Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 PM

137 posts, read 542,913 times

Advertisements

I will be attending Golden Gate University for my Master's of Taxation starting this July. It is located in the financial district and I won't be taking my car up to SF with me.

Where can I live that would be close to public transit and take 20 minutes or less to get to GGU? I would prefer a safe area. I will be getting a roommate, so I am looking at 900/month or less for rent+utilities included in that amount. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
It's technically in South of Market (SoMa), but only by a couple of blocks. There's no shortage of public transit options - all of Samtrans' express buses from San Mateo County go to Mission & 1st, and they run from as far out as Palo Alto. Then you have BART, which goes as far out as Pittsburg and stops underneath Market & 2nd.

So in other words, you have lots and lots of options. It all depends on the surroundings you're after.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:01 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
With BART being so close, the East Bay offers some pretty good, lower-cost alternatives to SF.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM

332 posts, read 772,739 times
Pretty much anywhere in the city.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Default I prefer being close enough to public transportation so that ...

I wouldn't have to walk very far to get to the train/bus/rail station. I heard that SF is hilly, so I wouldn't want to be walking that far with my backpack on. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It's technically in South of Market (SoMa), but only by a couple of blocks. There's no shortage of public transit options - all of Samtrans' express buses from San Mateo County go to Mission & 1st, and they run from as far out as Palo Alto. Then you have BART, which goes as far out as Pittsburg and stops underneath Market & 2nd.

So in other words, you have lots and lots of options. It all depends on the surroundings you're after.
I want to be around a place that is near shops/restaurants/all the necessities of life. Since I won't have a car, I prefer being walking distance to those things. And I also want a safe area with less homeless people. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I want to be around a place that is near shops/restaurants/all the necessities of life. Since I won't have a car, I prefer being walking distance to those things. And I also want a safe area with less homeless people. Thanks.
Most places that are extremely walkable are also going to have panhandlers.. because they go where the people are and where the money is. I live in South San Francisco, and it's very safe, very affordable, very walkable (if you're close to El Camino Real), but very boring.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
Like sonarrat said, you're going to encounter homeless people in the walkable/convenient neighborhoods... otherwise I'd suggest the Tenderloin, Civic Center or SoMa, but those are definitely not "safe with less homeless." If I were you, I'd consider living near a BART or light-rail station that's farther from downtown - for instance Glen Park, inner Sunset/Richmond, Ocean View, North Beach (possibly too expensive), Mission Bay, etc. Glen Park is a really nice neighborhood, but does have quite a few hills! You could also live in the East Bay, as someone else suggested, like Berkeley or Lake Merritt.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Most places that are extremely walkable are also going to have panhandlers.. because they go where the people are and where the money is. I live in South San Francisco, and it's very safe, very affordable, very walkable (if you're close to El Camino Real), but very boring.
How far is South San Francisco from GGU?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Which areas in the East Bay are safe and walkable? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland