Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 05:45 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
I personally don’t like the housing stock in concord. It’s almost all ranch homes and I can’t stand those , so, for me, I believe concord is overpriced. Still cheaper then a lot of the Bay Area with ok schools and lower crime rates.
The schools are not really ok, in my opinion. At least not most of them. Most range from mediocre to down right bad. For example, you could pay 800k for a 2000 square foot ranch, but Ayers>Pinehollw,CHS gives you elementary/middle/high schools that rank 6/5/6 out of 10. Mount Diablo high ranks 3/10, Ygnacio 4/10, and Concord High 6/10. I'm not sure about Northgate 9/10 and Clayton Valley High 8/10 boundaries, but if you can find a neighborhood there it would be much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 06:17 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
I personally don’t like the housing stock in concord. It’s almost all ranch homes and I can’t stand those , so, for me, I believe concord is overpriced. Still cheaper then a lot of the Bay Area with ok schools and lower crime rates.
We're retired so we actually prefer a single level house.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:30 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
There's also a part of Concord which some people refer to Clayton along the southern part of the area along Ygnacio Valley/Kirker Pass Road. That area has some middle class areas and some reasonably upscale ones. You can pretty much find anything from ghetto to nice suburbia across Concord, a little unusual when most surrounding towns are more consistently middle class like Pleasant Hill, consistently upscale like Walnut Creek/Danville/Lamorinda, or consistently rough and run down like Antioch and Pittsburg.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:15 PM

24 posts, read 28,007 times
i live off of Treat and I love where I live. I've lived here a year with no issues at all. I'm really happy. With Concord, the 94521 zip code is your best bet.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:23 AM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Rossmore, for seniors still a nice location for seniors ? Heat tolerant, temperature, warm, 90's, uncomfortable, 100 +. Former resident, near Concord High School, 1993.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:14 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Rossmore, for seniors still a nice location for seniors ? Heat tolerant, temperature, warm, 90's, uncomfortable, 100 +. Former resident, near Concord High School, 1993.
Rossmoor is out in-between Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and Alamo. That area can hit the triple digits during the annual summer heat wave, plus, there have been other heatwaves due to global warming, so things are changing. You should probably visit mid-summer, and talk to people there, and see how comfortable it is during more or less routine summer temps. Be aware that we're in a La Nina year, so it will be a drier year that usual.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:22 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rossmoor is out in-between Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and Alamo. That area can hit the triple digits during the annual summer heat wave, plus, there have been other heatwaves due to global warming, so things are changing. You should probably visit mid-summer, and talk to people there, and see how comfortable it is during more or less routine summer temps. Be aware that we're in a La Nina year, so it will be a drier year that usual.
Well, I'd argue that the inland East Bay is better equipped for heat waves then the rest of the Bay Area. Here, AC is common, whereas it isn't as much in other areas. My home, including almost everyone else I know, has central air. If you avoid spending a lot of time outdoors in the middle of the day, its actually quite tolerable, temperature-wise. The nights are always comfortable and I love sitting outdoors during balmy evenings, which you can't do frequently in the rest of the Bay Area. Smoke can be a major issue, but that's the case across all of the Bay Area.

I've previously lived in SF and Mountain View, in places without central air. Let me tell you that this was extremely uncomfortable at times and I don't miss those sleepless nights. Unfortunately, with global warming, this is becoming more common.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:41 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rossmoor is a 55+ community. The monthly fees are huge. I'm not interested in moving there. I prefer a neighborhood with all ages. Kids are a a lot of fun!

I actually have a free place to move to in Concord. I'm looking forward to that.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:24 PM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, I'd argue that the inland East Bay is better equipped for heat waves then the rest of the Bay Area. Here, AC is common, whereas it isn't as much in other areas. My home, including almost everyone else I know, has central air. If you avoid spending a lot of time outdoors in the middle of the day, its actually quite tolerable, temperature-wise. The nights are always comfortable and I love sitting outdoors during balmy evenings, which you can't do frequently in the rest of the Bay Area. Smoke can be a major issue, but that's the case across all of the Bay Area.

I've previously lived in SF and Mountain View, in places without central air. Let me tell you that this was extremely uncomfortable at times and I don't miss those sleepless nights. Unfortunately, with global warming, this is becoming more common.
That's interesting. There was a time when A/C wasn't common out there. Maybe at Rossmoor it was, but none of my relatives in the Lamorinda area had A/C. I remember windows being open to create a cross-breeze during the summer months. The house my cousin bought in WC sometime in the 90's didn't have A/C. She only got it about 10 years ago.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:30 AM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I actually have a free place to move to in Concord. I'm looking forward to that.
If by free, that means just given to you, by all means, take it. San Francisco has an exodus going on, and many are going to the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
From today's Chron: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-15955527.php

"People are leaving S.F., but not for Austin or Miami. USPS data shows where they went"

Spoiler alert: 41% of the people moving in SF are staying within SF. The top 6 destinations for ex-SF residents are 6 of the Bay Area's 8 other counties, with the other 2 also making the list (Napa #9, Solano #14). LA, San Diego, and Riverside round out the top 10. Only Austin and Denver cracked the top 20.

However, looking at the Bay Area as a whole, there has been an 80% increase in changes of address to outside the region. The article doesn't state where to exactly but does identify the cost of living and quality of life as primary drivers, which probably surprises nobody but our politicians at this point.
Concord is in Contra Costa County, which is at least number 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland