Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 PM

21,619 posts, read 16,138,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Obviously Walmart has way more employees than Amazon. The question is, how many Amazon employees can afford to live in California, where the dollar is worth far less than everywhere else in the country aside from maybe NY? Full time Walmart employees no matter what the job can live in an actual house in middle America. Yeah, the engineers making the cyber junk make enough to do so, but nobody outside of a dumpster can live on $13/hr in California.
So what really is all this cyber junk money good for aside from making a few people ultra rich billionaires? it makes life more convenient, but the big picture net gain of employess vs the loss of jobs is way in the negative. How many small businesses and brick/morter stores etc etc etc has California cyber junk destroyed? Great job California, in cheapening the value of the dollar as well as the labor force.
Take a look at your city and state and look at the disaster going on. It's a beautiful state and climate, but economically it's dragging the whole country off a cliff.
Oh the evil Californians ... leading the nation economically and filling the United States Treasury with more revenue than any one else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,538,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh the evil Californians ... leading the nation economically and filling the United States Treasury with more revenue than any one else!
I'd like to see what California revenue would really generate if it paid workers the same as middle America. The first thing that would happen is rampant homelessness and real estate prices crashing. Thanks for cheapening the usd value, California. And btw, wtf cares about a few billionaires getting richer? that's what most of these profits are going towards. They obviously aren't paying enough taxes to slow down the national debt, as it keeps going up a trillion a year. Again, thanks for nothing.

Last edited by duke944; 04-14-2019 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see what California revenue would really generate if it paid workers the same as middle America. The first thing that would happen is rampant homelessness. Thanks for cheapening the usd value, California.
Why would it or should it pay the same? Would you like to see what would happen if US wages were that same as Mexico’s? ... how about Bangladesh’s? Thanks for cheapening the world, USA! Duke needs a hug ...

Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see what California revenue would really generate if it paid workers the same as middle America. The first thing that would happen is rampant homelessness. Thanks for cheapening the usd value, California. And btw, wtf cares about a few billionaires getting richer? that's what most of these profits are goingg towards. They obviously aren't paying enough taxes to slow down the national debt, as it keeps going up a trillion a year. Again, thanks for nothing.
California pays far more into the national treasury than any other state. And gets less back. And the reason the national debt is going up to a trillion a year now is the Donald’s brilliant tax give away to the wealthiest Americans ... so write your complaint to the White House

Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,538,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
California pays far more into the national treasury than any other state. And gets less back. And the reason the national debt is going up to a trillion a year now is the Donald’s brilliant tax give away to the wealthiest Americans ... so write your complaint to the White House
It's been going up a trillion a year since George W, nice try. I blaim the dollar collapse on inflated cyber junk returns following a fiat printing spree to avoid the 2009 great depression. We are past the point of no return though, so I don't know why I"m even whining - what's done is done and the runaway train can't be stopped.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It's been going up a trillion a year since George W, nice try. I blaim the dollar collapse on inflated cyber junk returns following a fiat printing spree to avoid the 2009 great depression. We are past the point of no return though, so I don't know why I"m even whining - what's done is done and the runaway train can't be stopped.
You forgot the part about how it’s California’s fault ...

You also forgot the part about Donald J Trump’s contribution adding trillion a year more.

But I like where you admit you’re whining and there’s no point to doing so ...

Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,800,350 times
Quote:
I think poor economic conditions is the root cause of most suicides. They can call it depression or mental health issues, but in most cases suicidal depression is brought on by the stress and lack of medical care due to money problems.
It's usually a confluence of factors. It becomes a chicken and egg question as well. Are people mentally ill because they couldn't earn enough money? Or do they not earn enough money because of their mental problems? A fair amount of mental illness has a genetic component.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well thank goodness that most working families here make well above $100,000

2017 Median Income, 2-Earner Families:
Marin County, CA $184,022
San Mateo County, CA $174,054
San Francisco County, CA $171,619
Alameda County, CA $145,283
Contra Costa County, CA $140,210
But some of those 2 earner families with kids could afford to have only 1 earner elsewhere, even if they had to take a pay cut. The 2 earner household with kids is not one I'd want to live in. It's practically a requirement here--and really it requires 2 professional level jobs. What good is a 180K income when a modest 3BR tract house costs $1M?

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-14-2019 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
They don’t change in a day, a week, or a month - it’s an annual report/study.
Nita isn't doing a good job explaining, so allow me.

When it comes to small numbers, a spike in the raw number can mess up the percentage.

I.E. A town of 50,000 has 0 murders for 5 years. Then the next year there are 10. It's not necessarily a new trend (although that's possible). It's just that with something pretty rare, like murder, you can get these statistical flukes more than you would in a city of 1,000,000.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Persons in Poverty:
12.1% Fayetteville Metro
8.8% San Francisco Metro
Everyone knows the above statistic is a joke because it's not cost of living adjusted.

https://www.politifact.com/californi...overty-rate-w/

Quote:
I found this most interesting tho..

Renters who spend 30% or more of their income on housing:
San Francisco Metro 45%
Fayetteville Metro 36%

Why is this^ so close?
Could be lots of reasons.

In many respects, it's not an apples to apples comparison because the % of people who rent in the Bay Area is much higher than in Fayetteville. Despite being better educated and having much higher incomes in the SF Bay Area, homeownership is much harder to attain. Everyone knows this. And the renter majority or near majority in the area struggle more to pay the rent.

In Fayetteville, the renter population is almost certainly a much smaller % of the population. That means it's going to follow the pattern more typical of the general pattern in America: The slice of the population who rent is smaller and generally below average in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland