Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 01:16 PM

225 posts, read 382,641 times

Advertisements

Or, is it a new fare each time you board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,892 times
I have not been on a cable car in years, but it's public transit, and all the transit in bay area uses clipper.

"Clipper is the all-in-one transit card for the Bay Area. Use your Clipper card on all Bay Area transit systems, including Muni. "

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/fares

Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,064 times
You can use Clipper, but it is priced per ride ($7) every time you board.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Or, is it a new fare each time you board?
As a visitor you can buy a 1,3 or 7 day muni visitor passport. This will allow for multiple cable car rides with one pass. The 1 day passport is only $12 as a phone app from Muni Mobile but $23 for the paper pass.

https://www.sfmta.com/fares/1-day-visitor-passport

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/fares

"A Visitor Passport can be purchased at ticket kiosks, on Clipper, via MuniMobile ® and sales locations for 1, 3, or 7 consecutive days of unlimited rides on Muni, Muni Metro, historic streetcars, and cable cars"

Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/muni/faq.do

Quote:
How do I use Clipper on the cable cars?

Simply hand your Clipper card to the conductor. The conductor will use a handheld card reader to confirm that your card has a valid pass or Passport or, if it doesn't, to deduct the appropriate fare from your card's cash value balance.
You can create a Clipper Card account and then you can go online and buy a pass that's added to it, or you can add cash to it.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:06 PM

45 posts, read 87,980 times
You can buy a 1,3 or 7 day pass (you can buy the pass in either a Clipper card format <cheaper> or a paper format <more expensive>). These passes include cable car rides and the rides are unlimited.

If you don't buy a pass, then the fare to ride the cable car is $7 per cable car ride. I suggest you buy a day pass and buy the pass in the Clipper card format, not the paper format.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 AM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
Beware--there is a less expensive Muni day and multi-day pass now that does not include the cable car. It does include the F street cars, however.

In any case, if you are riding cable cars using only cash value on a Clipper card, you will be charged $7.00 per ride. If you have a Muni pass of some kind linked to a Clipper Card that includes the cable car (daily or monthly) you may ride the cable car as often as you like and it is included in the price of the pass.

For instance, I carry both a monthly Muni pass and a cah value on my Clipper card. The Muni pass ($79/month, I believe) allows me to ride the cable car every day, plus buses, Muni Metro light rail and the historic street cars as often as I like.

The cash value I carry on my Clipper Card gives me a commuter price on the ferry to Oakland ($5.00 versus $7.50 each way, I believe) and also covers me whenever I need to take BART (BART service for travel beyond SF is not covered under any Muni monthly plan).

Clipper cash values can also be used tagging on any other local transit agency vehicles and sometimes offer discounted rates or transfers versus using cash or single ride tickets.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
Beware--there is a less expensive Muni day and multi-day pass now that does not include the cable car. It does include the F street cars, however.

In any case, if you are riding cable cars using only cash value on a Clipper card, you will be charged $7.00 per ride. If you have a Muni pass of some kind linked to a Clipper Card that includes the cable car (daily or monthly) you may ride the cable car as often as you like and it is included in the price of the pass.

For instance, I carry both a monthly Muni pass and a cah value on my Clipper card. The Muni pass ($79/month, I believe) allows me to ride the cable car every day, plus buses, Muni Metro light rail and the historic street cars as often as I like.

The cash value I carry on my Clipper Card gives me a commuter price on the ferry to Oakland ($5.00 versus $7.50 each way, I believe) and also covers me whenever I need to take BART (BART service for travel beyond SF is not covered under any Muni monthly plan).

Clipper cash values can also be used tagging on any other local transit agency vehicles and sometimes offer discounted rates or transfers versus using cash or single ride tickets.
Ack. This just goes to show how unnecessarily complicated the system is.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. At a minimum, BART, Muni and AC Transit should all be joined as one transit agency, with a single fare zone. I think the SF Bay Ferry system should be in there, too, but I understand why their fare should be different.

Of course, joining these agencies would necessitate removing the Cable Car from the single fare zone system, which would make it a tourist-only proposition (and an even more expensive and less frequently running one). As a daily rider and huge fan of the Cable Car, I'd sacrifice it from my commute for a simpler, more affordable and more reliable single transit agency.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It depends on your perspective. Cable cars are very touristy, and Muni charges a premium to use them because everybody and their brother wants to take them when they visit. Passports are tourist products, so they aren't even worth thinking about in the context of locals paying to ride public transit.

Muni received complaints for a long time that they didn't have short-term passes for people who didn't want to pay the huge markup to ride cable cars. Thus the new passes were born, which are good on everything but cable cars at a price that is very reasonable. The target audiences are tourists who aren't near cable car lines, and Bay Area locals that have to do a lot of sudden travel in SF. For example, maybe somebody who normally works in Oakland but has to spend a week doing stuff in SF.

If you are a local, it's best to think of riding Muni as a cash vs. Clipper question. If you ride all the time, you get a pass, which is available on Clipper. If you ride only occasionally, you pay with cash or e-cash on Clipper. Clipper gives you a better price either way, so Clipper is the best option for locals. Not to mention the cards are good on all Bay Area transit agencies. Regular ol' cash is available because it's required by law and there are some people who still live in the technological dark ages.

P.S. I do agree that Bay Area fares are overly complicated. There's no reason why there should be special rules or different fare numbers on Muni vs. AC Transit, etc. But that's local politics at its finest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: