Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,567,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
But say, why limit ourselves to cities? Check out whole countries here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ess_population

Note the stunning numbers higher than the US by ratio ...
Russia, China, Ukraine, Australia, Canada, Bosnia ....
All “run a certain way”?
Behold the apologist's "what about" deflection: "other places are worse." Because other places may have similar, or even worse, drug abusers and vagrants committing crimes, how dare you set or expect standards of behavior in San Francisco, or anywhere else in the United States. For the criminal apologists, the lowest common denominator is their yardstick. Personal responsibility and accountability is discarded, replaced with a race to the bottom, where no abusive, lazy, or criminal behavior should ever be criticized.

Fecal matter on the streets? Used, infected syringes on school playgrounds? Assaults, harassment, stealing, omnipresent begging? Don't you dare criticize or demand better -- other places have a "higher ratio."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think this is Home Depot covering their rear in the event something happens, so they can blame - or share the cost - with the city, county, etc. Nobody is forcing Home Depot to stay. If they weren't making enough money to make it worth it to stay, they'd close the store.
The people in the encampments are stealing from the stores. They want the city to do something about it or they will leave. They're already losing money in having to pay for private security and loss of merchandise, this is not HD's burden to bear when they already pay millions in taxes.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:09 AM

21,643 posts, read 16,183,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I find this to be an odd response. I mean, no one expects HD to "do" anything about homeless people and the mess that follows when people have nowhere to "go." If people who are in a homeless encampment run it well, no problem out by the warehouse stores and loading docks. If it becomes a site of any of the following: used needles, rats running through garbage, feces, trash--then its a problem and authorities are supposed to do something about the health hazards and crime attraction of such conditions. That's not the store's responsibility, and no one thinks it is the store's responsibility. So I don't see how they need to cover anything, no one expects them to do anything.

It'd be like if I dumped a bunch of trash and used dirty needles at each end of your block, so cars and pedestrians cannot pass without risk of infection, and you complained to the city to do something about it. No one would say you are "covering your rear" if you complained.
Don’t know if you shop at Home Depot stores ever. But I’m pretty sure you are aware of the nature of our litigious society. Any opportunity to sue a large corporation WILL be actualized. Liability for parking lot or rest room confrontations, thefts, accidents? Oh my yes. To say nothing of racks and stacks of heavy merchandise climbed upon, tipped over, set ablaze.

Earlier in this thread you had a very thoughtful and thought-provoking post. This one needed a bit more pondering

Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Behold the apologist's "what about" deflection: "other places are worse." Because other places may have similar, or even worse, drug abusers and vagrants committing crimes, how dare you set or expect standards of behavior in San Francisco, or anywhere else in the United States. For the criminal apologists, the lowest common denominator is their yardstick. Personal responsibility and accountability is discarded, replaced with a race to the bottom, where no abusive, lazy, or criminal behavior should ever be criticized.

Fecal matter on the streets? Used, infected syringes on school playgrounds? Assaults, harassment, stealing, omnipresent begging? Don't you dare criticize or demand better -- other places have a "higher ratio."
Well looks who’s back to gnash teeth, wring hands, stamp feet and shout angrily about posts that simply present factual realities. ... all from a poster who does nothing in his/her life to mitigate the horrors s/he imagines are poisoning California in particular.

Now why don’t you run along and find any comment I made that “apologizes”.

The post I responded to specifies that Oakland represents uniquely poor management resulting in the same kinds problems found all over the nation and world. Which is obviously silly. Just as is your post.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Well Bravo. And don't forget going into the personal attack by labeling. Because if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're one of those nasty Right Wingers

Lord forbid they actually address the comment that was made.
Similarly, why don’t you identify what you considered a “personal attack” ... the response I made very directly addressed the comment made and nothing was said about “right-wingers”.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I wasn't referring to you in reference to "right-wingers"
I see. Ok. But understand you “bravo’d” a post that was targeting me exclusively ...

Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Yep, I sure did and added the 2nd post for the other poster who constantly goes into personal attacks by labeling others when they don't agree with his viewpoint. It's really quite childish and shows how close minded he is (there's really no sense in engaging him).
Ok, so let’s look at your “bravo” for the post’s assignment of “apologist” rhetoric ... in what way do you identify “apologist” sentiment? USDefault identified my earlier post as rationalizing and minimizing criminal and depraved behaviors. I neither implied nor inferred any such positions. So where is the “bravo” to be applied?

Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Then we can agree to disagree as my interpretation of your post is indeed to minimize criminal behavior by pointing to other areas that are worse and then by agreement with Nomoresnowforme's comment on Home Depot trying to cover themselves, you are simply blaming the victim.

Admittedly, I'm not in the mood to argue with you for pages on in (which appears to be your MO). If those were not your intentions, fine. That's how I interpret your comments and it appears USDefault interpreted it that way also (hence the "bravo"). I am in agreement with post #40.

Feel free to have the final word as this is as far as I'm taking this. Have a nice day.
I don’t see that I “pointed to other areas that are worse”. I pointed out that the problems described are similarly (not “worse” in any particular) existent all around the world throughout modern history. Therefore it was silly to try and pin this on Oakland’s current management.

Pretty straightforward, rational observation, really.

You know, there’s another thread going now about the tragedy of a highway work tripod being thrown off an overpass and impaling a passenger in a vehicle driving under. The stated premise of that thread is that this is a prime example of how ‘eff’d up California is ... and furthermore that if our state had a “good” governance such things wouldn’t happen here.

Absurd, of course. Unfortunately those types of bad acts happen everywhere. Just as I noted about the behaviors cited in this thread.

In the other thread, a half dozen or so responses, so far, have ridiculed the OP’s point. And no one has jumped in to call the responses “apologist”, or minimizing criminal behavior ... as you and Default have mine here. Odd, eh?

Have a nice day, Smow.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,589,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
When it comes to roads, we have learned that one cannot build one's way out of congestion.
Untrue. That's a shibboleth of the progressive left engaged in social engineering.

Mathematics teaches us all about network queuing theory and everything it entails. When it comes to roads, we have learned we built insufficient throughput capacity. Mathematics teaches us sufficient throughput capacity solves congestion.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,589,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think this is Home Depot covering their rear in the event something happens, so they can blame - or share the cost - with the city, county, etc.
I'm shocked that you think this. SHOCKED, I tell you. Round up the usual suspects.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland