Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 4,499 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be relocating to California from New Jersey. My Office will be in Alameda and I wish to rent an apartment which will have good elementary schools and good day care( 2 kids - grade 4 and pre-k).
Husband will find a job in and around bay area.
I will not be earning grt(100K) so can only afford 2bedroom houses/apartments with around $2500pm.
I have researched on zillow and cragslist in and around( with 7+ school ratings) - Dublin, Pleasanton, Fremont etc, however unable to find apartments that are decent.
Please suggest an area which will reach closest to my expectations.
Any other pointers to rent an apartment or schools, daycare etc. will also help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Can we assume you can't afford Alameda itself?

It's a wonderful and walkable, safe city with schools that have a positive reputation.

You might find it very useful for one of you to be in close proximity to the kids when issues with errands, school events, and shopping arise.

(You might also consider re-posting your question in the San Francisco - Oakland forum, as the East Bay cities you mention fall into that area on this board)

Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 4,499 times
Thanks Kettlepot, I will re-post it on the other forum.

I tried searching Alameda and found the houses being too old. There are some good schools however unable to find any houses within the school boundaries, but will definitely try to keep alameda as well in the list.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Um, did you look in Alameda? Make your commute as short as possible for your own sanity. Alameda schools are pretty good.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
Yes, just live in Alameda. If you are okay with a 2BR apartment you should be able to find something on the west side of the island, though it won't be fancy. Also check out Transitional Kindergarten for four-year-olds born in September, October, and November, if that happens to be your child.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Alameda's a great family-oriented community, good for kids, good schools. Dublin and Pleasanton are too far away for commuting.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushami View Post
Thanks Kettlepot, I will re-post it on the other forum.

I tried searching Alameda and found the houses being too old. There are some good schools however unable to find any houses within the school boundaries, but will definitely try to keep alameda as well in the list.
Check property management companies in the area. Alameda is relatively small, so openings will come up more rarely, than in a big city like Oakland, for example. The more sources you check regularly, the better your chances of finding something.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Definitely shoot for Alameda, it's a really nice community. The schools are good and the rent is often cheaper than in the Tri Valley area, plus a beach you can use! You won't find that anywhere else. You may be looking at a 2 bed/ 1 bath place at your price point but you would pay the same in Pleasanton for a 1 bedroom.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Live in Alameda itself. There are several apartments and flats in the $2500 range. Location is ideal, schools are good. If you are concerned about "old" housing, then might I suggest you not consider the Bay Area? Alameda has the largest concentration of Victorian homes west of the Mississippi, for example, and most modest houses in the area were built pre-WWII. Most of the post-WWII housing in the area consists of apartment blocks or large homes that come with equally large price tags.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...min_bedrooms=2

Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Live in Alameda itself. There are several apartments and flats in the $2500 range. Location is ideal, schools are good. If you are concerned about "old" housing, then might I suggest you not consider the Bay Area? Alameda has the largest concentration of Victorian homes west of the Mississippi, for example, and most modest houses in the area were built pre-WWII. Most of the post-WWII housing in the area consists of apartment blocks or large homes that come with equally large price tags.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...min_bedrooms=2
Wow, the OP could get a SFH within her budget! There's a great listing, there. But she doesn't seem to want an "old house"? I would go for the privacy and homey-ness of a SFH. Oh well; there are plenty of other options at your link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland