U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,618,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

YOu mention WalMart, obviously you have never spent much time or have no knowledge of what the area is really about: We have 3 major companies headquartered here: WalMart, yes, as well as Tyson's chicken company and Hunt trucking. For a community of barely 500,000 people that is very unusual

Half a million people and only three companies? That's strange!

Ease up on your defense posture! ...You are in the California forum, we're not in your forum!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 02:51 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,078,297 times
Quote:
This is very true,but I have heard discussions on TV programming, about the homeless problem in San Francisco and it is very real. I don't think it can compare with Los Angeles, obviously the larger the city and the better the weather the worse the problem is going to be. There will always be people that will find any excuse possible to put other places down. My problem is with people who post an opinion especially a negative one with very little knowledge of the place they are putting down. The perfect example is putting down Fayetteville based on a visit a time or two years ago. Or worse, the person who obviously had no idea what living in NWA is all about and referred to workers at WalMart headquarters as lower middle income.
Lmfao. For the 4th time: I didn’t put Fayeteville down. Quote me if you think otherwise. Relax. Take a bong hit and sit on your porch enjoying all your Arkansas wonders!

Old 04-11-2019, 02:59 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,598,763 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Fayettevile or much less lived here? I am thinking not. Almost every study similar to this puts NWA on their list of top places to live. Of course all these lists are good for is bragging rights until the next list comes out, but don't knock what you haven't tried. I look at some of the cities and wonder how they could make the lists: high crime, high cost of living, bad weather, etc.
I was in NWA several years ago and was pleasantly surprised. It was a pretty area with the Ozarks, had a fairly strong job market for its size and Fayetteville is a nice college town. Definitely not the backwards area that I had expected with my previously uninformed stereotype of Arkansas.

Now, it is not SF. It isn't a world class city, nor does it pretend to be. But, on the other hand, it seemed like a comfortable place to live with a low cost of living and generally high quality of life. I can see the appeal if you have a professional job, want amenities without the hassle and don't care about being in the top world-class city.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 590,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Completely out of context (even different threads). One city is not being compared to another to obtain its INDEPENDENT score in each category. It has nothing to do with a quote from another thread - or pots and kettles.
ROTFLMAO! Puleeeze! It is completely within context and on point. Too funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEr-y_0xWw

Last edited by JJonesIII; 04-11-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Love people who judge without having a clue what they are talking about; 1-Walmart Headquarters are not in Fayetteville: they are in Bentonville; the majority of the Walton family do reside in NWA. The corporation employs people from all over the country and they are not lower middle class. Many of the people living here do not live in ranch style homes on sprawling meadows.

YOu mention WalMart, obviously you have never spent much time or have no knowledge of what the area is really about: We have 3 major companies headquartered here: WalMart, yes, as well as Tyson's chicken company and Hunt trucking. For a community of barely 500,000 people that is very unusual

NWA, is more diverse than you can imagine. There are people from all walks of life and all ethnic groups living here; many very well educated. We have kind of restaurant one can imagine and we have a wonderful mixture of rural and urban life styles.

What we don't have is a high crime rate, a high cost of living and a bunch of people who think they are just a step better than others. We also do not have many homeless people.

So stop your judging. I have lived in both the bay area and NWA. Both have pros and cons, but NWA is a lo different than one might think. Come visit, spend time here and then preach about how much better Ca is.

Nailed it nmnita!

Old 04-11-2019, 05:22 PM

4,750 posts, read 1,359,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
ROTFLMAO!
You clearly don’t understand how the results in a study of this type are calculated (each city independently) - so when all else fails, post memes and YT clips (and pretend no one notices your erroneous point).

Regardless, SF is 7th place overall (and 1st place in desirability). I’ll take it.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:24 PM

2,661 posts, read 997,766 times
Well, if those in this thread are going to pick on a top 10 area, why Fayeteville and not the twin cities?

-Worst winters of any major city in the country.
-Taxes are about as bad as you can get.
-Flattest place in the country (look it up). The only thing it has is lots of lakes, but with them come mosquitos from hell.
-High col and home prices - obviously not has high as California coastal cities but way higher than Fayeteville.
-High crime.
-Minnesotants are famous for unfriendliness to newcomers (or to pretty much anyone, actually).

How the hell did this area make the top 10 is my question. Yes I have experience here, I lived in the twin cities from ages 2 to 24 and have been back exactly zero times since (won't say my age but it's pretty old).

And seriously, Des Moines IA? you guys are going to ignore this and pick on Fayeteville?

Last edited by duke944; 04-11-2019 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You clearly don’t understand how the results in a study of this type are calculated (each city independently) - so when all else fails, post memes and YT clips (and pretend no one notices your erroneous point).

Regardless, SF is 7th place overall (and 1st place in desirability). I’ll take it.
Like I said. Too funny and the funny icons aren't going to change it.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:41 PM

4,750 posts, read 1,359,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Like I said. Too funny and the funny icons aren't going to change it.
I assume it’s upsetting for you to see SF fare so well - and memes/video clips won’t change it.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,865,589 times
Areas shaded in green=Average Family Income $175,000+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland