Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,329,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave View Post
Thank you It's a reasonable budget for the bay area but pretty high for us even though we live 25 miles from NYC. It's what I think we would need when we started to explore the area online. However, it's the price of living in a HCOL area. Having said that, we would LOVE to keep it under 4K to make things a bit reasonable for us. 5K would be stretch for us since I am going to look for a new job when we get there. I am so confused how folks are able to buy a small house for 1-2M!
My wife & I made the move from Louisville, KY - Bay Area back in late 15' for my job. We left late 18' for another relocation for my job.

My wife & I had a different situation than yourself, its just us, no kids (Mid-Twenties) and we didn't want to live anywhere near SF/Oakland. We also apparently didn't make what everyone considered "enough" to make the move to the Bay Area, but I quickly found out, most people have a ton of a debt and we did EXCELLENT , actually that was the MOST COMFORTABLE we have ever been financially, while living in a HCOL area. We literally traveled every weekend to friends down in Huntington Beach, took trips to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, etc...Combined with 3-4 trips a year for seeing family & vacations and NEVER once struggled with money. People give first hand experiences and expect everyone to have similar experiences & or be in the same situation, which is obviously BS.

My point is- yes it's expensive, but if you're smart and realistic, all is cake. You'll be good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave;
Thanks for the link! Honestly, we didn't think about staying in SF. Aren't the school there on a lottery system?
Yes, they are. Also, commuting from the more affordable parts of town to where your husband's job will be can take longer than taking BART from some of the Eastbay communities.

Quote:
Thank you It's a reasonable budget for the bay area but pretty high for us even though we live 25 miles from NYC. It's what I think we would need when we started to explore the area online. However, it's the price of living in a HCOL area. Having said that, we would LOVE to keep it under 4K to make things a bit reasonable for us. 5K would be stretch for us since I am going to look for a new job when we get there. I am so confused how folks are able to buy a small house for 1-2M!
The bolded is why a couple of us suggested Albany, and thereabouts.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,306,921 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link! Honestly, we didn't think about staying in SF. Aren't the school there on a lottery system?
Its not a pure lotto. It is more of a convoluted rank choice system. If you get a school of your choice your have a good situation for 6 years. If not people go to parochial schools or move.

One advantage of renting in SF is rent control. The obscenely high rent of 2019 might be a bargain in 2024 if you are still here.

Before renting anywhere in the East Bay I suggest a trial commute at rush hour on Bart. I think it is a super overpacked human cattle car and I would never put up with that type of commute.

I also suggest looking in Pacifica. From the northern part of Pacifica it is a very quick drive to the Colma Bart station.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
My wife & I made the move from Louisville, KY - Bay Area back in late 15' for my job. We left late 18' for another relocation for my job.

My wife & I had a different situation than yourself, its just us, no kids (Mid-Twenties) and we didn't want to live anywhere near SF/Oakland. We also apparently didn't make what everyone considered "enough" to make the move to the Bay Area, but I quickly found out, most people have a ton of a debt and we did EXCELLENT , actually that was the MOST COMFORTABLE we have ever been financially, while living in a HCOL area. We literally traveled every weekend to friends down in Huntington Beach, took trips to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, etc...Combined with 3-4 trips a year for seeing family & vacations and NEVER once struggled with money. People give first hand experiences and expect everyone to have similar experiences & or be in the same situation, which is obviously BS.

My point is- yes it's expensive, but if you're smart and realistic, all is cake. You'll be good!
You find out if you are a "have " or "have not" in the Bay Area when you have a child and want to buy a home in a desirable neighborhood with a decent commute to SF , with excellent schools or be able to afford private schools.

Being a DINK in the Bay Area is not where the struggle presents itself

Old 05-10-2019, 03:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

We are a family of 4 relocating from New Jersey to Bay Area. I am hoping this amazing community will be able to help us narrow down burbs that we should be focusing on. Our plan is to rent a 3B/2B house/town-home or condo. Do not plan to purchase as it's doubtful we can afford the price tag. Hopefully the rent will be affordable!

Main requirements

*Decent Commute to Market St and Mission Bay Area
*Great Public School esp Elementary school as our children will be going to Kindergarten.
*Live right or very close to BART or Caltrain line
*Diversity in the community and welcoming to outsiders.
*Various options for outdoor activities.

Thanks so much! It's a big move for our family and we are looking forward to the Bay Area!
With two young children and a healthy budget like yours, you will be able to rent a house with a garden for your children to play and for you to enjoy. The weather in the SF Bay Area—outside of San Francisco—is heavenly.

One community that fits your needs perfectly (I have read a few of your past posts to learn more about your family) is Fremont, in the East Bay. Fremont prides itself on being a very diverse and welcoming community, and has great schools for your children. The elementary schools are mostly 9's and 8's.

I read that you are avid swimmers and like to have an indoor pool available. In neighboring Newark (Fremont encircles Newark), there is The Silliman Activity and Family Aquatic Center, which just underwent major renovations. There are multiple swimming pools inside, some are focused on children, such as splash pools and a "lazy river" , and others for advanced swimmers, including lanes for swimming.

http://www.newark.org/Home/ShowPubli...91555254370000

Aquatic Center Hours | Newark, CA

Depending where in Fremont you live, there is easy access to Fremont BART or Union City BART. Your commute on the train will be just under an hour, an easy commute if you have work to do or like to read when commuting, or a pain in the behind if you don't.

Your money may stretch a bit further in Union City, and your best bet there would be to live within the area that feeds into Delaine Eastin Elementary School, which has a Great Schools rating of 9. (67% of Delaine Eastin school students are Asian.)

Here's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1,470 sqft house with backyard in the Ardenwood (northern Fremont, 94555 zip code) district of Fremont that rents for $3,485:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/fremont/...55--1005357786

There are more house rentals in zip code 94555 here:

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/9455...ILY_HOME_type/

3-bedroom house rentals in zip code 94536 (central Fremont):

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/9453...ILY_HOME_type/

4 beds 2.5 baths 1,867 sqft Single Family Home (pet-friendly) in Union City (94587 zip) $3,550:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/union-ci...87--1012521569

And finally, if you are interested in Indian community groups in Fremont, there's this (even cricket!):

https://www.meetup.com/topics/indian...us/ca/fremont/
(Oops, looking at that again, that may be a dating website, not sure. I am out of the loop.)

If you are interested, Facebook is just across the Dumbarton bridge from Ardenwood district and Union City (within 10 miles), and Facebook has leased an additional 754,000 square feet in northern Fremont for another office.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/...-amazon-apple/

Wherever you decide to live, welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area!

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-10-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 PM

4,324 posts, read 6,290,597 times
You may need to look at the inland East Bay to get the quality schools in your budget, IMO. Some of the closer areas that others are recommending are known to just have so-so schools.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
There are so many, and such diverse, options on the plate now, OP should visit the area first, rent a car, snd visit the different communities, to see which ones appeal. Fremont's architecture and overall design are very different from Alameda and Albany, for example which have older, craftsman-style homes, a few Victorians, and walkable neighborhoods. Fremont homes generally have very small back yards, too, though Fremont has some nice parks and bike paths. Lafayette and Walnut Creek and Orinda, are more rural and suburban in feel, less walkable. Several of the communities mentioned have community pools, and the townhome complexes in those areas have their own pools, gyms and rec centers. The best schools are in Orinda and Lafayette, though most of the other towns also have good schools.

There are so many choices now, that the only way I can imagine the OP could narrow them down would be to take a driving tour of the East Bay.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM

120 posts, read 167,517 times
Yes! So many options to consider! We are going to be working with a relocation vendor so all of this is extremely important and valuable. I am sure I am going to have more questions! We actually have a cousin in Fremont however thought that it is a tough commute! Going to put it back on our list of places to look at! Thank you everyone for the inputs!

Old 05-10-2019, 06:21 PM

204 posts, read 389,417 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link and info! How did you find the transition from the East to the West coast? We live in a very awesome lake community in North NJ and my kids know so many kids in the community. I would love to find a close knit community like that in the Bay Area. I really hope that we do.
Well the transition was a bit simpler for my family because we were originally from California and moved back after a stint back east to be closer to relatives here. But I think some takeaways stand out regardless of our prior familiarity with the Bay Area:

- Housing is exceptionally expensive just about everywhere, which makes the dynamics different than back east where even pricey cities (DC and NYC for example) have commutable suburbs that are somewhat reasonable in price. There is just nowhere left that's affordable that isn't a grueling commute to job centers, so even though you have a good budget, you're going to see effects of this problem, from homelessness, to higher prices for services, to bad traffic, to worker shortages. It really is the key driver of many of the biggest issues this region faces.

- Unless you like humidity and snow, the east coast weather simply cannot hold a candle to the Bay Area climate. You'll be able to be outside year-round. It really is incredible and I bet your kids will love it. Just don't come expecting warm beaches - they're freezing!

- Culturally, it is a bit hard to describe the differences but you'll probably notice some distinctions, perhaps the most obvious is that people tend to be a bit less direct/more passive here. Still, I think you'll find more variety from person-to-person than from coast-to-coast. Especially in the suburbs. Besides, at this point there are so many people from other places that you'll find folks with all sorts of backgrounds and attitudes. You will probably also have plenty of transplants just like yourselves nearby.

- Food-wise, you'll probably miss some east-coast specialties but also appreciate the availability of fresh, local produce that you just cannot get back east. Eating out may be a bit more expensive here for nicer places, but groceries are about the same and sometimes less if you find good local sources.

- Stuff is not as old as back east, for better or for worse (personally, I loved all the historic buildings and neighborhoods back east but some people probably feel the opposite).

- Hills everywhere. Sure there are hills and even some "mountains" in NJ, but nothing compared to here. Funny anecdote, a friend from back east came to visit our very modest house here and said "wow you have a home in the hills" which just made me laugh because it's probably easier to find a place on a hill than on flat land.

- Tech is obviously quite prevalent here especially in San Francisco and around the Peninsula and South Bay. East Bay and North Bay seem a bit less tech-centric... slightly.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,306,921 times
Quote:
We actually have a cousin in Fremont however thought that it is a tough commute! Going to put it back on our list of places to look at!
If you are considering Fremont or Dublin I suggest getting a place within walking distance to the Bart station. Then you can eliminate the "driving to the station and trying to find parking" part of the commute.

Fremont is Indian food heaven as described in this previous post. This post is old, many more new places have recently opened.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/20431025-post43.html

Dublin is also becoming a third area for authentic Indian food in addition to Fremont and Sunnyvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland