Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Bottom line is unless you are independently weathy or make 6 figures, living in San Fran would be the pits - this is why it doesn't belong on the list. Not that it's not a fabulous place to live, it is for sure - if you can afford it.
SF ‘earned’ its place on the list as every other city - and COL was part of the equation (which caused it to fall in rank). That you consider it the ‘pits’ (or consider a six figure income ‘out of reach’) is not a valid reason to state ‘it doesn’t belong on the list’. I don’t ever see myself living in Des Moines, but that doesn’t mean I don’t accept it made the list the same way SF did (scoring well in different categories).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Bottom line is unless you are independently weathy or make 6 figures, living in San Fran would be the pits -
Well thank goodness that most working families here make well above $100,000

2017 Median Income, 2-Earner Families:
Marin County, CA $184,022
San Mateo County, CA $174,054
San Francisco County, CA $171,619
Alameda County, CA $145,283
Contra Costa County, CA $140,210

Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Also interesting to note - SF got beat by Des Moines. LOL.
It makes sense - due to the COL/value; that said, I’ll take 7th.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
SF ‘earned’ its place on the list as every other city - and COL was part of the equation (which caused it to fall in rank). That you consider it the ‘pits’ (or consider a six figure income ‘out of reach’) is not a valid reason to state ‘it doesn’t belong on the list’. I don’t ever see myself living in Des Moines, but that doesn’t mean I don’t accept it made the list the same way SF did (scoring well in different categories).
Yeah weather for me is a deal breaker. Snow and humidity is what I consider 'the pits'. Boring, lackluster industry is what I consider 'the pits', lacking a real downtown with real amenities is totally 'the pits' imo.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:32 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well thank goodness that most working families here make well above $100,000

2017 Median Income, 2-Earner Families:
Marin County, CA $184,022
San Mateo County, CA $174,054
San Francisco County, CA $171,619
Alameda County, CA $145,283
Contra Costa County, CA $140,210
Thanks for making my point - you need to make well over 6 figures to make a decent life in these areas. Not everyone has the background to do that, in fact the vast majority in the US doesn't. Another thing to consider is there are only so many high paying jobs to go around, and if/when the booming tech field demand drops it will be a hard fall for a lot of these high paid employees.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Thanks for making my point - you need to make well over 6 figures to make a decent life in these areas. Not everyone has the background to do that, in fact the vast majority in the US doesn't. Another thing to consider is there are only so many high paying jobs to go around, and if/when the booming tech field demand drops it will be a hard fall for a lot of these high paid employees.
It's not just high paying tech jobs tho....nurses can make anywhere from $120,000 to $140,000.....more if they do contract work. I was surprised by this too....& if I can do it, a lot of other people can too.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's not just high paying tech jobs tho....nurses can make anywhere from $120,000 to $140,000.....more if they do contract work.
I really haven't done much research on it, but if wages in California are WAY higher for every type of job across the board, then home values are equally skewed compared to every most other areas - in other words, houses aren't really worth any more than most places factoring in the higher wages. Also, if true I think we can thank California for leading the charge of inflating the dollar value into nothing.
Interesting, I need to do some reading on it.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I really haven't done much research on it, but if wages in California are WAY higher for every type of job across the board, then home values are equally skewed compared to every most other areas - in other words, houses aren't really worth any more than most places factoring in the higher wages. Also, if true I think we can thank California for leading the charge of inflating the dollar value into nothing.
Interesting, I need to do some reading on it.
I don't know if salaries are all higher in the BA or not....but I can say they are a lot higher than what I made here as an RN...my last day was yesterday! It's not all about high tech. If you hate Sf so much, stay away from it....but there are people who are excited about moving there & I think the results of the Best Places to Live are fun to read.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for making my point - you need to make well over 6 figures to make a decent life in these areas.
I actually dont understand your response to my post at all. You say people have to make 6 figures to live well as if that figure is unattainable for most, but as the demographic data shows, 2-earner families in all 5 counties in the SF Metro have a median income well past $100,000.

Are you saying they shouldnt have to earn that much to live well? Perhaps but keep in mind that about 50% of all adults here have a bachelor degree or higher(only DC and SJ are higher) so they will likely be in good paying jobs anyway.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
In a way, the homeless have commited suicide in that they have given up trying to have a real life and are just wandering around waiting to die.
Not having a place to live or having schizophrenia, bipolar or other mental illnesses... or a drug addiction or even "giving up" is not the same as committing suicide. California is 45th on the list for suicides...."in a way" doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland