Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:30 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times

Advertisements

Try tapping the pic to see the view.
I do cool ass stuff in Frisco.
Yup contrary to most I say Frisco.
Been here most of my life so I can say what I want.
Most of the “red and white” are my friends.
On third street I have built all the major UCSF research centers.
The locals are good folks.
The transplants treat locals well
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,569,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Try tapping the pic to see the view.
I do cool ass stuff in Frisco.
Yup contrary to most I say Frisco.
Been here most of my life so I can say what I want.
Most of the “red and white” are my friends.
On third street I have built all the major UCSF research centers.
The locals are good folks.
The transplants treat locals well
Andy.
Frisco is a town in Collin County Texas, #1 best city to live last yr....I've lived here a couple yrs, my ex husband was relocated to Frisco from Torrance as part of the big Toyota relo. So...it's very confusing for you to call Sf & their rental prices "Frisco", cause I can tell you Frisco's 1-br apts. are not 3690 a month!

Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
Oh really.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

OMG....unbelievable!!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:15 PM

381 posts, read 348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Maybe you should ask the (approximately) 19 million tourists who visit annually; but since you are asking me - exceptional panoramic views, the Bay, sailing, weather, proximity to wine country and the ocean, etc.

Tourists dont pay 3.5k a month.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,738,879 times
The main issue is that there haven't been enough new units built for the increase in population. And not just population living in SF (city). But the number of new jobs in SF, because people can live near SF and commute. Those commute cities have similar issues too, just not as bad.

It's not a case of 1 person who rented a 1 bedroom 10 years ago for $1500, is now renting a 1 bedroom for $3,500. There are now probably 3 or 4 people living in a 1 bedroom. Or 6 people living in a 3 bedroom

I lived in SF many years ago. It was expensive then, but cheaper living was done by renting a room (1 person to a room) in a 2-4 bedroom apartment. Now it's more like sardines. I'm talking in generalities. Obviously there are very high income people living alone. I have seen roommate ads for places that have 20+ roommates in the same house. I guess it's 4 to a room??? I saw a few of those. I never heard of such a thing more than 10 years ago.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,782,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
The main issue is that there haven't been enough new units built for the increase in population. And not just population living in SF (city). But the number of new jobs in SF, because people can live near SF and commute. Those commute cities have similar issues too, just not as bad.

It's not a case of 1 person who rented a 1 bedroom 10 years ago for $1500, is now renting a 1 bedroom for $3,500. There are now probably 3 or 4 people living in a 1 bedroom. Or 6 people living in a 3 bedroom

I lived in SF many years ago. It was expensive then, but cheaper living was done by renting a room (1 person to a room) in a 2-4 bedroom apartment. Now it's more like sardines. I'm talking in generalities. Obviously there are very high income people living alone. I have seen roommate ads for places that have 20+ roommates in the same house. I guess it's 4 to a room??? I saw a few of those. I never heard of such a thing more than 10 years ago.
I am of the opinion with facebook and salesforce and similar corporations moving into SF they are bringing in people who can afford to pay this much and those that cant are relocating

Last edited by ssmaster; 03-27-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,738,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
I am of the opinion with facebook and salesforce moving into SF they are bringing in people who can afford to pay this much and those that cant are relocating

people can relocate. they can also stay and find more roommates. and others can move in with huge incomes and rent a place alone. all can happen at the same time.

just looking at craigslist, there is:

1 room for rent for $1500+, in a 12 bedroom house. Now I don't think the house was originally 12 bedrooms. Most likely shared rooms like a living room got changed into a bedroom and possibly larger rooms split into 2. Anyway, that's 12 people to a house.

Another ad: 30 roommates in one house. $950 to share a room and $1650 for a private room. Looks like living in a dorm. The single room looks the size of a jail cell, if that. Can you imagine sharing a kitchen w 30 people?

I'm comparing these possible living situations, to what what happening around late 90s to 2010 or so. I just looked at the first few Craigslist listing to find these ads. I never heard of anything like that when I was living there.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:56 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Tourists dont pay 3.5k a month.
They are paying time and money to vacation here - so the point is, there is a lot to love about the Bay Area (whether one chooses to live here or not).

Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,689 times
Crazy! With the constant flood of people leaving that we are told about every day on this board, I would have expected for the price to be $650
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland