Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 AM

21,627 posts, read 16,153,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and that is my point: you haven't been here in years so how can you judge? We have mountains, diversity, water, spectacular views, diverse people and a lot of natural beauty. Why do you think it is called the natural
state?

I was born and raised in Cal. I do think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, there are many good things about the state, but these studies are based on many things, and yes, NWA is special in many ways. AS I mentioned: we don't have high crime, we don't have street people, we don't have a high cost of living, we don't have the traffic problems we experience in Ca (we do have traffic congestion) and the one thing we don't have is Trader Joe's. that is the saddest part of living here. Many

Many places on the list surprise me, but I admit I only know them from one side thus can not fairly judge them. San Jose, for instance.
I repeat, nita: I didn’t criticize Fayetteville, AK ... I panned it in comparison to places like: SF and Seattle, both rated lower in desirability.

There’s beauty most places ... and most of America, geographically / square miles, doesn’t have much crime, street people, heavy traffic, and high COL. Yet the trend continues for the vast majority of Americans to move to urban centers, and of those mostly the biggest, coastal metros ... um, such as SF and Seattle.

Again, I’m not endorsing ... I’m observing. Relax. Enjoy your Arkansas secure in the knowledge I won’t be invading your space ... neither will hardly anybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I repeat, nita: I didn’t criticize Fayetteville, AK ... I panned it in comparison to places like: SF and Seattle, both rated lower in desirability.

There’s beauty most places ... and most of America, geographically / square miles, doesn’t have much crime, street people, heavy traffic, and high COL. Yet the trend continues for the vast majority of Americans to move to urban centers, and of those mostly the biggest, coastal metros ... um, such as SF and Seattle.

Again, I’m not endorsing ... I’m observing. Relax. Enjoy your Arkansas secure in the knowledge I won’t be invading your space ... neither will hardly anybody else.
thanks for not invading my space, but many others are. I am guessing 10% or more of the new residents are from CA. The rest are from upper midwest and middle America. Our dd and sil's 2 best friends, both sorority sisters of my daughters in so. CA just relocated here. If we worry about much around here we worry about those from CA with superior attitudes moving here and trying to turn us into a mini Ca. Our foster daughter and her wife are moving here after they retire in about a year, from Portland. We are excited that they want to spend the rest of their lives near us.

With that said I will drop the subject now.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 AM

21,627 posts, read 16,153,308 times
Quote:
thanks for not invading my space, but many others are. I am guessing 10% or more of the new residents are from CA. The rest are from upper midwest and middle America. Our dd and sil's 2 best friends, both sorority sisters of my daughters in so. CA just relocated here. If we worry about much around here we worry about those from CA with superior attitudes moving here and trying to turn us into a mini Ca. Our foster daughter and her wife are moving here after they retire in about a year, from Portland. We are excited that they want to spend the rest of their lives near us.

With that said I will drop the subject now.
My sincere condolences, nita. I feel the same about people invading California (and Washington where I spend an increasing amount of my retirement). The problem is, of course, at root: too many people. Everywhere.

I like people fine. A lot, even. But enough is enough. Anywhere.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,539,752 times
I live in the Fayeteville area, and aside from the cities on the California west coast I wouldn't move to anyplace else on the entire list even if money was no concern. The year round comfortable climate, ocean and mountains of the west coast blow away the rest of the US afaic, but these cities may as well be the moon because they are WAY too expensive to live there. As a matter of fact, for most people they may as well not exist as options - I do envy those who got there at the right time, or who have property passed down to them from parents etc. I wouldn't however under any circumstances live in one of the crime ridden areas, which really exludes a lot of the west coast and brings the cost of moving there to an even more absurd number.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM

10,310 posts, read 8,480,866 times
Quote:
Love people who judge without having a clue what they are talking about; 1-Walmart Headquarters are not in Fayetteville: they are in Bentonville; the majority of the Walton family do reside in NWA. The corporation employs people from all over the country and they are not lower middle class. Many of the people living here do not live in ranch style homes on sprawling meadows.

YOu mention WalMart, obviously you have never spent much time or have no knowledge of what the area is really about: We have 3 major companies headquartered here: WalMart, yes, as well as Tyson's chicken company and Hunt trucking. For a community of barely 500,000 people that is very unusual

NWA, is more diverse than you can imagine. There are people from all walks of life and all ethnic groups living here; many very well educated. We have kind of restaurant one can imagine and we have a wonderful mixture of rural and urban life styles.

What we don't have is a high crime rate, a high cost of living and a bunch of people who think they are just a step better than others. We also do not have many homeless people.

So stop your judging. I have lived in both the bay area and NWA. Both have pros and cons, but NWA is a lo different than one might think. Come visit, spend time here and then preach about how much better Ca is.
Exactly. I don’t mind people having preferences on where they want to live. I do mind when they have no experience with other areas or are thinking of the areas as they were many years ago and making comparisons to where they live in California today.
Heck, I just got into it with a few posters that have never been to the Atlanta area who told me where I lived based on what they found on the internet versus my experience of actually living here. Not to mention I had more years of living in California than either of them.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 AM

8,527 posts, read 3,762,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Exactly. I don’t mind people having preferences on where they want to live. I do mind when they have no experience with other areas or are thinking of the areas as they were many years ago and making comparisons to where they live in California today.
Heck, I just got into it with a few posters that have never been to the Atlanta area who told me where I lived based on what they found on the internet versus my experience of actually living here. Not to mention I had more years of living in California than either of them.
There are constantly people on this forum who post photos of a few homeless people, for example (what they found on the internet) to start a ‘bash SF thread’, not taking into consideration anything other than one negative point (which other large cities share as well). So it appears many people DO mind the preferences others have for where to live - even though they claim ‘not to mind’.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Agree. Lists like these can be pretty stupid. I'd say the people that live in 3/4 of the cities on that list couldn't afford to live in San Francisco, so it's a moot point. It'd be more relevant to look at the majority of people (i.e. the Middle Class) and ask them to give a rating with specific price ranges listed next to each city and then see how the list changes. But it's like talking to a wall with most of the folks here.
The study was based on a variety of sources and categories - value/cost of living is included. That the list isn’t based entirely on ‘cost of living’ by a ‘majority of people’ is reason for you to call it ‘pretty stupid’. To the contrary, I’d say it would be ‘pretty stupid’ if it was. There are too many other factors involved - desirability, employment opportunity, crime relative to population, etc. which round out any ‘best places to live’.

If someone is only interested in cost of living, they can refer to the top-scoring city in that category.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There are constantly people on this forum who post photos of a few homeless people, for example (what they found on the internet) to start a ‘bash SF thread’, not taking into consideration anything other than one negative point (which other large cities share as well). So it appears many people DO mind the preferences others have for where to live - even though they claim ‘not to mind’.
This is very true,but I have heard discussions on TV programming, about the homeless problem in San Francisco and it is very real. I don't think it can compare with Los Angeles, obviously the larger the city and the better the weather the worse the problem is going to be. There will always be people that will find any excuse possible to put other places down. My problem is with people who post an opinion especially a negative one with very little knowledge of the place they are putting down. The perfect example is putting down Fayetteville based on a visit a time or two years ago. Or worse, the person who obviously had no idea what living in NWA is all about and referred to workers at WalMart headquarters as lower middle income.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 830,031 times
Quote:
The study was based on a variety of sources and categories - value/cost of living is included. That the list isn’t based entirely on ‘cost of living’ by a ‘majority of people’ is reason for you to call it ‘pretty stupid’. To the contrary, I’d say it would be ‘pretty stupid’ if it was. There are too many other factors involved - desirability, employment opportunity, crime relative to population, etc. which round out any ‘best places to live’.

If someone is only interested in cost of living, they can refer to the top-scoring city in that category.
Quote:
Exactly! People continue to make the city-to-city comparison, but it’s useless.
Hmmm....Sounds like a city-to-city comparison to me with COL, which was useless. But apparently NOW it's useful, lol.

Pot meet Kettle

Last edited by JJonesIII; 04-11-2019 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Hmmm....Sounds like a city-to-city comparison to me. And apparently NOW it's useful, lol.

Pot meet Kettle
Completely out of context (even different threads). One city is not being compared to another to obtain its INDEPENDENT score in each category. It has nothing to do with a quote from another thread - or pots and kettles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland