Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM

605 posts, read 863,119 times

Advertisements

Cities That Need a Vacation

SF Numero Uno?! Wha?
----- seems so looks like Southern CA aren't much less of workaholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 88,208 times
Great article!

And YES -- I do need a vacation!!!

Quote:
99 San Francisco, CA F

Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
I haven't had a real weekend in months, on top of a ridiculous commute and late hours all year... so yes, I need a vacation!! Thankfully I'm sort of getting it now, with 7 days off between tomorrow and the 21st - they're just not in a row, since I have to work next Monday-Wednesday. Good enough, though!

I think we beat out LA because our overall cost-of-living is higher, so we're forced to work more days/hours... I would have loved to take the full 10 days off this month, but HAD to work a few in order to pay rent (I don't get paid vacation until my new job starts). And the reason I haven't had a real weekend in months? I've been "moonlighting" on weekends at another library, since my current job isn't giving me quite enough money. My new job has better hours and a higher salary, so thankfully my situation will be getting better soon. But for many people in this area, working too much is just a way of life - sad but true.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-11-2008 at 02:35 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times
A nice vacation would definitely be nice.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I haven't had a real weekend in months, on top of a ridiculous commute and late hours all year... so yes, I need a vacation!! Thankfully I'm sort of getting it now, with 7 days off between tomorrow and the 21st - they're just not in a row, since I have to work next Monday-Wednesday. Good enough, though!

I think we beat out LA because our overall cost-of-living is higher, so we're forced to work more days/hours... I would have loved to take the full 10 days off this month, but HAD to work a few in order to pay rent (I don't get paid vacation until my new job starts). And the reason I haven't had a real weekend in months? I've been "moonlighting" on weekends at another library, since my current job isn't giving me quite enough money. My new job has better hours and a higher salary, so thankfully my situation will be getting better soon. But for many people in this area, working too much is just a way of life - sad but true.
Could ya get a massage or go to the Marin Headlands for a day? China Camp Beach? Take it easy!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,267,944 times
A week in Cabo starting a month from today! I take about one day every two weeks off just to stay even with all the home chores

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
My schedule is: work 8-4 M-F, jog down to the South Bay once or twice a week for rehearsals, give a few piano lessons a week, and the rest of my time is spent practicing the piano. At this point if I had vacation time I wouldn't even know what to do with it.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Cities That Need a Vacation

SF Numero Uno?! Wha?
----- seems so looks like Southern CA aren't much less of workaholics.

Wow, I didn't think SF ranked so high; other cities like Denver and Orlando surprised me too. And I was surprised Ny was so far down on the list as well as LA, especially since Anaheim was up there. I didn't even see San Diego on there. I think it's so laid back here and every weekend can feel like a mini vacation, especially this weekend with 70's and 80's at the beach. I'm not exactly working really hard or making a ton of money but I'm enjoying life, and to me that is what matters the most.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Could ya get a massage or go to the Marin Headlands for a day? China Camp Beach? Take it easy!
Today I slept really late, and took my dog to the park for about 1.5 hours... came home, kicked off my shoes, and plan to spend the rest of tonight in front of the TV. Now THAT'S a vacation! I do want a massage, though, so maybe I'll schedule one for next week. Ahhhhhhhhh.

And what about this weather? It was so gorgeous today! A little warm for my taste, but we needed that after a cold & long winter. I'm thinking beach on Sunday, maybe Baker or Fort Funston...

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-11-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM

Cabo? Now that is living!!!!!

These sound great--I'm always working too hard, my head is full of hamsters running on their wheels, I don't even really do anything for fun, and my exercise regimen has slacked for over a year!
Time to get going!!!!

What a life! lol, things will start to look up, I gotta look for it, just been very lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland