Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:22 PM

82 posts, read 126,890 times

Advertisements

Anybody know any parts of the bay area where kids still play outside? My wife and I are looking for an area to move to for our 3 school age kids. I grew up here and back in the 1980's there were lots of kids playing outside, but now I don't see much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 PM

106 posts, read 235,505 times
I'm curious - do kids play outside where you're coming from? Wondering whether this is a geographic thing or just a change in the times?

I also grew up in the 80s and in my neighborhood, all the kids lived at the park, biked up and down streets, and went home when the street lights turned on. I think that type of environment is just a thing of the past.

However, in Fremont every single park is overrun with kids playing every weekend, so this does happen. I think the frequency is lower due to the need for parental supervision and busy-ness during the week.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post
I'm curious - do kids play outside where you're coming from? Wondering whether this is a geographic thing or just a change in the times?

I also grew up in the 80s and in my neighborhood, all the kids lived at the park, biked up and down streets, and went home when the street lights turned on. I think that type of environment is just a thing of the past.

However, in Fremont every single park is overrun with kids playing every weekend, so this does happen. I think the frequency is lower due to the need for parental supervision and busy-ness during the week.
I agree with this. It's just a change of times. I grew up in Berkeley. Was a kid in the 70's and a pre teen and teenager in the 80's and outside is where I was.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
When I lived in Sunnyvale, I'd often see kids out playing (at the park or around their complexes) when the weather allowed. San Francisco is different because it's more urban, but in most of our suburbs I think you can still find that.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,615,897 times
Mission Bay. They have a kids park with tons of little kids playing. Lots of nanies as well.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...4d-122.3925957

Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
There are many parts of Berkeley and Oakland were kids play outside. Both cities have skate parks for older kids, who are into that. Kids all over Marin County play outside, too. The question is, can you afford these places? There are towns in Marin, that have beautiful redwood forest-parks, right in town. They're usually full of kids. Take a look at Mill Valley and Larkspur. Also at the Montclair neighborhood in the Oakland hills has a great playground for small kids, and there are other beautiful parks nearby, for older kids to bike to.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,984,578 times
Kids play outside in most suburbs or neighborhoods that are not full of traffic or other dangers. In addition, much of this dynamic happens when the kids living nearby are all similar in age.

My kids used to play outside when they were friends with the neighborhood kids---now not at all after the usual disagreements, fights and hard feelings that afflict most children at any given time.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Anybody know any parts of the bay area where kids still play outside? My wife and I are looking for an area to move to for our 3 school age kids. I grew up here and back in the 1980's there were lots of kids playing outside, but now I don't see much.
They're all inside sitting behind a screen getting fat and lazy.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post

I currently live in Oakland hills, there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood, but nobody is outside, ever. The only time we ever see the other kids is when their parents car pulls into the garage and they get out before the car closes. And all of the parents have friends already from before they moved into the neighborhood and don't seem interested in making friends with any of the people who live near them.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When I lived in Sunnyvale, I'd often see kids out playing (at the park or around their complexes) when the weather allowed. San Francisco is different because it's more urban, but in most of our suburbs I think you can still find that.
When I grew up in San Francisco in the 1980's there were kids all over in the street every day. Not anymore, but I would like to find an area like that somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland