Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Probably quite a few. There are people who could cash out, take the money and run - but choose not to (which would keep inventory down and demand high). So either way, there are simply more interested buyers than sellers.
there are people living in $2.5 million+ homes in places like Glen Park or Rockridge who could cash out and buy a nice flat in the 16th arrondissement in paris , the south of france NYC or London. they would rather stay in the bay area. keeping inventory low and prices high.
So plan B is getting a vaction home or pied a terre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
there are people living in $2.5 million+ homes in places like Glen Park or Rockridge who could cash out and buy a nice flat in the 16th arrondissement in paris , the south of france NYC or London. they would rather stay in the bay area. keeping inventory low and prices high.
So plan B is getting a vaction home or pied a terre

Haha - yeah, right. The topic is if the Bay Area is overrated or not (and why or why not). I think it is safe to assume the small percentage of people who could (or even would) move to France does not factor heavily (if at all lol) into this equation. But alright lol. By the way, the 16th arrondissement is not a very desirable area - most would focus around the 1st, I would think - and even more so, completely outside of Paris altogether.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,699 times
Yeah I was gonna say, having been recently in the south of Paris, whoa... that is the LAST place on earth I'd want to move to, my goodness. What a crap hole that was. I was shocked.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Obviously, no one has a 100% accurate view of the tech industry into the future. That said, if people representing all of the companies located in SV were to weigh in, I think it’s safe to assume they would agree ‘we’ve only just begun’. Successful people aren’t naive - but they aren’t cynical either.
We'll certainly see. I voted the other way with my feet.

I hope you are right, I have tech family in the area and wish them a prosperous time while they are here.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Haha - yeah, right. The topic is if the Bay Area is overrated or not (and why or why not). I think it is safe to assume the small percentage of people who could (or even would) move to France does not factor heavily (if at all lol) into this equation. But alright lol. By the way, the 16th arrondissement is not a very desirable area - most would focus around the 1st, I would think - and even more so, completely outside of Paris altogether.

as on of the wealthiest areas of paris how is the 16th arrondeissement not desirable?

"With its ornate 19th-century buildings, large avenues, prestigious schools, museums, and various parks, the arrondissement has long been known as one of French high society's favourite places of residence (comparable to London's Kensington and Chelsea)[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] to such an extent that the phrase le 16e ([SIZE=2]French pronunciation: ​[/SIZE][lə sɛzjɛm]) has been associated with great wealth in French popular culture. Indeed, the 16th arrondissement of Paris is France's third richest district for average household income, following the 7th, and Neuilly-sur-Seine, both adjacent.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] "

"The 16th is the most posh of Paris arrondissements. If you want to see how well-off Parisians live, it's worth a Metro ride to Passy. You'll be rewarded with an enclave of narrow streets with some of the best luxury food shopping in Paris. Its administrative area is very large, since it also takes in the many hectares of the Bois de Boulogne. "

"This large district occupies most of the West of Paris, extending east-west between the bends of the Seine from the Jardins of Trocadero immediately facing the Eiffel Tower to the expansive Bois du Boulogne (which occupies a larger part of the 16th's territory), and north-south from the Etoile to the southern border of Paris. It is known to be the residence of choice for affluent Parisians, and for hosting numerous internationally famous events, such as the Roland Garros French Open tennis tournaments, as well as the home stadium of the Paris Saint-Germain football club."

Old 02-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
as on of the wealthiest areas of paris how is the 16th arrondeissement not desirable?

"With its ornate 19th-century buildings, large avenues, prestigious schools, museums, and various parks, the arrondissement has long been known as one of French high society's favourite places of residence (comparable to London's Kensington and Chelsea)[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] to such an extent that the phrase le 16e ([SIZE=2]French pronunciation: ​[/SIZE][lə sɛzjɛm]) has been associated with great wealth in French popular culture. Indeed, the 16th arrondissement of Paris is France's third richest district for average household income, following the 7th, and Neuilly-sur-Seine, both adjacent.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] "

"The 16th is the most posh of Paris arrondissements. If you want to see how well-off Parisians live, it's worth a Metro ride to Passy. You'll be rewarded with an enclave of narrow streets with some of the best luxury food shopping in Paris. Its administrative area is very large, since it also takes in the many hectares of the Bois de Boulogne. "

"This large district occupies most of the West of Paris, extending east-west between the bends of the Seine from the Jardins of Trocadero immediately facing the Eiffel Tower to the expansive Bois du Boulogne (which occupies a larger part of the 16th's territory), and north-south from the Etoile to the southern border of Paris. It is known to be the residence of choice for affluent Parisians, and for hosting numerous internationally famous events, such as the Roland Garros French Open tennis tournaments, as well as the home stadium of the Paris Saint-Germain football club."

It’s interesting that you copy things from the internet rather than utilize your personal experience from which to speak. I never said it was crap (not anything close haha) - I said it TENDS to be LESS DESIREABLE for people seeking a move to France (at least in terms of retirement or second home scenarios). SOME of the area is posh (I never said differently - I wasn’t commenting on its posh factor at all) - but that alone is not the only criteria one would use to determine a move. Blocks of ‘posh’ can be found in every major city; of course, that is rarely how a ‘more desirable’ area for a move is determined (at least not for me). Parts of SF are posh, too, so by the basis of your criteria in regard to France, then - those areas would be more desirable than the rest of the Bay Area? I don’t agree - there are posh sections of Chicago, too - but that doesn’t make it a desireable city to live by most people’s standards. I would still come to the conclusion/opinion Chicago is less desirable. I think any arrondissement of Paris is less desirable than other parts of France (in terms of living, unless of course if distance to my employer factored in. But that’s really irrelevant to this thread. Paris is a beautiful city - I never said, nor intended to imply, Paris (or any part of it) is crap - lol.

And, the point of this thread is not to debate Paris (or who would ever move to Paris in the first place, yet alone where) - my post was to convey how irrelevant a discussion of Paris was in terms of a thread about whether the Bay Area is overrated or not.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-05-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It’s interesting that you copy things from the internet rather than utilize your personal experience from which to speak. I never said it was crap (not anything close haha) - I said it TENDS to be LESS DESIREABLE for people seeking a move to France (at least in terms of retirement or second home scenarios). SOME of the area is posh (I never said differently - I wasn’t commenting on its posh factor at all) - but that alone is not the only criteria one would use to determine a move. Blocks of ‘posh’ can be found in every major city; of course, that is rarely how a ‘more desirable’ area for a move is determined (at least not for me). Parts of SF are posh, too, so by the basis of your criteria in regard to France, then - those areas would be more desirable than the rest of the Bay Area? I don’t agree - there are posh sections of Chicago, too - but that doesn’t make it a desireable city to live by most people’s standards. I would still come to the conclusion/opinion Chicago is less desirable. I think any arrondissement/Paris is less desirable than other parts of France - and cheaper too. But that’s really irrelevant to this thread. Paris is a beautiful city - I never said, nor intended to imply, Paris (or any part of it) is crap - lol.

And, the point of this thread is not to debate Paris (or who would ever move to Paris in the first place, yet alone where) - my post was to convey how irrelevant a discussion of Paris was in terms of a thread about whether the Bay Area is overrated or not.
this is not logical. the desirability of a good ( especially property) is reflected in it's price. the more expensive a good the more desirable a good.
this is the law of supply and demand
demand reflecting how much a product or service is desired by buyers. the more desirable the more demand the higher the price.
this is a basic tenent of economic theory since the 17th century

Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 PM

But that is way too simplified, ssmaster. In reality, those super expensive goods are desired by a very limited population for reasons that don't appeal to any other strata below them, and prices might not dictate demand or value at all, but just extremely limited supply facing a limited but wealthy demand. Many bay area house paper millionaires might be able to afford a place in the expensive Paris regions, but that doesn't mean they actually desire too.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM

[quote=ssmaster;54352601]this is not logical. the desirability of a good ( especially property) is reflected in it's price. the more expensive a good the more desirable a good.
this is the law of supply and demand
demand reflecting how much a product or service is desired by buyers. the more desirable the more demand the higher the price.
this is a basic tenent of economic theory since the 17th century[/QUOTE

What people perceive as a ’desireable’ place to move/live varies - and, yes it all comes down to supply and demand (as was the basis for my original post). We are just differing on what makes any particular area have a higher desirablility than another - and ‘posh’ is not at the top of my list whereas it seems to be the only thing on yours.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
It’s interesting that you copy things from the internet rather than utilize your personal experience from which to speak. I never said it was crap (not anything close haha) - I said it TENDS to be LESS DESIREABLE for people seeking a move to France (at least in terms of retirement or second home scenarios). SOME of the area is posh (I never said differently - I wasn’t commenting on its posh factor at all) - but that alone is not the only criteria one would use to determine a move. Blocks of ‘posh’ can be found in every major city; of course, that is rarely how a ‘more desirable’ area for a move is determined (at least not for me). Parts of SF are posh, too, so by the basis of your criteria in regard to France, then - those areas would be more desirable than the rest of the Bay Area? I don’t agree - there are posh sections of Chicago, too - but that doesn’t make it a desireable city to live by most people’s standards. I would still come to the conclusion/opinion Chicago is less desirable. I think any arrondissement of Paris is less desirable than other parts of France (in terms of living, unless of course if distance to my employer factored in. But that’s really irrelevant to this thread. Paris is a beautiful city - I never said, nor intended to imply, Paris (or any part of it) is crap - lol.

Wow Cowboy, First the French Parisians and now the Chicagoans, good job!
Have you ever been to Chicago? I am an ex-Californian living there, and it is a desireable place to live, since it is booming in its core and gentrifying to the extent that it is now the most educated of the 6 largest cities and certainly one of the most beautiful and clean. It is also more affordable than SF,which makes it more desireable in some ways since you can live a great life there on less while keeping a high income.

Desireability is in the eye of the beholder. Whether it is the 6th in Paris or the Gold Coast in Chicago, your idea of what is nice is certainly different than alot of people's.

Time to saddle up and ride off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland