U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 66,146 times

Advertisements

I will come from abroad to work for a half a year in the Pacific Heights . Sausalito would seem like a nice place to stay if only I am able to find an appartment. Any ideas of how realistic it would be to commute daily by bicycle between Sausalito and SF? I know it is some 8 miles one way so not the easiest commute but still, fitness is not an issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,847,951 times
Many people commute by bicycle across the Golden Gate. You would not be alone. Sometimes it gets pretty windy on the bridge.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

3,704 posts, read 14,089,481 times
There is also ferry service between SF and Sausalito, but that can get expensive *. They offer a monthly pass which is cheaper than the pay-per-ride fare. I think you would be better off just living in San Francisco. Public transit in SF is good and goes just about everywhere in the city.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 66,146 times
"I think you would be better off just living in San Francisco."

I agree that this would make my life easier but my family will follow me and I wonder how San Francisco is to live with two small kids.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times
Default Go forr Marin

Sausalito to San Francisco bicycle commute is the world's most spectacular bicycle commute - its scenic, beautiful every day (including rainy days), relatively safe (as oposed to riding in the city) and easy. Big sections of the route are on the bike paths and sidewalks.

There are hundreds of people riding bikes in the morning to SF and back in the evening. It sure beats going to gym and riding stationary bikes.

If you can afford to live in a nice part of the City you sure should consider living in Sausalito -its clean, safe and spectacular (Portofino on the Bay).
Its faster to get to downtown SF from Sausalito then from the outlying areas of the City. Weather is beter than in the City and nobody is going to break into your car at night.

And should you choose not to ride, you can always catch a ferry to SF - only the wold's second best ferry ride after Hong Kong harbor ferry.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM

457 posts, read 715,853 times
I don't think its practical to ride your bike from Sausalito to Pac Heights on a daily basis. The distance is long, the weather can get foggy, cold and rainy often and above all you will encounter giant hills while getting into Pacific Heights. Almost all the streets from Lombard to Broadway (heart of Pac Heights) are very, very steep and will be very challenging for bike riding.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM

370 posts, read 815,939 times
i have a friend who bike commuted from mill valley to downtown SF by bike for a few years. Probably 45 minutes-1 hour each way but its a nice way to spend the time.

He was pretty dedicated to biking even in the inclement weather, plus there is a big ass hill from sausalito up to the GG bridge. If you are in good shape, i think its doable. But packing up every day and biking in the rain arent going to be much fun.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM

622 posts, read 1,077,202 times
It's doable, but between the hill to get from Sausalito up to the bridge, the wind and the rain, it might just get old really fast. It just depends on how committed you are to commuting that way and if you're in good enough shape to tackle it.

I'm less concerned about the hill from Sausalito to the bridge but the hills in Pac Heights. Those are a b%^#h. It's going to depend on where you work.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,477,796 times
I've known fit old guys who did it to get to work. Just make sure there is somewhere at or near your office where you can park your bike all day long. You do NOT want to chain it up on the street, it will get stolen no matter how secure your lock is. There are some places that the city has set up bike parking but I imagine it's in short supply. I know there's some at Yerba Buena Gardens.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 AM

622 posts, read 1,077,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I've known fit old guys who did it to get to work. Just make sure there is somewhere at or near your office where you can park your bike all day long. You do NOT want to chain it up on the street, it will get stolen no matter how secure your lock is. There are some places that the city has set up bike parking but I imagine it's in short supply. I know there's some at Yerba Buena Gardens.
Nah, the Embarcadero bike center is wide open when I park my bike there. I went there in the afternoon today around 1pm and there were tons of spots open. I'm about to start working out of an office over there (just to switch up this entrepreneur thing a bit). It's been easy-peasy to park there.

The center that fills up is the Downtown Berkeley bike valet. However, I've always found a spot in the park it yourself facility next door. There are also always spots at Ashby. I just don't think there are any centers like that in Pac Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>