Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times

Advertisements

Very, very clever observations of life in San Francisco. Most of these 'contradictions' are spot on

https://medium.com/@tisdalisms/the-m...o-63717f9e4ecd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:32 PM

258 posts, read 230,108 times
Some are good but some of them are rather stupid. Example: "As above so below. Tech companies are bastions of liberal thought, but less than 3% black." It's not the tech companies' fault that black people rarely go into the technical field. And no, it's not because of racism - lots of companies would be very happy to hire black developers. It's just that they're very rare. Black people only make about 12% of total US population and black techies are a minority of a minority. In many years in software field in Boston I believe I've seen a couple of black programmers in college and that's it.

"Racism is a relic of the past. But most of the dwindling population of blacks in SF are still sequestered into the poorest sections of town." What does that have to do with racism?

"Nobody thinks it’s weird that about half of the couples feature a white dude and an Asian woman. Yet the other half is not Asian dude/white woman couples." To be fair I've seen a small amount of Asian dude/white woman couples but overall that's true. And it makes perfect sense - the white women in SF are so flaky, immature and liberal that nobody wants to deal with them. And that's why white dudes go with the Asian women - they tend to be more normal, if not conservative. I know I'd rather date an Asian than an locally born woman from Bay Area.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Very, very clever observations of life in San Francisco. Most of these 'contradictions' are spot on

https://medium.com/@tisdalisms/the-m...o-63717f9e4ecd
I don't agree with all of it. There are still French bakeries in San Francisco owned and run by French people; off hand I can think of Tartine, Arascault and Chantal Guillon & Arizmendi is Basque. There are still a number of 'old timers' in San Francisco who speak French, I know that because some of my family members are among them.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 AM

758 posts, read 550,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Some are good but some of them are rather stupid. Example: "As above so below. Tech companies are bastions of liberal thought, but less than 3% black." It's not the tech companies' fault that black people rarely go into the technical field. And no, it's not because of racism - lots of companies would be very happy to hire black developers. It's just that they're very rare. Black people only make about 12% of total US population and black techies are a minority of a minority. In many years in software field in Boston I believe I've seen a couple of black programmers in college and that's it.

"Racism is a relic of the past. But most of the dwindling population of blacks in SF are still sequestered into the poorest sections of town." What does that have to do with racism?

"Nobody thinks it’s weird that about half of the couples feature a white dude and an Asian woman. Yet the other half is not Asian dude/white woman couples." To be fair I've seen a small amount of Asian dude/white woman couples but overall that's true. And it makes perfect sense - the white women in SF are so flaky, immature and liberal that nobody wants to deal with them. And that's why white dudes go with the Asian women - they tend to be more normal, if not conservative. I know I'd rather date an Asian than an locally born woman from Bay Area.
Why do all the disagreements you mention having with the article concern race? Your reactivity seems to suggest that the author is spot on.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:

So because you say so we should automatically assume that these statements aren't true.

Got it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

And this is why the Bay Area women who have their act together have trouble getting dates. There's this myth about "thirsty" guys in SV, but they're not making any effort to talk to the local women, not even the ones they share an office or office complex with.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't agree with all of it. There are still French bakeries in San Francisco owned and run by French people; off hand I can think of Tartine, Arascault and Chantal Guillon & Arizmendi is Basque. There are still a number of 'old timers' in San Francisco who speak French, I know that because some of my family members are among them.
I run into some of those people out in the Avenues, occasionally. Nice people. This is the "old San Francisco" that I grew up with, and love. It's still alive and kicking.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And this is why the Bay Area women who have their act together have trouble getting dates.
From chatting with some of my single friends, it seems like many Bay Area dudes are too intimidated by normal women here.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
From chatting with some of my single friends, it seems like many Bay Area dudes are too intimidated by normal women here.

SF is an absolute sausage fest. Just like Seattle. If a woman has trouble finding dates in those two cities than they will most likely have trouble finding them everywhere else. This has been stated over and over again in city-data threads.

And please stop it with the intimidated talk. I've only seen a handful of women that have the type of looks that would come close to intimidating a man.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

SF is an absolute sausage fest. Just like Seattle. If a woman has trouble finding dates in those two cities than they will most likely have trouble finding them everywhere else. This has been stated over and over again in city-data threads.

And please stop it with the intimidated talk. I've only seen a handful of women that have the type of looks that would come close to intimidating a man.
Dude, chill out. I'm just sharing what some female friends have shared as part of their experience. I have no idea how accurate it is or how widespread. I'm sure there are plenty of nerdy dudes who can't easily talk to women though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland