Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Do people in Alabama wake up every single morning and fill their coffee cups with bitter tears and woefully decry how tragic it is that they don't live in San Francisco or Paris?
No - they are quite content living in a place still refusing to concede defeat in the Civil War. Because the Almighty says so. Or All Shall Burn in Everlasting Hell Fire!!! Aughhh!!!! Nothing like keeping up the ol' battle for Supremacy to keep a community together, right?

Maybe people prefer to pay more to live in places like the Bay Area in order to avoid this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM

277 posts, read 379,601 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter. This is a mere subjective issue anyway. Yes- I am very familiar with the Sierras as I live in the Bay Area and travel there frequently. The Sierras are not as spectacular as the Rockies and I believe many would have that same assessment. I'd never been to CO until last year and it was a stunning state. It had a much stronger classic Western feel than Cali. The food and craft brew scene was pretty amazing.

I don't need a 2,000 Sq foot house either. But just for example, I live in a halfwa

It's hard to say one has a more western feel than the other because places like Jamestown and Placerville feel very " classic western". It's a big state so you'll find just about everything Colorado here also. I agree about the home prices, my sister is having trouble finding something nice for 400k in the Oakland area but like mentioned there's a reason the Bay Area costs more, People want to move there in larger numbers than most other places, supply and demand.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Quote:
It's hard to say one has a more western feel than the other because places like Jamestown and Placerville feel very " classic western". It's a big state so you'll find just about everything Colorado here also. I agree about the home prices, my sister is having trouble finding something nice for 400k in the Oakland area but like mentioned there's a reason the Bay Area costs more, People want to move there in larger numbers than most other places, supply and demand.
See my previous response. The states that are gaining more than any other are TX, NC, GA, and a few other primarily Southeastern states. Why? Because that's where the jobs are. That and its affordable. Many people make a big deal about the weather, politics, and other amenities of California. At some point Detroit paid 5X's more on average than anywhere else and it was the fastest-growing metro in the US. Nevermind that it gets really frikin' cold there or that its not exactly super scenic or on the beach. The same was true back in California during the 40's-70s.. until it became too costly for the middle class. Now the general population is shifting again to a new area. That's what has always happened here.

Either way, I'm not attached to the area. Its got some nice parts and some not so nice parts. The same is true for any other state in the country.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
No - they are quite content living in a place still refusing to concede defeat in the Civil War. Because the Almighty says so. Or All Shall Burn in Everlasting Hell Fire!!! Aughhh!!!! Nothing like keeping up the ol' battle for Supremacy to keep a community together, right?

Maybe people prefer to pay more to live in places like the Bay Area in order to avoid this stuff.
Oh snap, that is pretty accurate description of Alabama and I have family who moved there years ago.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
Quote:
Not sure what that means. If it means I'm saying negative things about SF then I fail to see that as something to frown upon. Besides- its not like this isn't a common assessment anyway. I've never seen people obsess so much over real estate here. Its all anyone talks about- how to get a good job, how to find a neighborhood they can afford, commuting insane hours to that high-paying job to pay for the big mortgage, etc etc. All I'm saying is what I've observed. I have no attachment to the area. Its been a good place to earn money and I am glad in that respect. But as soon as we've saved enough to buy a house elsewhere we're outta' here.

Oh well. This is a inconclusive debate anyway. Everyone's going to have their opinion, and that's ok.
What is it they say about birds of a feather? And what the heck does the influx of people to random southern states have to do with Bay Area prices? Do you think they'll go down now some people are leaving? Those vacated spots fill up pretty quick, you know.

I think what clongirl meant by "don't be an Andy" is don't make people want to tell you over and over again, "SO MOVE ALREADY." People on the board feel this way about Andy because he picks one or two things about SF to hate and harps on it in every single thread, which is annoying. Some people would rather wallow in misery and complain to everyone else than try to change things about their life they don't like, which is not a very attractive trait.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Desirable areas always do well... basic supply and demand, no matter what the underlying factors are.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Ahh, the sound of haters.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
What is it they say about birds of a feather? And what the heck does the influx of people to random southern states have to do with Bay Area prices? Do you think they'll go down now some people are leaving? Those vacated spots fill up pretty quick, you know.

I think what clongirl meant by "don't be an Andy" is don't make people want to tell you over and over again, "SO MOVE ALREADY." People on the board feel this way about Andy because he picks one or two things about SF to hate and harps on it in every single thread, which is annoying. Some people would rather wallow in misery and complain to everyone else than try to change things about their life they don't like, which is not a very attractive trait.

The bit about people moving to "random" southern states was in response to the quip about how that everyone is moving here, at which point I corrected that statement with the fact that no- not everyone is moving here and in all actuality the Bay Area has been experiencing a net loss of population for years. The "random" Southern states are not really all that random. In particular they are TX and NC- 2 of the fastest growing areas in the country with a lot of economic clout.

As I pointed out previously, no- prices probably won't go down to sane levels because there will probably always be enough rich people who want to live on the coast. The better question is what does the future hold for middle and soon even upper middle class professionals?

If what I mentioned brings up points that a lot of people in the Bay Area already agree with then I fail to see this as something to sweep under the rug. The Bay Area has a severe affordability problem. This is not only bad for future growth and community development, its bad for business too. Having a predominantly overpriced housing market has over the course of history proven to stifle progress. That I mention this and it receives hisses from people is indicative of why things probably won't change.

As far as " LEAVE ALREADY!!!" well, honestly what do you think I've been saying over and over again? Yes- I'll do so and do it gladly. As mentioned we're saving money so we can buy a house for cash outright elsewhere. That takes a little time and being prepared financially is key. As I also mentioned California has been pretty good to me. That doesn't mean I'm about to get down on me knees and kiss the ground and be oh-so-grateful that I live here. Its merely help facilitate a future plan to relocate. Thus if I have future plans to leave and have reasons to mention why, then stating these reasons on an open forum, in a thread concerning perhaps some of the negative aspects of California seems rationale.... right?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
The bit about people moving to "random" southern states was in response to the quip about how that everyone is moving here, at which point I corrected that statement with the fact that no- not everyone is moving here and in all actuality the Bay Area has been experiencing a net loss of population for years. The "random" Southern states are not really all that random. In particular they are TX and NC- 2 of the fastest growing areas in the country with a lot of economic clout.

As I pointed out previously, no- prices probably won't go down to sane levels because there will probably always be enough rich people who want to live on the coast. The better question is what does the future hold for middle and soon even upper middle class professionals?

If what I mentioned brings up points that a lot of people in the Bay Area already agree with then I fail to see this as something to sweep under the rug. The Bay Area has a severe affordability problem. This is not only bad for future growth and community development, its bad for business too. Having a predominantly overpriced housing market has over the course of history proven to stifle progress. That I mention this and it receives hisses from people is indicative of why things probably won't change.

As far as " LEAVE ALREADY!!!" well, honestly what do you think I've been saying over and over again? Yes- I'll do so and do it gladly. As mentioned we're saving money so we can buy a house for cash outright elsewhere. That takes a little time and being prepared financially is key. As I also mentioned California has been pretty good to me. That doesn't mean I'm about to get down on me knees and kiss the ground and be oh-so-grateful that I live here. Its merely help facilitate a future plan to relocate. Thus if I have future plans to leave and have reasons to mention why, then stating these reasons on an open forum, in a thread concerning perhaps some of the negative aspects of California seems rationale.... right?
But you fail to see that not everyone has a problem with affordability. I'm not comparing it to Tennessee or Georgia. I'm doing alright. So in other words, it's outrageous FOR YOU.

I'm obviously a tad older than you but you seem to be under the impression that you're entitled to purchase a house wherever and whenever you desire.

California was horribly affected by the housing bubble and it sucked for a lot of folks (which is why there are so many foreclosures now) but prices are stabilizing---perhaps not where YOU want to be,or as quickly as you'd like, but nevertheless. I certainly wouldn't step foot in Manhattan or in Hawaii expecting it to be affordable then get mad at the locals on the NYC or Hawaii forums about it. No kidding it's expensive! But yes, there are people that are making a lot more than you or I so "affordability" is all relative.

If you think that owning your own home in another state is your dream, then good for you. Nobody expects you to be grateful to live here--that's paranoid speak. Yes, there are a lot of 20-30 somethings that are making a really good salary and had expected to be able to buy a house at this stage in their lives...but this isn't the way it is here.

I certainly didn't imply that "everyone" was moving here---I was specifically referring to the postings on this forum. But there's really no need to begrudge the people that are happy here and not following in your footsteps to the South. I'm sorry it's not working out for you here, but telling everyone "over and over" again about it doesn't make your points any more valid. I don't know who you're trying to convince or why you need to justify your choices about leaving.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
But you fail to see that not everyone has a problem with affordability. I'm not comparing it to Tennessee or Georgia. I'm doing alright. So in other words, it's outrageous FOR YOU.
Didn't say they did. A lot of people do. That I mention this should be no surprise.

Quote:
I'm obviously a tad older than you but you seem to be under the impression that you're entitled to purchase a house wherever and whenever you desire.
Didn't say that either. I feel "entitled" to nothing. I've been renting for the past 15 years and its been great. In fact, I rent a pretty nice house with a yard, garage, and in a safe, walkable neighborhood. I'm paying cheap rent.This in turn allows us to save a lot of our income. My opinion of buying houses is that they're a big financial liability. At some point we'll move, buy out house, have no debt, and still be relatively young without financial burden. Buying a house in the Bay Area would mean instantaneous financial liability. I don't feel entitled. If I did I would be whining that I can't afford a house here, which I am not. To me the price of housing here is overpriced and my solution is to make plans to relocate to a place where they aren't and my dollars go further. Its not like I'm crying that I can't afford a BMW. I could buy one if I wanted. But I'd rather spend my money on a Honda.

Quote:
California was horribly affected by the housing bubble and it sucked for a lot of folks (which is why there are so many foreclosures now) but prices are stabilizing---perhaps not where YOU want to be,or as quickly as you'd like, but nevertheless. I certainly wouldn't step foot in Manhattan or in Hawaii expecting it to be affordable then get mad at the locals on the NYC or Hawaii forums about it. No kidding it's expensive! But yes, there are people that are making a lot more than you or I so "affordability" is all relative.
Prices would need to come down by at least 50% of where they were during the bubble in areas that are halfway commutable to the job centers. Those prices are so far still too high- for me. If others think the prices are the steal of the century they can buy up all the houses they want.

Quote:
If you think that owning your own home in another state is your dream, then good for you. Nobody expects you to be grateful to live here--that's paranoid speak. Yes, there are a lot of 20-30 somethings that are making a really good salary and had expected to be able to buy a house at this stage in their lives...but this isn't the way it is here.
Again- buying a home here was never part of the plan. I make no qualms about future prospects. I know a few 20-30somethings who bought homes who are doing fine.

Quote:
I certainly didn't imply that "everyone" was moving here---I was specifically referring to the postings on this forum. But there's really no need to begrudge the people that are happy here and not following in your footsteps to the South. I'm sorry it's not working out for you here, but telling everyone "over and over" again about it doesn't make your points any more valid. I don't know who you're trying to convince or why you need to justify your choices about leaving.
I don't begrudge people who aren't moving South. If anything I would hope LESS people would move there as the region is being flooded from not only people from the Northeast, but the West Coast as well. Its having an enormous impact on how things are growing there. Some of this is good and some of it is bad. So no- I'm not trying to get people to do what I'm doing. No need to be sorry for me as I'm doing pretty well here. I've done pretty well financially. This isn't an issue where I'm frustrated that I can't afford to live here. I can and if I wanted I could buy a house here too. I'm not trying to convince anyone here to think or act like myself. Its a forum thus we can feel free to voice our differing opinions.

Anyway, I believe I've said all I care to about this subject. If people choose to disagree then that's fine. Its part of having a rationale discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland