U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM

18,072 posts, read 5,059,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
EAST Bay Nostalgia:

Remember the Partridge Family TV Show about a rock n roll/pop band with a School Bus re-painted in "psychedelic colors"?

If I remember correctly, the show was set in "SAN PABLO".

It was the early 1970's and the San Francisco music scene was huge; it seemed fitting to set this family pop music show in a San Francisco suburb.

Sidenote:
Because they rarely talked about the town of San Pablo much, nor where it was located or anything I think the producers thought they had created a fictional town called San Pablo because there was no San Pablo in Southern Cal. It seems any reference to location implied they were in a LA suburb.

If they intentional set the show in a Northern Cal suburb of San Francisco they never really talked about the East Bay/SF or anything NorCal. Or maybe they did and I just don't remember that. :-)
Close. it was set in the fictional town of San Pueblo, not San Pablo.

The show was filmed in Southern California, and I always assumed that the fictional town was supposed to be in Southern California, but there was one line that described it as being ‘40 miles from Napa County’. San Pablo is 30 miles from Napa, but apparently that one line was the only reference to location in any episode that aired.

The Partridge Family was loosely based on the real life group The Cowsills. There was thought given to the real life members being some of the kids, but Mr. Cowsill wanted Mrs Cowsill to play the mother, and the producers were set on Shirley Jones to play the mother.

There was another pilot that was filmed (that never aired), and apparently that pilot had more ‘Cowsill like’ references (mentioning the father attending a part in Ohio...The Cowsills (although from Rhode Island) had lived in Ohio, etc.).

I doubt the house was meant to Be specific to any geographical area. It is a house that is on the Warner Brothers (then Columbia) Ranch in Burbank. The Partridge’s house was also used on Dennis the Menace, Bewitched, The Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, and a number of other shows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:45 PM

923 posts, read 388,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
EAST Bay Nostalgia:

Remember the Partridge Family TV Show about a rock n roll/pop band with a School Bus re-painted in "psychedelic colors"?

If I remember correctly, the show was set in "SAN PABLO".

It was the early 1970's and the San Francisco music scene was huge; it seemed fitting to set this family pop music show in a San Francisco suburb.

Sidenote:
Because they rarely talked about the town of San Pablo much, nor where it was located or anything I think the producers thought they had created a fictional town called San Pablo because there was no San Pablo in Southern Cal. It seems any reference to location implied they were in a LA suburb.

If they intentional set the show in a Northern Cal suburb of San Francisco they never really talked about the East Bay/SF or anything NorCal. Or maybe they did and I just don't remember that. :-)
That's an interesting bit of trivia there Chimérique. As one whose kitchen window looked out upon the San Pablo Bay, it caught my attention.

As a kid I was in love with David Cassidy, so I'm quite familiar with the program. Never noticed where they were supposed to be located. Back then all that mattered was that they were in California where all the movie stars lived. lol

Old 08-27-2020, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 8,800 times
Is El Sobrante really full of white middle aged bikers?! Was hoping to move there some day until I heard about the guy who insists on paving his landscape with the swastika. The author seems to have disdain for El Sobrante.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:41 AM

87,842 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel24 View Post
Is El Sobrante really full of white middle aged bikers?! Was hoping to move there some day until I heard about the guy who insists on paving his landscape with the swastika. The author seems to have disdain for El Sobrante.
There's another article linked at the bottom of the main one, titled "Why does Contra Costa County Have So Many Nazis"? Did you see that? Yikes!

Old 09-02-2020, 10:42 AM

87,842 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Hey, Pix, great to see you around! How's the view from Vallejo these days? Anything interesting to report? I hope you're well, in spite of everything that's been going on...

Old 09-02-2020, 11:05 AM

38,073 posts, read 17,921,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel24 View Post
I'm not sure, I would expect that younger ones can no longer afford to live there, but it always had that same 'white trash' reputation as did San Pablo & Rodeo. A bit of regional trivia for you; the prison gang FAIM (Family Affiliated Irish Mafia) was founded in Rodeo.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:06 PM

992 posts, read 792,391 times
El Sobrante might have a white trash reputation, but there's a growing Asian population these days. Having the Sikh temple there likely helps. Give it another 10 years and that Nazi guy will probably give up and move to a cabin in Idaho, leaving the rest of us in peace.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 PM

38,073 posts, read 17,921,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
El Sobrante might have a white trash reputation, but there's a growing Asian population these days. Having the Sikh temple there likely helps. Give it another 10 years and that Nazi guy will probably give up and move to a cabin in Idaho, leaving the rest of us in peace.
You're probably right, they were in their hay day when meth labs were still a thing in the US.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:58 PM

432 posts, read 164,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post

The author, Abraham Woodliff, seems like he's got lots of potential as a writer. This led me to look into some of his other articles on the site.

Then I was brought to this one:

https://brokeassstuart.com/2019/08/0...-bay-area-are/

I quit counting after the 6th "F-bomb" was dropped...

It's a shame that there had to be so much vulgarity laced into what otherwise would be awesome journalism.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:47 PM

32,737 posts, read 36,175,352 times
I've lived in the East Bay for over 60 years and don't know that I've ever been to San Pablo except to drive through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland