centers at its ends. A system that could do this in Houston would be a game changer for the city's productivity, pollution, traffic congestion, infrastructure expense and other sprawl-related concerns.
Having driven in Orange County for years (which is part of the Los Angeles area, which has worse traffic than any other city in America, including San Fran and Houston), I STILL don't want anymore taxpayer money spent on mass transit, BECAUSE a light rail system or subway system will fall through the cracks in sprawling Orange County. Just carpool, and voila! You get to use the HOV lane! Traffic problem solved!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 AM

11,249 posts, read 5,126,587 times
If humans would stop to think before having child after child after child...perhaps the world would be a much better place.

Overpopulation is affecting every major city and has been for the past 40 years.

I would love to post stats on this but I get it that it's not the topic of this thread. Anyone with any curiosity can easily look up what overpopulation of the earth by humans is causing.

Traffic, filth and no housing is just one of the outcomes.

Look up carrying capacity and do your best to understand it.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 AM

320 posts, read 138,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
If humans would stop to think before having child after child after child...perhaps the world would be a much better place.

Overpopulation is affecting every major city and has been for the past 40 years.

I would love to post stats on this but I get it that it's not the topic of this thread. Anyone with any curiosity can easily look up what overpopulation of the earth by humans is causing.

San Francisco has the lowest percentage of children under age 18 of any major city in the US.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM

1,361 posts, read 884,417 times
Quote:

I think more of an issue is that all the job centers are concentrated in areas that are already bursting at the seams population-wise. The last recession left many without stable employment for years, and many people, like myself, moved here because our industries aren't strong elsewhere. Add in immigrants, H1Bs, and baby making and it gets worse. Highly educated couples are less likely to push out big families, so you can guess where the problem generally stems from.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I think more of an issue is that all the job centers are concentrated in areas that are already bursting at the seams population-wise. The last recession left many without stable employment for years, and many people, like myself, moved here because our industries aren't strong elsewhere. Add in immigrants, H1Bs, and baby making and it gets worse. Highly educated couples are less likely to push out big families, so you can guess where the problem generally stems from.
I agree. If people look back at what life was like in the most attractive cities in the world 50 years ago...fast forward to today...many of these cites are now bursting at the seams with too many people and the cities quality of life is much lower. SF is a good example of such a city.

The US population in the 1950's was 152 million. Today it's over 325 million.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
San Francisco has the lowest percentage of children under age 18 of any major city in the US.
The point that you clearly missed is I was not talking about the % of children in SF. Do learn to keep up with what people are actually stating.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 PM

75 posts, read 21,997 times
S.F is a cesspool full of the depraved. Even their parades attempt to visually molest children on the street.

The North American Man-Boy Love Associations orgin, also known as NAMBLA, is in S.F where they thrive.

Unless you are into molesting children, same sex molestation, homelessness, alcoholism, no one who is half way mentally fit has any desire to live there.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 PM

75 posts, read 21,997 times
oos i forgot to add, many like to live near family or their friend support system . Cannot blame them

Old 01-10-2019, 04:52 AM

320 posts, read 138,497 times
Quote:
The point that you clearly missed is I was not talking about the % of children in SF. Do learn to keep up with what people are actually stating.
No, I was tracking what you were stating. It was simply irrelevant--a point you even made yourself, when you admitted to veering off topic.

You were attempting to draw a parallel where one doesn't exist--specifically calling out SF's problems as being related to "people having child after child," resulting in overpopulation.

Another poster also contradicted you, stating that this is not actually the case in San Francisco. Here, the problems are more related to economic factors like transient workforces in certain industries, market fluctuations and even geographic and demographic considerations.

You stated that you "agree," and attempted to further your non-parallel position by stating US population figures from the 50s versus today and saying that SF suffers from the same overpopulation problems, due to childbirth rates.

While the greater Bay Area has huge increases in population, I'd challenge you to cite any evidence that this unchecked growth is due to particularly high birthrates in this region vs economic factors drawing people here, as the other poster stated. And since you like to call out San Francisco (which I pointed out as having the fewest children per capita of major cities in the nation, nullifying your argument)--the population of San Francisco, itself, has increased less than 15% from its 1950 level. So, you must not actually agree with her, at least not on this point.

It would seem that you were the one who wasn't keeping up in this instance.

Last edited by DeanoSF; 01-10-2019 at 05:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland