Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 PM

8,528 posts, read 3,762,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, stop being so technical: you know I didn't mean this report necessarily. I meant any number of these types of reports. We see them all the time put out by different sources. In fact quite often Fayetteville is rated toward the top. it can be a report/study on best places to start a business: best place to retire; best place desirability, best place to raise a family and on and on.
And that’s great for Fayetteville! Some of us enjoy where we live enough we don’t have to tear down other cities that also rank well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,525,943 times
Quote:
It is fun to read the reports when they come out, even though we all know they can change in a day, a week or a month. The problem is: other than bragging rights they mean very little. As for salaries, it makes no difference what the salary range is if the COL is so high the check barely pays for food and rent.
The report may mean very little...but I'm still excited about my move to the Bay Area & it is fun to see where it ranks.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
As for salaries, it makes no difference what the salary range is if...the check barely pays for food and rent.
This is probably far more common in Fayetteville than San Francisco.

No Health Insurance:
10.4% Fayetteville Metro
4.5% San Francisco Metro

Persons in Poverty:
12.1% Fayetteville Metro
8.8% San Francisco Metro

Receives Food Stamps:
6.4% Fayetteville Metro
5.3% San Francisco Metro

I found this most interesting tho..

Renters who spend 30% or more of their income on housing:
San Francisco Metro 45%
Fayetteville Metro 36%

Why is this^ so close?

Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,539,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m not a nurse or janitor nor do I have a ‘crackerbox’ so I’m not sure who ‘you’ is.

It should be the people barely scraping by (who want to live here) who complain, that would be understandable. But you are just whining for the sake of whining.
Not everyone gets to be a billionaire like you, you should enjoy it instead of rubbing people's faces in it. And when I say 'crackerbox', that's what $700k buys in SF - a total sh$thole. It seems to me places like SF and NY are driving the value of the dollar into the toilet. Won't be that far off when a million dollars is what a new car will cost rather than a house. When salaries and homes are 3x plus higher than middle America, something is defintely wrong.

I've seen some threads from people wanting to see California secede - I'd actually like to see that happen with the caveat that California has to have it's own currency, call it CAUSD. CAUSD would pretty much immediately shrink compared to USD, because it's obviously inflated ridiculously.

Last edited by duke944; 04-12-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM

8,528 posts, read 3,762,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Not everyone gets to be a billionaire like you, you should enjoy it instead of rubbing people's faces in it. And when I say 'crackerbox', that's what $700k buys in SF - a total sh$thole. It seems to me places like SF and NY are driving the value of the dollar into the toilet. Won't be that far off when a million dollars is what a new car will cost rather than a house. When salaries and homes are 3x plus higher than middle America, something is defintely wrong.
I have never stated anywhere I’m a billionaire - because I’m not. In fact, I have never stated my personal finances anywhere - and wouldn’t (so I haven’t rubbed anyone’s nose into anything). I also haven’t tried to take down any other city (whether it’s on the list or not); I merely enjoy living here, and I say so to all of the people in this forum who trash it daily. I’ve actually AGREED about the high COL (and have made reference to the middle class being squeezed out - it is a concern) and I know SF is not perfect (and has its share of issues). That said, it’s great to see it ranked #7 overall - and 1st in desirability (because I’ve been saying it all along). Why that upsets you, I have no idea.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-12-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 PM

653 posts, read 459,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

I've seen some threads from people wanting to see California secede - I'd actually like to see that happen with the caveat that California has to have it's own currency, call it CAUSD. CAUSD would pretty much immediately shrink compared to USD, because it's obviously inflated ridiculously.
It's completely foolish to wish for more than $2.8 trillion in economic activity to fall off the US economy. That's a more than 13% dip.

For perspective, in 1932, the worst year of the Great Depression, a US economy that was already decimated by two years of sharp declines (meaning the percentage fall was not as heavy) fell about 12%.

I get that there would, ostensibly, still be trade to soften the blow, but the idea that the US would somehow see a rise in value in its currency by lopping off the fifth largest economy in the world is ludicrous.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,243,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Renters who spend 30% or more of their income on housing:
San Francisco Metro 45%
Fayetteville Metro 36%

Why is this^ so close?
Probably because:

1. U of Ark students make up a sizeable portion of the total population (given the metro area is small). As you know, college students don't make a lot of money.
2. WalMart is the large employer for the area. Even in corporate settings, retail doesn't pay top dollar like tech. However, probably still a good living given the low COL.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
And that’s great for Fayetteville! Some of us enjoy where we live enough we don’t have to tear down other cities that also rank well.
Boy, are you off base. Did I tear down anyplace? Of course I didn't. I am referring to people who do exactly that and in a very arrogant way. Of course it is wonderful to see your city on a positive list. Of course it is wonderful to like where you live and regardless of where it is, there all pros and cons. Would I live in the bay area again? No, but that only means, for me, there are more negatives than positives. For others they would live there forever and have. My niece, who lives in So. Ca.
came to visit last for a family celebration last summer. She loved the area but is CA though and though.
good for her.

I can go back to the 1960 when we did live in Marin county for 6 years. Even then, people who were living and/or raised in the bay area turned their noses up when someone mentioned being from So. CA. the attitude of people from the bay area has always been the same.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 830,031 times
Quote:
Boy, are you off base. Did I tear down anyplace? Of course I didn't. I am referring to people who do exactly that and in a very arrogant way. Of course it is wonderful to see your city on a positive list. Of course it is wonderful to like where you live and regardless of where it is, there all pros and cons. Would I live in the bay area again? No, but that only means, for me, there are more negatives than positives. For others they would live there forever and have. My niece, who lives in So. Ca.
came to visit last for a family celebration last summer. She loved the area but is CA though and though.
good for her.

I can go back to the 1960 when we did live in Marin county for 6 years. Even then, people who were living and/or raised in the bay area turned their noses up when someone mentioned being from So. CA. the attitude of people from the bay area has always been the same.
Well said!

Old 04-13-2019, 07:42 AM

21,627 posts, read 16,153,308 times
Quote:
good for her.

Hmmmm. Nita, I am really interested to read CC’s response to this. I didn’t think he was accusing you of “tearing down anyplace”, at all. I read his comment as agreeing with yours. Seems to me you are really being prickly as an Arkansas porcupine in your defense of your lovely state ... same as when I didn’t denigrate Fayetteville but you repeatedly reacted as though I had.

Boy, some folks here talk about defensive Californians - and overlook it’s a pretty common and natural reaction to stand up for what you love.

Have a nice Arkansas day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland