U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 631,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
A census is a survey therefore the decennial census is a survey. The American Community Survey is simply the replacement of the long form of the decennial census. The ACS is indeed science based, and significant, as it is the more detailed and continuous measurement of populations and demographics. Things change dramatically within 10 years, and the ACS provides that data in current time.
Of course they are surveys and clearly not as valid as other sources (one being more comprehensive than the other since the Census captures information not available through the ACS). That's the point (I put it in bold for you so you don't ignore it).

The ACS is not a replacement of the decennial census. As a matter of fact, the ACS uses information from the decennial census (but apparently it's worthless, lol). How stupid is that?

And (another important point for you) they don't use real data, they survey households. To use the Census as some end-all-be-all is absurd, but don't tell it to the know-it-all. I think most people that have some common sense would rather use actual data and understand that would be more significant.

Happy now?

Last edited by JJonesIII; 04-16-2019 at 02:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 04:21 PM

406 posts, read 251,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Of course they are surveys and clearly not as valid as other sources (one being more comprehensive than the other since the Census captures information not available through the ACS). That's the point (I put it in bold for you so you don't ignore it).

The ACS is not a replacement of the decennial census. As a matter of fact, the ACS uses information from the decennial census (but apparently it's worthless, lol). How stupid is that?

And (another important point for you) they don't use real data, they survey households. To use the Census as some end-all-be-all is absurd, but don't tell it to the know-it-all. I think most people that have some common sense would rather use actual data and understand that would be more significant.

Happy now?
Well, censuses and surveys (and administrative records) are the main source of statistical data collection and compilation for demographic and social statistics.

The decennial census was comprised of a short form and long form. The short form of decennial census provides the basic information. The long form of the decennial census - replaced by the ACS (which is what I said)- provides the more detailed information.

The decennial census and ACS serve "difference purposes," and the ACS compliments the decennial census by providing reliable, up to date data outside of decennial censuses. It literally just fills in the data gaps between decennial censuses.

Last edited by the happy guy; 04-16-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 631,826 times
Quote:
Well, censuses and surveys (and administrative records) are the main source of statistical data collection and compilation for demographic and social statistics.

The decennial census was comprised of a short form and long form. The short form of decennial census provides the basic information. The long form of the decennial census - replaced by the ACS (which is what I said)- provides the more detailed information.

The decennial census and ACS serve "difference purposes," and the ACS compliments the decennial census by providing reliable, up to date data outside of decennial censuses. It literally just fills in the data gaps between decennial censuses.
And how does that change anything about my comment? Answer...it doesn't.

When you can show how actual data is less reliable than a survey, get back to me. There are better sources.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,139,811 times
Quote:

the point I think you miss it: regardless of what is the main source of social statistics they still are not accurate. I think we all understand what you are saying, but there is no way to honestly get a correct count on this.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 AM

8,528 posts, read 6,013,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
To the contrary, I do see ‘both sides’ and have actually posted as such - in terms of COL and homelessness, etc. Nowhere is perfect. That said, it’s true I love the Bay Area (warts and all) - and I enjoy living/working here; that shouldn’t ruffle your feathers. I’m not bashing where you live - because I don’t care. Why do you care about where I live, what I think - or if some people love SF (as evidenced by it ranking #1 in desirability and #7 overall per the thread). It amazes me how some take the time to continuously point out why someone shouldn’t live in SF (or anywhere) - and act holier-than-thou about it, as if their city or state doesn’t have any problems. I don’t post (or even read) on other city forums telling/arguing with people why they shouldn’t live somewhere - it is juvenile.

As far as telling me to read all the posts in California, that’s pretty funny. I have a career and a new relationship with a gf - not all of us have time (or interest) to read every forum or even every post in a thread. ‘Hand-picking’ a few is normal for me - and is what I will continue to do. I don’t need to know a poster’s life history to comment about a thread topic. I’m sorry that bothers you.
I actually care very little about what you think or where you choose to live. But If anything you seem to have a problem with what others think. Like you said you have a life, so why are you so concerned with what others think.? You don’t have time to read all the posts, yet have time to post on the California forums multiple times. Are you just Overly sensitive?

What is even funnier is you feel others have a holier than thou attitude while your attitude is exactly that.
It doesn’t bother me that you don’t read all the posts, but when you make statements that are simply untrue as proven by other some other posters posts because you didn’t see them , you just look very uninformed since you are basing your posts on incomplete information. You make posts based on assumptions.

Again I don’t care either. I will just continue to post my opinion which is every bit as valid as yours. Sorry if your liberal California thought process would rather have censorship and not allow other people to post their opinions. You are welcome to post anywhere you want on this forum as am I and others. It’s your choice whether you do or not, but don’t tell me or others to stop posting here because you can’t handle it or it upsets you. My suggestion is since this has been the way for many years and won’t change, maybe you not read posts since it upsets you so much.
Even though you live in the area, don’t think you know more than some posters who even though they no longer live in California have lived there many years longer than you have.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:52 AM

34,668 posts, read 60,383,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Sorry if your liberal California thought process would rather...
Good grief.

Why is EVERYTHING through the lens of political views? I suspect this is the motivation behind at least 95% of the anti bay area posts and threads posted here.

People from here dont actively seek out subforums for conservative areas just to start sht. What kind of "thought process" is that?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM

7,227 posts, read 2,268,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I actually care very little about what you think or where you choose to live. But If anything you seem to have a problem with what others think. Like you said you have a life, so why are you so concerned with what others think.? You don’t have time to read all the posts, yet have time to post on the California forums multiple times. Are you just Overly sensitive?

What is even funnier is you feel others have a holier than thou attitude while your attitude is exactly that.
It doesn’t bother me that you don’t read all the posts, but when you make statements that are simply untrue as proven by other some other posters posts because you didn’t see them , you just look very uninformed since you are basing your posts on incomplete information. You make posts based on assumptions.

Again I don’t care either. I will just continue to post my opinion which is every bit as valid as yours. Sorry if your liberal California thought process would rather have censorship and not allow other people to post their opinions. You are welcome to post anywhere you want on this forum as am I and others. It’s your choice whether you do or not, but don’t tell me or others to stop posting here because you can’t handle it or it upsets you. My suggestion is since this has been the way for many years and won’t change, maybe you not read posts since it upsets you so much.
Even though you live in the area, don’t think you know more than some posters who even though they no longer live in California have lived there many years longer than you have.
For someone who doesn't care where CC lives......you spend lots of time writing posts "to" him & worrying about where he posts. I have not seen where he e v e r tells you he knows better...he just says he loves it in the Bay Area...& you attack him for it...Lol.

How do you even know CC is liberal? I have never seen a post of his that says he is either .........so I wouldn't know. How do you?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
For someone who doesn't care where CC lives......you spend lots of time writing posts "to" him & worrying about where he posts. I have not seen where he e v e r tells you he knows better...he just says he loves it in the Bay Area...& you attack him for it...Lol.

How do you even know CC is liberal? I have never seen a post of his that says he is either .........so I wouldn't know. How do you?
If you paid attention you’d see I was responding directly to his posts. Perhaps if you read his post before stating his love for the Bay Area you would be caught up. I don’t mind you stating your opinion, but I did not attack him for saying he loved it in the Bay Area, I responded to his posts about not letting anyone express their opinion about it if it was not always positive. You have your opinion, but I can’t say I put as much weight on it since you don’t live in the area that is even the subject of the thread in addition you just moved to Northern California.
While you think posters like me only post negative, you forget the posts I made on your threads about moving to California as positive and offering suggestions on where you might live based on your budget and offering you encouragement.
I lived in the Bay Area all my life and post both positive and negative things as I see them. Corporate cowboy only talks about posts thAt don’t paint the area as perfect yet don’t see all the positive posts those same people post up. Then he portrays the posters as only negative which isn’t fair because he is not taking into account all the posts they made, only the selective ones he saw.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Good grief.

Why is EVERYTHING through the lens of political views? I suspect this is the motivation behind at least 95% of the anti bay area posts and threads posted here.

People from here dont actively seek out subforums for conservative areas just to start sht. What kind of "thought process" is that?
And you have conveniently ignored everything I posted when you asked why posters out of the area posted in California forums. I answered your question to which you had absolutely no rebuttal to because everything I posted made sense. Go back and read that response and it will make sense why out of state people post here and you will see it’s for the exact reasons you brag about California.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

7,227 posts, read 2,268,371 times
I've seen a lot of CC's posts that say the Bay Area isn't perfect....& a lot that say he still loves it. So?

I did just move here...& I am l o v i n g it too. It's fun for me to read threads about where the Bay Area ranks....& ty for granting me permission to have an opinion, too..Lol.

But....how do you know CC is liberal? I have never seen where he says is either one....hmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland