Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 AM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemb View Post
Tiburon is so close to Corte Madera. And one of the best grocers in all of Marin County is right there: Paradise Market.

I'm sure it will exceed all of your standards!
That's a good one.

But then,
so is Safeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Grocery stores in the San Francisco area? Really, do they have them there??.. Seriously, I was wondering where are the grocery stores when I went there on vacation. There really seems to be a shortage of them or good ones at that. I noticed that right away.
When I lived there, I did all my shopping in San Bruno, South City (South San Francisco) or Daly City. Lower sales tax and better variety of stores.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 89,129 times
That's what I noticed when I was up in San Francisco.Where are all the grocery stores for such a large population base,in fact I think I only saw one grocery store,but I think it was across the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Grocery stores in the San Francisco area? Really, do they have them there??.. Seriously, I was wondering where are the grocery stores when I went there on vacation. There really seems to be a shortage of them or good ones at that. I noticed that right away.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie30 View Post
That's what I noticed when I was up in San Francisco.Where are all the grocery stores for such a large population base,in fact I think I only saw one grocery store,but I think it was across the bay.
There are plenty of grocery stores here, just not right downtown (and other places the tourists generally stay). I live in the southeast corner, and within 3 miles we have a FoodsCo, Bell Market, Trader Joe's (maybe 4 miles), Whole Foods, GIANT Safeway, and Rainbow Market - in addition to a few smaller markets. So they definitely exist here!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 68,520 times
"Not only that, But Ive lived in Beverly Hills before and now live in Tiburon-and there is no comparison as to which is better...Tiburon by a mile."

I currently live in Marin County and am thinking of moving to Santa Barbara or West LA to better pursue commercial modeling and tv/film production. Curious as to what are the contributing factors in you ranking Tib over B.Hills?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:28 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,735,653 times
Try the Mollie Stone supermarket in Greenbrae (Bon Air shopping center). Also check out Andronico market in San Anselmo. That's about as hi-end as it gets.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 PM

70 posts, read 375,528 times
I posted my last post before having gone to stay in Tiburon. I loved the Boardwalk Market. What is wrong with that one? That had just everything I needed. Good quality things as well. I didn't visit any other supermarkets in Tiburon after I went to that one on the first day. I just kept going back to that one.

I went to the one in Mill Valley that you talked about. Quite nice. I prefer that one, but then I would only shop in Tiburon if I didn't want to go further. Just drive a little further. Tiburon has a law to keep out all franchise chainstores so they will never get a Whole Foods, even if they want one and would love to bend the rules for that franchise.

Boardwalk market had a great wine selection, prepared foods section, and everything else, I needed. I was very pleased with it, but then I have lived abroad in Taipei for the past 11 years. We have plenty of gourmet grocery stores here, but not with so much Organic selection, and other high-end choices I had not seen. Our choices tend toward the European and Japanese high-end here.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM

342 posts, read 1,928,091 times
This thread cracks me up. I was in Tiburon over the weekend and stopped in one of the grocery stores. It was the IGA grocery store in the shopping center with a Blockbuster video. First of all, I grew up in a mostly rural part of Virginia. The only IGA grocery stores in Virginia were in very poor rural areas. IGA equaled dirt poor. Imagine my shock when I saw the IGA sign when entering this grocery store in Tiburon. It was even worse when I got inside. It was probably the worst grocery store I have ever seen anywhere in California and I have lived all over California. It was ugly, cheap looking, and had a terrible selection. Nothing gourmet. Very bare bones and basic. And this in one of the wealthiest communities in the country. Very bizarre. I do not understand how this place stays in business. Fortunately the Safeway I visited on Frontage Road is very big and good.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
This thread cracks me up. I was in Tiburon over the weekend and stopped in one of the grocery stores. It was the IGA grocery store in the shopping center with a Blockbuster video. First of all, I grew up in a mostly rural part of Virginia. The only IGA grocery stores in Virginia were in very poor rural areas. IGA equaled dirt poor. Imagine my shock when I saw the IGA sign when entering this grocery store in Tiburon. It was even worse when I got inside. It was probably the worst grocery store I have ever seen anywhere in California and I have lived all over California. It was ugly, cheap looking, and had a terrible selection. Nothing gourmet. Very bare bones and basic. And this in one of the wealthiest communities in the country. Very bizarre. I do not understand how this place stays in business. Fortunately the Safeway I visited on Frontage Road is very big and good.
Huh. After reading this, I was sure that when I looked it up, it would actually be in Marin City. But it actually is smack dab in the middle of Tiburon, and just steps from Belvedere which is even more exclusive. Bizarre.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,169,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Lots of wealthy suburban areas around US, including Greenwich CT, have crappy grocery stores and restaurants...often reveals that money doesn't buy good taste...

Marin is a rather mockable place w/lots of less-educated/sophisticated "bridge&tunnel" money, sort of like LA's OC/SFV suburbs....most w/serious money who work in SF's financial district live in SF's PacificHts/PresidioHts...

And most of the wealth in SF region lives in PaloAlto/Woodside/Atherton area...which has excellent grocery stores (like Draeger's in Menlo)....but crappy restaurants...

City of SF's grocery stores also suck; some who live in PacHts drive 35mis down to Draeger's in Menlo to get groceries....SF's best restaurants are solid, but weaker overall than those in BeverlyHills area or in Chicago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland