Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 68,336 times

Advertisements

What are the worst rush hours to commute over the Golden gate bridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 AM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Probably early morning heading south (into the city), and early evening heading north... most people who use the bridge commute from Marin into SF, and the traffic can get quite heavy around Santa Rosa and San Rafael. I used that bridge occasionally while commuting to Napa, and it was pretty empty going in the reverse directions - wasn't even that bad on the other side, but I'd usually leave later than most people (9:30-10am & 6pm). Either way, it's better than the Bay Bridge drive!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Friday afternoons and weekends can get ugly in both directions as well.. tourists and North Bayers streaming into the City by the thousands!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 103,713 times
Note that I don't do this commute (thankfully), so this is a guess from my experience of AVOIDING the bad times =) Rush hour out of the city starts around 4pm, probably going until 6 or so. You're going to be in bumper to bumper traffic from SF well into San Rafael before it gets tolerable. I'd guess take normal driving times and add 50-100%. Into the city is like 6am-8am or so. As gizmo980 mentioned, traffic up 101 gets slow again around Petaluma heading up into Santa Rosa, then rough again in Santa Rosa (mainly due to construction).. but personally I think you're crazy if you want to drive from Santa Rosa to SF every day!

They're also talking about raising the toll from $5 to $6 (you only pay going into the city). You can get a FastTrak pass, but I don't know what the discount is. If it's an option, there is ferry service from sausalito, larkspur (Golden Gate Ferry), and if you go well out of the way, vallejo (Official Web Site - Vallejo Baylink Ferry). I haven't taken them during rush hour, but my dad used to.. they're a pretty nice way to commute. Lots of space, snack bar, etc. Problem with the ferries off of highway 101 is if you live farther north, you still have to get into a lot of the traffic mess to get to the ferry terminal.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 68,336 times
Thanks for all the replies. My working hours can be quite flexible. I looked at the webcam yesterday between 6-7am. Didn't look too bad then, maybe a slow day. Probably leaving work could be more of a problem as some days I might want to leave already around 5pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland