Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

I recently just remodeled my house and had all my electrical upgraded to a smart panel while the walls were open. Comcast came out today to set up internet but the city cable line had not been wired back into the house. He said he could do it, but it would basically just drill a hole into the house, which would end up in the corner of the newly built bedroom. For reference, the smart panel is in the closet of the new bedroom.
He said the contractor/electrician should have wired into the panel when the walls were open.

I contacted the Project Manager and he said he doesn't think that was part of the scope of work for the electrician and it should be Comcast. Does anyone know who is correct? Skill wise, couldn't the electrician handle it?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Electrician is responsible to pull the wire to the panel, that's part of the job. Your GC should be responsible - get him on the horn and tell them you have a workmanship defect you want remedied asap, and that their sub didn't complete their work.

Comcast is useless for wiring your house anyway. They will just drill a hole in the closest exterior wall to the drop. Because they are lazy and their techs don't know much about fishing wire.

However, they are correct in their assessment of the situation in this instance.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times
Wait a minute.....before assigning blame/responsibility......what was identified in the Scope of Work the Project Manager is referring to ? Did you, as the client, identify in the Scope of Work that you wanted a wire run between point A and point B for device C ? If you did, then it is cut and dried, it should state who is responsible for that work. The SOW is "the" document used to ensure the client gets the product he/she paid for, and ensures the client pays for what he/she got. Anything not included in the SOW or as a signed change order to the SOW, is out of scope and not part of the contract. There are never line items left open in a SOW for assumptions.

I do agree with the statement about the cable installer...I would never let them wire my home. A cable/telco installer who takes pride in his/her work is 1 in 10.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 03-11-2019 at 05:27 AM..

Old 03-11-2019, 04:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Wait a minute.....before assigning blame/responsibility......what was identified in the Scope of Work the Project Manager is referring to ? Did you, as the client, identify in the Scope of Work that you wanted a wire run between point A and point B for device C ? If you did, then it is cut and dried, it should state who is responsible for that work. The SOW is "the" document used to ensure the client gets the product he/she paid for, and ensures the client pays for what he/she got. Anything not included in the SOW or as a signed change order to the SOW, is out of scope and not part of the contract. There are never line items left open in a SOW for assumptions.

I do agree with the statement about the cable installer...I would never let them wire my home. A cable/telco installer who takes pride in his/her work is 1 in 10.

Regards
Gemstone1
But the assumption in a remodel that if a new service panel is installed it includes making the connections that were formerly in another outlet and were disconnected from the old termination point whatever that was. There'd be little point in installing but not connecting a new panel, now would there?

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,307 times
Are you disconnected from the street itself, or just from the exterior Comcast panel on your house into your house?

Check your scope of work to see what was and wasn't included. A well written scope would include restoring what was disconnected.

The house I recently purchased had no cable line, so a Comcast tech had to hook me up to the grid. He installed a box next to my exterior power panel, and then wired into my house via an existing opening in my living room floor a few feet from the exterior panel. This involved him going into my crawl space to run the wire. I thought he did a very good job, but YMMV.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Thanks Everybody for your input. I'm on the grid, just need to get the coaxl back into the house in a way that is not an eye sore. It was previously in before, so I just assumed that when upgrading the electrical and rewiring the entire house that would be included back in. I spoke with the foreman today and he will call the electrician. The contractor will snake the wire externally so it's hidden as much as possible and only enters into the closet where the panel is. Not perfect since it's not in the wall, but I can get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland