Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 02:33 PM

21,828 posts, read 25,094,690 times

Advertisements

Yard work stuff. I've been planning on redoing the back patio, running a new sprinkler line, replanting some plantar boxes. Now that I'm running out of work stuff to do it would be a good time to do that. Maybe not the patio as I'd probably rent a jackhammer to break it up but I could have gotten everything else beforehand which would give me a few days of things to do in the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I know that some of the stores here already do at least twice a day of deep cleaning......& they wipe down all screens & check out lanes every hour. Part of the reason for early morning senior hrs is that more stuff is available then.......trucks have come in overnight. My fiance's father has gone at that time & he has been able to find stuff that I can't......like Lysol cleaner & toilet paper.
edit: you should be taking advantage of it IMO........I've barely been able to find chicken or pasta.
We can't take advantage of hours offered while we are still fast asleep, and we really need the sleep. We are getting up a bit earlier day by day—with setbacks like today—but no way we could get to the grocery store early enough for senior hours, at least not yet.

Therefore, we are doing without new stuff, whether it is food or supplies.

We already had enough toilet paper and paper towels, thanks to specials offered at Target over the past six months, such as when they would offer a gift card with purchase. I'm really glad about that. We have not only toilet paper, but our favorite brand, and we didn't have to take any supply from anyone else now looking for it. We seldom use Lysol spray under normal conditions, so the two cans of spray that we already had on hand are enough for now.

We haven't eaten or been able to buy eggs or fresh meat in the past week or two (husband says two weeks), and we (he, actually) won't go out shopping until we absolutely must. I hate the crazy sterilization mode we need to go into whenever he gets back home, but it is necessary because as seniors 60+, we are most vulnerable to the virus.

We are currently eating canned herring and sardines with rice and beans, and whatever else we already had in the pantry or freezer. As a former Girl Scout, with the motto of "Be Prepared," I always have a well-stocked pantry. So, we aren't eating our favorite foods, but we aren't starving, either. We are, however, rationing everything. I seldom use an entire sheet of paper towel, cutting off what I need and saving the rest.

The toughest part for me will be when the fresh milk runs out. We have some almond milk, which I don't like at all, and we have a small stash of shelf-stable milk, but the fresh milk will be harder for me to lose than
eggs or meat. We are on the last quart of fresh milk now, a store brand that was in a paper carton that we froze soon after buying. We are definitely not getting enough protein, though, at least according to RDA amounts.

We don't usually use Purell, but I wish we had some now for my husband when he ultimately goes out to the stores again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: