Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into Albany or Alameda? I think they will be much more to your liking; they are older, established cities with good schools, good bike/pedestrian facilities, and large traditional shopping districts. In the Lamorinda area, only Lafayette could meet your wants, and even then only if you live very close to downtown. If you don't like the Lamorinda area, you probably won't like Larkspur (or adjacent Corte Madera) either, as they are even smaller than Lafayette. I would advise against Piedmont, as it is very residential (not particularly walkable) and you would have to travel to Oakland for anything and everything (including some of the most crowded grocery stores and congested freeways in the entire Bay Area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 11:40 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Downtown Lafayette IS walkable...perhaps you missed the main street entirely? There's a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's CVS, Walgreens, restaurants/stores, Safeway, several Starbucks/Peet's---now even a Philz coffee. Walnut Creek's Target is an exit or two away from Lafayette also-literally 5 minutes away.

Although, I'm unable to walk because I live in the hilly parts with windy roads, the majority of the downtown area and all of the housing surrounding the area is walkable. Many kids here walk to school along a bikeway/pedestrian trail that runs through many parts of the town.

Moraga is very walkable with sidewalks, but few shops/commerical areas--very quiet town. Orinda has more of a walkable downtown and cool shops, but sleepier than Lafayette. Also, I find their downtown weird because the freeway cuts through two sides of their downtown.

The schools in each of the towns are excellent---some of the best in the state, and I'm fairly sure that one can still choose/apply any of the schools depending on different factors (like if school doesn't offer German, and your child wants to learn German, will allow an intradistrict transfer),so there are many kids attending Moraga's or Orinda's high school but live in Lafayette---and vice versa.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
What about Lowell High in SF? Its a public magnet school that is one of the best high schools in California.
Lowell is also the most requested school in the SF public system and uses a lottery to choose what 1% of applicants to accept, which is too risky to depend on for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Why not just move out of SF when the kiddos get closer to high school age? Or put them through private school at that point?
We don't want the children to have to switch school systems part way through and make all new connections if we can help it.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Did you actually walk in Lafayette? The Main Street is several blocks long with business and just a few minutes away from Walnut Creek with a lot of shopping. Larkspur is much less walkable imho. School in in Lafayette are very good.
Thanks for the mention! We'll give Lafayette another look. We mostly saw Orinda and Moraga.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _mizzar View Post
Lowell is also the most requested school in the SF public system and uses a lottery to choose what 1% of applicants to accept, which is too risky to depend on for us.

We don't want the children to have to switch school systems part way through and make all new connections if we can help it.

This is very reasonable
Staying in SAn Francisco and being dependent on public schools is a gamble.
I don't understand the folks saying stay in SF.
3 kids in private schools is very expensive

Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Have you looked into Albany or Alameda? I think they will be much more to your liking; they are older, established cities with good schools, good bike/pedestrian facilities, and large traditional shopping districts. In the Lamorinda area, only Lafayette could meet your wants, and even then only if you live very close to downtown. If you don't like the Lamorinda area, you probably won't like Larkspur (or adjacent Corte Madera) either, as they are even smaller than Lafayette. I would advise against Piedmont, as it is very residential (not particularly walkable) and you would have to travel to Oakland for anything and everything (including some of the most crowded grocery stores and congested freeways in the entire Bay Area).
The housing stock in Albany is not very good for a family of 5.
Of the 13 homes for sale only 2 are above 1600 square feet. Cheek and jowl with 3 kids and later when they are teenagers ? Not fun

Old 01-22-2019, 02:57 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Private high school for 3 kids can easily run from $45k to $120k+ a year.
Ok, and? Lots of people pay it because they can't stand the idea of junior going to *screams* public school. Idk what her rent/mortgage cost is like right now, but $1.5mil + for a good school district vs cost for private school 10 yrs from now. I saved enough for a house downpayment in 5 years.

She's asking a bit much for a car-less walkable area in the burbs imo, especially with 3 kids in tow. I don't get the connections thing unless you're moving out of the Bay Area but that's her choice.

I also think she should consider Alameda but it doesn't have the same prestige as Lamorinda or Piedmont.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Ok, and? Lots of people pay it because they can't stand the idea of junior going to *screams* public school. Idk what her rent/mortgage cost is like right now, but $1.5mil + for a good school district vs cost for private school 10 yrs from now. I saved enough for a house downpayment in 5 years.

She's asking a bit much for a car-less walkable area in the burbs imo, especially with 3 kids in tow. I don't get the connections thing unless you're moving out of the Bay Area but that's her choice.

I also think she should consider Alameda but it doesn't have the same prestige as Lamorinda or Piedmont.
lots of people don't pay it SF has the lowest percentage of children in the nation
SAN Francisco has a notorious lotto system if you don't get into a good elementary school your kid could end up going to crappy school with kids whose parents are named little joker and mac 10 this is why SAN Francisco has the lowest children per capita of any city in the nation. Most parents don't like the odds. Very few people can afford to buy a nice home and pay for private school in SAN Francisco and if $1.5 million is the budget that's not the price point for paying $30k each per year for 3 kids

If the op has Mortgage interest tax deduction vs 90k per year Non deductible tuition for 3 kids then buying in a good school district is the cost effective move. Personally I would pay for private school but the low percentage of children in SAN Francisco indicate it's not the prudent choice

NYC has higher housing prices and more per capita kids because if you buy a nice place in park slope your assigned to a good local school

Last edited by ssmaster; 01-22-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The housing stock in Albany is not very good for a family of 5.
Of the 13 homes for sale only 2 are above 1600 square feet. Cheek and jowl with 3 kids and later when they are teenagers ? Not fun
Zillow only has 4 houses in Albany listed period. Of those 4, 2 of them have 4 bedrooms. One is listed at $998K, and the other is listed at $1.38 million.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Zillow only has 4 houses in Albany listed period. Of those 4, 2 of them have 4 bedrooms. One is listed at $998K, and the other is listed at $1.38 million.
I did not have the filter limited to single family homes.
Only one of those 4 bedrooms homes is above 1600 square feet.
4 bedrooms in 1560 sq feet is tight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland