Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 09:00 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy43 View Post
Visited San Francisco, Oakland late 2017. Homelessness was unreal. Downtown SF every corner, had homeless people. A few crazed ones. Homeless spitting on my shoes, shouting at people, scaring the tourists. Went to Target store, and homeless were stealing fruit, vegetables. They are starving. The store manager new he couldn’t do anything. So he let them go. Not sure if I will ever visit SF area again. Nice area, however the cons > pros.
Thanks for signing up to the forum to fill us in .... and congratulations on covering every street corner ... must have been exhausting ... but good you did it ... now you won’t have to ever come back ... since you’ve seen the whole town in that one visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Clean up your city and I will return.
Perhaps you missed it: I don’t want you to return.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Too bad, because San Francisco has lot going for it. However it’s deteriorating before your eyes. With rude comments like yours, there are no wonder people won’t revisit. You are definitely not and ambassador for your city. Maybe smile more......it’s a start.
I am smiling - laughing actually - at your posts. Which are either ridiculously uninformed ... or deliberately trolling. In either case, not to be considered seriously.

Have a nice day, whoever you are, wherever you are.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Too bad, because San Francisco has lot going for it. However it’s deteriorating before your eyes. With rude comments like yours, there are no wonder people won’t revisit. You are definitely not and ambassador for your city. Maybe smile more......it’s a start.
Uh, he does not live there.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Uh, he does not live there.
It was home until I moved to San Diego about 5 years ago.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:27 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,394 times
Quote:
Visited San Francisco, Oakland late 2017. Homelessness was unreal. Downtown SF every corner, had homeless people. A few crazed ones. Homeless spitting on my shoes, shouting at people, scaring the tourists. Went to Target store, and homeless were stealing fruit, vegetables. They are starving. The store manager new he couldn’t do anything. So he let them go. Not sure if I will ever visit SF area again. Nice area, however the cons > pros.
+1. SF is a cesspool. I have family there and won't visit because of the "environment" you spoke of above.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Perhaps you missed it: I don’t want you to return.
That's a rude thing to say.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
That's a rude thing to say.
Lol. You think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
SF is a cesspool. ...

Old 12-15-2020, 11:40 AM

653 posts, read 463,709 times
If only SF could go back to the old days...

"The Barbary Coast is the haunt of the low and the vile of every kind. The petty thief, the house burglar, the tramp, the ***** monger, lewd women, cut-throats, murderers, are all found here.

Dance halls and concert-saloons, where blear-eyed men and faded women drink vile liquor, smoke offensive tobacco, engage in vulgar conduct, sing obscene songs and say and do everything to heap upon themselves more degradation, are numerous.

Low gambling houses, thronged with riot-loving rowdies, in all stages of intoxication, are there. Opium dens, where heathen Chinese and God-forsaken men and women are sprawled in miscellaneous confusion, disgustingly drowsy or completely overcome, are there.

Licentiousness, debauchery, pollution, loathsome disease, insanity from dissipation, misery, poverty, wealth, profanity, blasphemy, and death, are there.

And Hell, yawning to receive the putrid mass, is there also."

-Benjamin Estelle Lloyd, 1876

Old 02-03-2021, 10:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,081 times
Default My Two Cents on SF and Homelessness in General

I lived in SF after I left the military in the 70's. I loved the architecture, the hills, the natural beauty and weather. I left because a job took me somewhere else. Many years later, I came back with my husband and was horrified and dismayed at the homeless situation (I don't remember seeing any in the 70's). I live near DC now and they also have a large homeless population. There are charity organizations in DC that try to help the homeless, one is So Others Might Eat (SOME). SOME feeds, houses, educates and rehabilitates the homeless, but the demand is much greater than what SOME can do.

The reason why homeless live in cities is that they are more accessible, more hospitable architecturally, and more impersonal; you will note that there are few homeless in the suburbs or the countryside. I do not believe that the homeless want to live on the streets, but they prefer the streets to the shelters, where they are preyed upon. No one wants to be homeless; as others have said, they are either mentally ill, addicted, or down on their luck, with little chance to improve their lot camping out in an expensive city. Something should be done about them for their sake, and for the sake of the residents of the cities where they live. If I were queen for a day, I would re-institute mental institutions, create drug rehab facilities, work camps in rural farm areas, and I would encourage the building of inexpensive housing, the hiring of homeless vice illegal aliens, and subsidize apprenticeships in the trades. These are the least of our brethren...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland