Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM

102,110 posts, read 107,284,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Dude, chill out. I'm just sharing what some female friends have shared as part of their experience. I have no idea how accurate it is or how widespread. I'm sure there are plenty of nerdy dudes who can't easily talk to women though.
I take it to mean, not that they're intimidated by individual women, but that they're intimidated by the idea of talking with women IRL, whether in the workplace (where you'd think it would be easy), or out in the community, in activity groups, free public events, recreational groups activities, or whatever. We've had guys posting here, who adamantly refuse to consider people's advice, of joining a hobby group, sports league, volunteer effort, singles hike, weekly after-work singles mixer at GG Park, or whatever. They insist on limiting their interactions with women, their search for a date, to online activities only.

This doesn't mean Bay Area women are intimidating, lol. It only means there are a fair number of guys who are completely intimidated by the process of hunting for females in the wild.

That's how I interpret your friends' comments. For a rumored "sausage fest", there's not much action happening in many of the seemingly obvious places. Most of it's online. Women who don't participate in OLD see no evidence of there being this supposed "sausage fest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

SF is an absolute sausage fest. Just like Seattle. If a woman has trouble finding dates in those two cities than they will most likely have trouble finding them everywhere else. This has been stated over and over again in city-data threads.

And please stop it with the intimidated talk. I've only seen a handful of women that have the type of looks that would come close to intimidating a man.
It has also been stated over and over again in the Bay Area threads, that more than a few women aren't seeing any evidence of a sausage fest, in their day-to-day lives. The same goes in the Seattle threads. Maybe it's due to over-dependence on technology leading to poor social skills? Poor chat-in-public or chat-in-group-settings skills? Who knows. One of my Millennial relatives (female) gave up on SV a year ago, and moved to Santa Barbara.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 PM

4,476 posts, read 2,923,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Very, very clever observations of life in San Francisco. Most of these 'contradictions' are spot on

medium.com/@tisdalisms/the-many-contradictions-of-san-francisco-63717f9e4ec
Where's the evidence that tech companies are "bastions of liberal thought"??

Old 01-02-2019, 03:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,150,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Evidence? It's well known.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...hape-politics/

Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Interesting question. Do workplaces that treat women like dirt qualify as "bastions of liberal thought"? What are the criteria for qualifying as such a bastion? What comprises "liberal thought"?

(This is starting to remind me of the concurrent thread debating "What is a Third World country"? How do we determine it? If you treat your women like dirt, does that relegate you to 3rd World status?}

Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,818,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

SF is an absolute sausage fest. Just like Seattle. If a woman has trouble finding dates in those two cities than they will most likely have trouble finding them everywhere else. This has been stated over and over again in city-data threads.

And please stop it with the intimidated talk. I've only seen a handful of women that have the type of looks that would come close to intimidating a man.
One can be intimidated by more than looks... but the fact that you automatically thought of looks is kind of telling.

I'm not exactly a supermodel, and have been told flat-out that it was my intellectualism and outspoken nature that intimidates some men. It's literally one of the reasons my last relationship failed, because he was too insecure in his "dumb jock" status. Never mind that I never thought of or treated him as dumb! Even here on City-Data I've been told the same, and had male posters say things like "I'm just not used to women who speak their mind (against them)." Awwww, so sorry. LOL

Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM

4,476 posts, read 2,923,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
A pay wall popped up before I could read that article.

Remember, though, some of those big tech companies were supporters of ALEC,
until they were exposed: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...t_Ties_to_ALEC

The companies may be "liberal" in that they don't care about their employees' sexual preferences, or in that they realize that global warming is real.... but I bet you'll find them standing shoulder to shoulder with the rest of US corporations on issues of taxes, trade, regulation, etc.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,151,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One can be intimidated by more than looks... but the fact that you automatically thought of looks is kind of telling.

I'm not exactly a supermodel, and have been told flat-out that it was my intellectualism and outspoken nature that intimidates some men. It's literally one of the reasons my last relationship failed, because he was too insecure in his "dumb jock" status. Never mind that I never thought of or treated him as dumb! Even here on City-Data I've been told the same, and had male posters say things like "I'm just not used to women who speak their mind (against them)." Awwww, so sorry. LOL
Yes men don't like "outspoken " women that force their opinion on everyone and everyone else is wrong. SF is lousy with females just like that. Portland and Seattle too. See a trend????

Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,818,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Yes men don't like "outspoken " women that force their opinion on everyone and everyone else is wrong. SF is lousy with females just like that. Portland and Seattle too. See a trend????
Thanks for putting words in my mouth, but no - not even close to what I was saying, at least not in regards to myself. Anyone who knows me well knows I'm NOT the type to "force my opinion," and generally remain very open-minded to others. I'm just not afraid to say when and why I might disagree, which some folks (like you, I imagine) mistake for being "intolerant." Nah; you're free to have a differing opinion, in fact I welcome the challenge.

I wasn't even referring to controversial or political opinions, for the record. I only meant that a woman who has a MIND, and isn't afraid to exercise it, apparently threatens the masculinity of insecure men. I tend to avoid discussing those topics altogether (except maybe among friends/family), but even my opinions on stuff like movies and video games intimidates them.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Who said anything about forcing their opinion on everyone? Angry/bitter, much?

Some men aren't used to women who have much of an opinion at all. They're surprised when a woman in knowledgeable, and participates in a conversation as an equal. Actually, it's the men who tend to get pushy about their opinions. How interesting, that you would project that onto women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland