Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 09:06 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Boy, are you off base. Did I tear down anyplace? Of course I didn't. I am referring to people who do exactly that and in a very arrogant way. Of course it is wonderful to see your city on a positive list. Of course it is wonderful to like where you live and regardless of where it is, there all pros and cons. Would I live in the bay area again? No, but that only means, for me, there are more negatives than positives. For others they would live there forever and have. My niece, who lives in So. Ca.
came to visit last for a family celebration last summer. She loved the area but is CA though and though.
good for her.

I can go back to the 1960 when we did live in Marin county for 6 years. Even then, people who were living and/or raised in the bay area turned their noses up when someone mentioned being from So. CA. the attitude of people from the bay area has always been the same.
I never said you tore anyplace down. And, I grew up in the Bay Area (not in the City) - yet you state ‘the attitude of people from the Bay Area’ has always been the same. How is that not stereotyping? I don’t ‘turn my nose up’ at SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Boy, some folks here talk about defensive Californians - and overlook it’s a pretty common and natural reaction to stand up for what you love.

Have a nice Arkansas day
Exactly!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I never said you tore anyplace down. And, I grew up in the Bay Area (not in the City) - yet you state ‘the attitude of people from the Bay Area’ has always been the same. How is that not stereotyping? I don’t ‘turn my nose up’ at SoCal.
OMG, I didn't mean literally "everyone" I nor was I accusing you of being one that did. I am simple generalizing. And yes, this has been my overall experience.

I can remember too well having to defend ourselves for being Dodger fans and Rams fans. I am not talking in a joking way either. Sometimes, yes, we would joke about it or have fun debating but more often people thought cheering for anyone other than the Bay area teams would be considered almost low class. The same with schools: how could anyone choose to send their kids to USC or even UCLA. CAl or Stanford were the only schools to even think about for your kids. As for eating, comments like "" of course there are no decent restaurants in So Ca" My guess you are not old enough to remember any of this. Many of our neighbors and even friends were shocked when we decided to take a transfer back to so. Ca.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, I didn't mean literally "everyone" I nor was I accusing you of being one that did. I am simple generalizing. And yes, this has been my overall experience.
Yeah - I agree you are generalizing about people from the Bay Area.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
I'd live in almost any of the places in the top 10, except Des Moines and Minneapolis-St. Paul. Not because of the cities, but because of the winter weather. I lived in the alps for several years and I know I won't be happy with those winters (which are often *worse* than in the alps). I'd love to visit both in either spring or fall, though.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
It's completely foolish to wish for more than $2.8 trillion in economic activity to fall off the US economy. That's a more than 13% dip.

For perspective, in 1932, the worst year of the Great Depression, a US economy that was already decimated by two years of sharp declines (meaning the percentage fall was not as heavy) fell about 12%.

I get that there would, ostensibly, still be trade to soften the blow, but the idea that the US would somehow see a rise in value in its currency by lopping off the fifth largest economy in the world is ludicrous.
You miss my point that real estate as well as wages are 3-4 times higher on the California coast than the rest of the US (except for NYC). Obviously the dollar has a much lower value in California than elsewhere, and this valuation of the dollar is dragging down the entire USD as a currency.
I'm sorry if your brain isn't capable of understanding what I'm talking about. And by the by, a huge amount of these over valued dollars that California generates are from cyber junk like Facebook, Amazon, crypto (Coinbase) and Google revenues.

Last edited by duke944; 04-13-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
And by the by, a huge amount of these over valued dollars that California generates are from cyber junk like Facebook, Amazon, crypto (Coinbase) and Google revenues.
Seriously? You are calling Amazon and Google ‘cyber junk’?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously? You are calling Amazon and Google ‘cyber junk’?
Walmart, located in "puny" NWA is the largest corporation and the largest employer in the world. I think it's pretty funny to see Californians pan Fayeteville, when all their state produces is cyber junk.
It makes sense though, the money produced by the cyber junk is grossly inflated and so are the wages and home values. Thanks for dragging the USD value into the dirt for the rest of the country.

Last edited by duke944; 04-13-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Walmart, located in "puny" NWA is the largest corporation and the largest employer in the world. I think it's pretty funny to see Californians pan Fayeteville, when all their state produces is cyber junk.
Haha - to the point of ‘cyber junk’ (since it’s clear you don’t understand the term), Amazon is the largest internet company in the world and is the second largest employer in the US. Amazon surpassed Walmart a few years ago (by market capitalization). So what was that ridiculous comment about ‘cyber junk’?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Haha - to the point of ‘cyber junk’ (since it’s clear you don’t understand the term), Amazon is the largest internet company in the world and is the second largest employer in the US. Amazon surpassed Walmart a few years ago (by market capitalization). So what was that ridiculous comment about ‘cyber junk’?
Obviously Walmart has way more employees than Amazon. The question is, how many Amazon employees can afford to live in California, where the dollar is worth far less than everywhere else in the country aside from maybe NY? Full time Walmart employees no matter what the job can live in an actual house in middle America. Yeah, the engineers making the cyber junk make enough to do so, but nobody outside of a dumpster can live on $13/hr in California.
So what really is all this cyber junk money good for aside from making a few people ultra rich billionaires? it makes life more convenient, but the big picture net gain of employess vs the loss of jobs is way in the negative. How many small businesses and brick/morter stores etc etc etc has California cyber junk destroyed? Great job California, in cheapening the value of the dollar as well as the labor force.
Take a look at your city and state and look at the disaster going on. It's a beautiful state and climate, but economically it's dragging the whole country off a cliff. Just follow the bitcoin market cap led by the cyber junk SF corporation Coinbase to watch the dollar value dissipate into nothing.

Last edited by duke944; 04-14-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland