Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I recently volunteered at a local library's ESL conversation club. I befriended a group of young women in this club, who are highly educated women from several countries, including India, Brazil, China and Russia.

I have encountered situations where some of these women have been very critical of American customs. Sometimes, they are just simple things.

For instance, I recently was criticized by a couple of these women for the way I was eating an orange. I grew up in the SF Bay Area with neighbors who grew their own oranges. So, I am no stranger to eating oranges.

But, they thought it was crazy to bother to peel an orange rather than cut it up. I told them that I preferred to peel an orange and then eat the segments, unless the orange was too difficult to peel. That way, I could just eat the segments with my hands without the mess of juice, etc., when you eat a slice cut with a knife.

For some reason, they thought it was less civilized to peel the orange and then eat the segments, rather than eat a cut slice. To me, that was much messier.

This is just a very simple example, even though I have encountered many other situations where new immigrants have been critical of how we do things here as Americans - in our own country.

I love the immigrants I have met. But, I would just like to suggest that if you are an immigrant to America - or any other country - you might want to try to fit in instead of be critical. I know it's really hard to be far from your home country. But, if you are here, you will be much happier if you try to fit in.

As far as what I expect from this forum - I guess anyone who is having a hard time fitting in or anyone who has had an experience where someone has been unwilling to fit in - would be welcome to respond.

Again, I welcome immigrants to Silicon Valley. But, I'd like to suggest that you might be happier if you sincerely try to fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:46 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Hmmm. Our so called president eats pizza and KFC with a knife and fork. Some Irish friends of mine thought it was rude that some people, particularly Asian, ask guests to take their shoes off before entering their houses. They thought it was “snooty” or formal and rude.

I totally get the “when in Rome” mantra, but I was taught certain things that others may never had heard let alone taught. I used to wait tables and some people thought nothing of flossing their teeth at their table and leaving floss/toothpicks on their plates. Weird, gross, strange... and these people were Americans. When I lived in a fairly rural part of Ireland, American tourists would get pissy if the bartenders in the pubs didn’t know what a “Cosmo” or margarita was.

Being polite, however and acting humble should be the way to go whenever visiting/travelling or living in a new country. It’s all too easy to get upset ur offended nowadays over small things.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
How someone eats an orange is a weird thing for them to be upset about. I've also had issues with my immigrant neighbors not understanding why I wouldn't want them walking in my yard to take a "shortcut" to their house. Even after mentioning privacy and how they were damaging my plants they still didn't seem to understand.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Being polite, however and acting humble should be the way to go whenever visiting/travelling or living in a new country.
I guess this is my point. It's easy to find a community within a new country, where you can feel superior, above the local customs compared to your customs at home. But, if you have any desire to fit in, you need to learn the customs where you are.

Part of what irritates me about this - and I'm someone who really tries hard to accept everyone - is for someone from a different country who comes to my country to improve their lives, yet, they treat me as inferior based on my supposed social class.

What's really ironic about this is that they will never be "equal" to me in this country, as a non-citizen. Yet, sometimes they behave as though they are superior to me - in my own country - because they make more money than me.

I love our immigrants. Let me make that very clear again. But, I am irritated by the immigrants who make more money than many Americans, who treat legal Americans who earn less money - as lower class citizens than them. I just find this interesting, to say the least, because as non-citizens, they will never be equal to any citizen - whether they make less money or not than them.

Being treated like I was some kind of uncouth peasant because of the way I was eating an orange, for instance, made me think about this situation.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
How someone eats an orange is a weird thing for them to be upset about. I've also had issues with my immigrant neighbors not understanding why I wouldn't want them walking in my yard to take a "shortcut" to their house. Even after mentioning privacy and how they were damaging my plants they still didn't seem to understand.
Yeah, that would really irritate me. Some things just seem so obvious. It's hard to imagine that they'd really be okay with people crossing their own property and smashing their plants. I have a hard time believing they'd really be okay with that.

Yes, it was a really weird situation regarding the oranges. I was at a casual lunch get-together, and several women from Brazil and Russia, made comments about the fact I was peeling an orange and eating the segments with my hands, while they were cutting the oranges (that I'd brought, given to me by a neighbor), and asked me, didn't I think it was harder to peel the oranges than to cut them into slices.

I said I would rather eat segments with my hands, as I found it more of a hassle to eat slices.

The attitude I got, was an attitude that it was lower-class to eat the oranges my way. It's hard to convey the attitude in writing here, but it was condescending and judgmental - which was really confusing for me, as we had all been very friendly for many months.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:19 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
I'm neither a Trump supporter, nor a Republican, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Hmmm. Our so called president eats pizza and KFC with a knife and fork. Some Irish friends of mine thought it was rude that some people, particularly Asian, ask guests to take their shoes off before entering their houses. They thought it was “snooty” or formal and rude.

I totally get the “when in Rome” mantra, but I was taught certain things that others may never had heard let alone taught. I used to wait tables and some people thought nothing of flossing their teeth at their table and leaving floss/toothpicks on their plates. Weird, gross, strange... and these people were Americans. When I lived in a fairly rural part of Ireland, American tourists would get pissy if the bartenders in the pubs didn’t know what a “Cosmo” or margarita was.

Being polite, however and acting humble should be the way to go whenever visiting/travelling or living in a new country. It’s all too easy to get upset ur offended nowadays over small things.
Pot meet kettle.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
I wouldn't be sharing any of my oranges with that beach.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm neither a Trump supporter, nor a Republican, but.....

Pot meet kettle.
...and how is that? What did I express that came off as rude to you?

That DJT is not a real president, or that I suggested that people act humble when visiting or living in another country? Appears that you're just trying to start a dumb argument with me as some posters tend to do on these forums. No apologies for my post.

Last edited by clongirl; 02-26-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 11:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I've also had issues with my immigrant neighbors not understanding why I wouldn't want them walking in my yard to take a "shortcut" to their house. Even after mentioning privacy and how they were damaging my plants they still didn't seem to understand.
My mom had this problem. Her next door neighbor opened up a home daycare and all her clients would walk up my mom's driveway, cross her lawn and walk between (or over) her plants to get to the neighbors driveway. She mentioned it to her neighbor, but it didn't improve and her clients apparently didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with doing that. My mom got fed up and put up a fence between the two properties. Problem solved. The neighbor and most of her clients are immigrants (but I don't thing that has anything to do with it).

And about the orange, I think it's simply rude to comment on how people eat (as though one way is better or more proper than the other).

Old 02-26-2019, 02:05 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Some groups just don't do a good job when it comes to cultural assimilation. There's been plenty of research done on this and the groups that do worst are Indians and Chinese immigrants.
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...rica-5858.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland