U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Situational depression does not cause suicide....which is depression from job loss, a death in the family, money problems. So not being able to afford SF is not going to be a reason by itself for someone to kill themselves. Major depression & chemical imbalances cause suicide, it's such a debilitating feeling the person has a hard time functioning & really sees no other way out. It's the way the mind is functioning....not an "outward problem" that causes it. It's a c o m m o n misconception.

California is near the bottom of states with the most suicide..all the way down to #45. Montana, Alaska & Wyoming are at the top.....
Might be off topic a bit but you can't take stats to totally give the truth on figures. Smaller population states will have a higher % because there are fewer people. I am not making sense I know, here is an example.
Take a city of only 50,000 people and they happen to have 4 murders in a year. That will put them up higher in stats than the city with 1 million people and 50 murders.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 1,340,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Might be off topic a bit but you can't take stats to totally give the truth on figures. Smaller population states will have a higher % because there are fewer people. I am not making sense I know, here is an example.
Take a city of only 50,000 people and they happen to have 4 murders in a year. That will put them up higher in stats than the city with 1 million people and 50 murders.
Population doesn’t matter when the rate is figured/adjusted per 100,000 people. In other words, Montana has the highest rate - it being 26 suicides per 100,000 people. Comparatively, for California, the suicide rate is 10.5 per 100,000. That said, I think the point is - suicide (nor homelessness) has anything to do with the fact SF ranked #7 overall and #1 in desirability.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Population doesn’t matter when the rate is figured/adjusted per 100,000 people. In other words, Montana has the highest rate - it being 26 suicides per 100,000 people. Comparatively, for California, the suicide rate is 10.5 per 100,000. That said, I think the point is - suicide (nor homelessness) has anything to do with the fact SF ranked #7 overall and #1 in desirability.
statswise, no: but in reality it does. I am aware they were rated #1 in desirability, but what does that mean to you? It means something different to everyone. Is is like judging the "best chili' in a cookoff. What is best to one is not best to someone else.
Again, you,like a few others are missing my point: I am not putting the bay area down, though I would not live there again. I am more pissed with those and there are only a few that stub places like NWA. or Fayetteville to be exact when they have never lived there and often not even visited. If there is one thing that leaves a bad taste in some people's mouth it is the superior attitude of bay area people.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't know if salaries are all higher in the BA or not....but I can say they are a lot higher than what I made here as an RN...my last day was yesterday! It's not all about high tech. If you hate Sf so much, stay away from it....but there are people who are excited about moving there & I think the results of the Best Places to Live are fun to read.
It is fun to read the reports when they come out, even though we all know they can change in a day, a week or a month. The problem is: other than bragging rights they mean very little. As for salaries, it makes no difference what the salary range is if the COL is so high the check barely pays for food and rent.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM

2,661 posts, read 991,562 times
Quote:
As for salaries, it makes no difference what the salary range is if the COL is so high the check barely pays for food and rent.
This is what I'm seeing, if the salaries of those in SF are 2-3 times those in most other places in the country, and the home prices are equally more expensive, what you really have is a situation where the dollar isn't worth near as much in SF. Like I said, the dollar is getting worth less and less, and apparently places such as SF are leading the charge to a worthless USD. No wonder people are running to cryptocurrencies to escape it - which, by the by, Coinbase is located where? SF.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
statswise, no: but in reality it does. I am aware they were rated #1 in desirability, but what does that mean to you? It means something different to everyone. Is is like judging the "best chili' in a cookoff. What is best to one is not best to someone else.
Again, you,like a few others are missing my point: I am not putting the bay area down, though I would not live there again. I am more pissed with those and there are only a few that stub places like NWA. or Fayetteville to be exact when they have never lived there and often not even visited. If there is one thing that leaves a bad taste in some people's mouth it is the superior attitude of bay area people.
I think people sometimes perceive ‘superior attitudes’ all on their own. I, for one, never said anything negative about any area which fared better than SF on the list. I’ve never been to Arkansas or Iowa. Where people live and work is an individual choice (and sometimes a necessity) - I spent almost 2 years in NYC. It wasn’t my favorite place to be - but I made it work, and I enjoyed my time there. The problem I have is when people say SF should be off the list. We made it there, fair and square, just like everyone else - and yet people still want to throw out things like suicide, inaccurately, to skew the conversation.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 PM

2,661 posts, read 991,562 times
Quote:
I think people sometimes perceive ‘superior attitudes’ all on their own. I, for one, never said anything negative about any area which fared better than SF on the list. I’ve never been to Arkansas or Iowa. Where people live and work is an individual choice (and sometimes a necessity) - I spent almost 2 years in NYC. It wasn’t my favorite place to be - but I made it work, and I enjoyed my time there. The problem I have is when people say SF should be off the list. We made it there, fair and square, just like everyone else - and yet people still want to throw out things like suicide, inaccurately, to skew the conversation.
Actually after realizing that wages make up for the real estate prices and the area is just completely skewed in dollar value in relation to the rest of the country, I change my mind and say it does belong on the list. Who cares if your crackerbox cost $700k when you make six figures as a nurse or janitor?

Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It is fun to read the reports when they come out, even though we all know they can change in a day, a week or a month. The problem is: other than bragging rights they mean very little. As for salaries, it makes no difference what the salary range is if the COL is so high the check barely pays for food and rent.
They don’t change in a day, a week, or a month - it’s an annual report/study.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
They don’t change in a day, a week, or a month - it’s an annual report/study.
OMG, stop being so technical: you know I didn't mean this report necessarily. I meant any number of these types of reports. We see them all the time put out by different sources. In fact quite often Fayetteville is rated toward the top. it can be a report/study on best places to start a business: best place to retire; best place desirability, best place to raise a family and on and on.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Actually after realizing that wages make up for the real estate prices and the area is just completely skewed in dollar value in relation to the rest of the country, I change my mind and say it does belong on the list. Who cares if your crackerbox cost $700k when you make six figures as a nurse or janitor?
I’m not a nurse or janitor nor do I have a ‘crackerbox’ so I’m not sure who ‘you’ is.

It should be the people barely scraping by (who want to live here) who complain, that would be understandable. But you are just whining for the sake of whining.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-12-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland