Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
They are not my numbers. I have heard people on CD claim that "only" 30%. Thus, although many homeless have cellphones and text messaging and email (check out the library computers), those are not necessary to spread the word that place X is better than place Y. Ha. ha.
I can’t believe this is part of a discussion about the homeless. I’m well aware there were ways of communicating prior to cell phones and computers, but I kind of figured the homeless wouldn’t have a list of addresses they could handwrite a letter to (or landlines to call either lol). I think you are missing the point with your ‘homeless contacting other homeless for better services’ thing - cell phones, landlines, mail nor carrier pigeons are the issue here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
So, homeless people communicate to each other which places, cities, and regions provide services. Then they head there to the extent they can.
I have heard this from several people who've talked to the homeless. Word definitely gets around easily.

Quote:
I know I know someone is going to come on here and assert that only 30% or some such people who are homeless are from elsewhere. Set aside the silliness of that claim--no one collects data on where people lived 5 years ago, they ask "Where were you living before you were on the street?" And the answer to that may very well be "SF".
Some "non-profit" in my city wants to open a shelter/resource center for the homeless, they claim it'll only be for the homeless in our city. When people questioned how they would verify, the answer was basically they would just take their word for it.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I have heard this from several people who've talked to the homeless. Word definitely gets around easily

Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Am I the only one that spends tons of time in SF and rarely sees homeless people?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Am I the only one that spends tons of time in SF and rarely sees homeless people?
Probably - I don’t know how you’re missing it.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-07-2019 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I'm a nurse...my instinct is the ABC's of survival to help people. I worked in the ER for 3 yrs before critical care. I've seen a lot of homeless. N E V E R have i thought about blaming liberals or anyone on a forum about it. Seems really pious & detached.
Which way do you vote, just curious ?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Where do you hang out? Do you stay in one area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
What? An emoji response doesn't tell me much.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Which way do you vote, just curious ?
I would have said the very same comment had you blamed Republicans, Trump or Mickey Mouse.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Zerohedge, really?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/zero-hedge/

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I would have said the very same comment had you blamed Republicans, Trump or Mickey Mouse.
Well there we go, we have a winner. Funny how progressives look up all puzzled when their various initiatives backfire in a cascading and exponential manner. Never occurs to them to look inward. Well, as they would like to blame Trump or Bush (as they used to like clockwork on all fronts), here in Cali, there is no such venue of escape. They are imprisoned in the system they set up.

Someday the tide will turn on them, pendulum swings back, karma is a *****, and it will get rough on y'all. In the meanwhile, enjoy the free methadone/injection needles, heroin, meth, pot, attracting homeless, high taxes, illegal immigrants, gang members whose felonies have been reduced to misdemeanors (109/47/57), bans on everything firearms while making legal almost every drug, demoralized police, shrinking blue collar workers who leave for other states, high housing, high rent, the list goes on, and you'll do your best to add to it continuously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland