U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, CA
34,675 posts, read 60,394,970 times
Reputation: 18298

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wait for it....
“ B b b b but then they have to live somewhere else besides California. “
I’m not knocking people for choosing to live in California who can afford it and still put money aside for retirement. It’s really a nice place in some parts. But those that criticize others who move and aren’t doing all thAt great financially themselves I’m just not sure about.
All those things you listed are some of the most desired things people want and it’s not unreasonable for people to move to get them.
Why do they move and then repeatedly come back here to tell us about it, as if theyre trying to justify moving to themselves?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
8,536 posts, read 6,018,374 times
Reputation: 12438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why do they move and then repeatedly come back here to tell us about it, as if theyre trying to justify moving to themselves?
Who knows? For the same reason some Californians are so insecure about their choice of living in Ca even though it makes more sense for them to move to have to keep justifying why they stayed. If California is so perfect, why is there a need to put up posts trying to back it up? Isn't it a given already and doesn't need to be justified? The repeated " you can't beat California weather" is merely being countered about the logistics of why others moved and how it made sense for them. Californian's love the idea of diversity and free speech until someone says something that might poke holes in their reasoning and then they get upset about it.

People like to talk here on CD. That's what is is for. It's your choice to participate, argue, or ignore. Is that so hard? Some other states there is nothing going on. California brags about how important it is. It only makes sense that if it is that important people will talk about it.
If it's so significant, why do some get so defensive about it? Especially when others present thoughts and facts that are true that may not affirm that California is so perfect. Many people who think they live in a utopia put down other places by a huge margin yet have never lived or even visited the area. They think they are clever by using stereotypes of 20 years ago or look at what they find on the internet.

I won't mention names but where I live I know how long it takes me to get to the city of Atlanta and where my city of Marietta borders it. Yet a California poster who has never been here tried to tell me I was wrong and that I lived in a tiny town a long ways from Atlanta. The population is 60K. He claimed I was almost a half hour away. He also said it's small minded and called it Trumpville. Yet Hilary won here. He went on to brag about the superior qualities of people living in San Jose over other Americans. That's the kind of ignorance some California posters have when touting how great California is over other areas.

Keep in mind some of those people that have moved still have a lot of connections in Ca, so why can't they be concerned about what goes on in Ca?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 01:46 PM
 
3,861 posts, read 5,051,752 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Who knows? For the same reason some Californians are so insecure about their choice of living in Ca even though it makes more sense for them to move to have to keep justifying why they stayed. If California is so perfect, why is there a need to put up posts trying to back it up? Isn't it a given already and doesn't need to be justified? The repeated " you can't beat California weather" is merely being countered about the logistics of why others moved and how it made sense for them. Californian's love the idea of diversity and free speech until someone says something that might poke holes in their reasoning and then they get upset about it.

People like to talk here on CD. That's what is is for. It's your choice to participate, argue, or ignore. Is that so hard? Some other states there is nothing going on. California brags about how important it is. It only makes sense that if it is that important people will talk about it.
If it's so significant, why do some get so defensive about it? Especially when others present thoughts and facts that are true that may not affirm that California is so perfect. Many people who think they live in a utopia put down other places by a huge margin yet have never lived or even visited the area. They think they are clever by using stereotypes of 20 years ago or look at what they find on the internet.

I won't mention names but where I live I know how long it takes me to get to the city of Atlanta and where my city of Marietta borders it. Yet a California poster who has never been here tried to tell me I was wrong and that I lived in a tiny town a long ways from Atlanta. The population is 60K. He claimed I was almost a half hour away. He also said it's small minded and called it Trumpville. Yet Hilary won here. He went on to brag about the superior qualities of people living in San Jose over other Americans. That's the kind of ignorance some California posters have when touting how great California is over other areas.

Keep in mind some of those people that have moved still have a lot of connections in Ca, so why can't they be concerned about what goes on in Ca?
Great post. Completely agree with you. Yes, the Bay Area has a ton to offer, some that can't be replicated elsewhere. However, it is FAR from perfect. One of the biggest issues I have with it here is the smugness many of the people here, including many on this board. The pseudo-intellectual, holier than thou mentality is one of the MAJOR downfalls of this area. And, its getting worse to the point where its losing much of its appeal.

I have been to your neck of the woods and think it is really nice. I don't blame you at all for having made the move. We've considered doing the same and may still do so one of these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 02:35 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
5,110 posts, read 1,641,414 times
Reputation: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
California brags about how important it is.

If it's so significant, why do some get so defensive about it? Especially when others present thoughts and facts that are true that may not affirm that California is so perfect.

Many people who think they live in a utopia put down other places by a huge margin yet have never lived or even visited the area.

I won't mention names but where I live I know how long it takes me to get to the city of Atlanta and where my city of Marietta borders it.

That's the kind of ignorance some California posters have when touting how great California is over other areas.

Keep in mind some of those people that have moved still have a lot of connections in Ca, so why can't they be concerned about what goes on in Ca?
1. California doesn’t ‘brag’; it’s a state.

2. It makes a lot more sense to be ‘defensive’ about a place one lives and loves than it does to ridicule and criticize (day after day) a place in which one does not. This doesn’t make someone arrogant - but boasting ‘facts’ as if you know better where someone shouldn’t live - does.

3. I don’t think anyone, anywhere (legitimately) makes the claim California is perfect. We all know nothing is. (Even Italy is not.)

4. You should quote specifically the poster you mean - in the thread it occurred; it doesn’t have much relevance here because it can’t be substantiated. That’s what quotes are for. And even if it occurred, how is that a reason for you to come to the SF thread out of ‘concern’ to save us all?

5. Ignorance is not exclusive to some California posters.

6. There is a difference between ‘concern’ and throwing shade.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-15-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Piedmont, CA
34,675 posts, read 60,394,970 times
Reputation: 18298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Next is right. Of course at this point, it's apparent you don't even know what the census bureau does. You sit there and spout it's merits with "the census bureau" says this and "the census bureau" says that. And then when a think tank uses the most comprehensive report the census bureau puts out (that would be the U.S. Census that is done every 10 years) and adjusts for inflation, you say the report is horse manure and a survey on a much smaller scale is relevant. LOL! How clueless is that!

Yeah I think the most comprehensive report adjusting for inflation put out by the Census Bureau carry a lot more weight than your silly little survey.

If you can't handle valid retorts to your thread, then I'd suggest you not make any more and find your little safe space. You like to argue, but you're not very good at it.
Sorry but I stopped reading after the first line because my tolerance to extended whining is very short. Show me data or just go away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
8,536 posts, read 6,018,374 times
Reputation: 12438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
1. California doesn’t ‘brag’; it’s a state.

2. It makes a lot more sense to be ‘defensive’ about a place one lives and loves than it does to ridicule and criticize (day after day) a place in which one does not. This doesn’t make someone arrogant - but boasting ‘facts’ as if you know better where someone shouldn’t live - does.

3. I don’t think anyone, anywhere (legitimately) makes the claim California is perfect. We all know nothing is. (Even Italy is not.)

4. You should quote specifically the poster you mean - in the thread it occurred; it doesn’t have much relevance here because it can’t be substantiated. That’s what quotes are for. And even if it occurred, how is that a reason for you to come to the SF thread out of ‘concern’ to save us all?

5. Ignorance is not exclusive to some California posters.

6. There is a difference between ‘concern’ and throwing shade.
So these are the best points you could come up with in rebuttal? Lol.
Once again most of your points are getting defensive due to being over sensitivite. It’s an open forum and people are allowed to post their opinions whether you agree with them or not. Don’t like it? Can’t handle it? It upsets you? Let me quote some California posters “why do you stay? Just leave already. I see posts from both sides. Don’t always agree but like the open discussion, rather than have a closed minded one that you would prefer.

The poster was that neutrino person and if you looked at all the posts in California instead of just hand picking a few you would have seen the posts I mentioned, there were multiples. I can’t help it if you missed them or if you just selectively ignored them.
I never said ignorance was exclusive, but you are saying it just to deflect the point I made.

You may have highlighted the problem. There is a difference about concern and shade, about being defensive and boasting. Unfortunately you are the problem, you can’t tell the difference and assume anything that is not rainbows and unicorns about California is shade and an attack on California and ultimately yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:33 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
5,110 posts, read 1,641,414 times
Reputation: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

The poster was that neutrino person and if you looked at all the posts in California instead of just hand picking a few you would have seen the posts I mentioned, there were multiples. I can’t help it if you missed them or if you just selectively ignored them.
I never said ignorance was exclusive, but you are saying it just to deflect the point I made.

You may have highlighted the problem. There is a difference about concern and shade, about being defensive and boasting. Unfortunately you are the problem, you can’t tell the difference and assume anything that is not rainbows and unicorns about California is shade and an attack on California and ultimately yourself.
To the contrary, I do see ‘both sides’ and have actually posted as such - in terms of COL and homelessness, etc. Nowhere is perfect. That said, it’s true I love the Bay Area (warts and all) - and I enjoy living/working here; that shouldn’t ruffle your feathers. I’m not bashing where you live - because I don’t care. Why do you care about where I live, what I think - or if some people love SF (as evidenced by it ranking #1 in desirability and #7 overall per the thread). It amazes me how some take the time to continuously point out why someone shouldn’t live in SF (or anywhere) - and act holier-than-thou about it, as if their city or state doesn’t have any problems. I don’t post (or even read) on other city forums telling/arguing with people why they shouldn’t live somewhere - it is juvenile.

As far as telling me to read all the posts in California, that’s pretty funny. I have a career and a new relationship with a gf - not all of us have time (or interest) to read every forum or even every post in a thread. ‘Hand-picking’ a few is normal for me - and is what I will continue to do. I don’t need to know a poster’s life history to comment about a thread topic. I’m sorry that bothers you.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-16-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Sequoia Heights, Oakland, CA
406 posts, read 251,877 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's been going up a trillion a year since George W, nice try. I blaim the dollar collapse on inflated cyber junk returns following a fiat printing spree to avoid the 2009 great depression. We are past the point of no return though, so I don't know why I"m even whining - what's done is done and the runaway train can't be stopped.
The single largest contributor to the deficit was the 2001 and 2003 Bush Tax Cuts, followed by the War in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM
 
2,416 posts, read 2,728,687 times
Reputation: 1077
The cost of living is insane but a desirable place if you can afford it. Much of LA is a dump and still expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Sequoia Heights, Oakland, CA
406 posts, read 251,877 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I should also mention that the official census is done every 10 years. The disingenuous claim that is being made is taken from the American Community SURVEY. Yeah, it's a survey.

Unlike the every-10-year census, this survey continues all year, every year. They randomly sample addresses in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. They randomly select about 3.5 million addresses each year to respond to the survey.

So scientific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Amazing someone gets it! The Census was done in 2010. I can't believe anyone wastes their time with the amount of misinformation people consistently post on this board. There is nothing remotely scientific about this survey. You'd be much better off using payroll sites. But we constantly hear from the same posters who couldn't have an honest conversation if their lives depended on it.
A census is a survey therefore the decennial census is a survey too. The American Community Survey is simply the replacement of the long form of the decennial census. The ACS is indeed science based, and significant, as it is the more detailed and continuous measurement of populations and demographics. Things change dramatically within 10 years, and the ACS provides that data in current time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top