U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:46 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,531,459 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about the obvious things like toiletries, groceries, and medications. I'm talking about things that fell under your radar, that it just never occurred to you to buy. And now that it's harder to leave the house, you really wish you had thought of that thing beforehand.

Ditto goes for errands and tasks.

Signs indicate that where I live, we will also be in shelter-in-place within a few days. I think my household is set (and no, we didn't hoard), but I can't help but think that there's something I'm forgetting that I'm going to really wish we had gotten. Maybe if you share your stories of that one obscure but essential thing you forgot, it will help the rest of us prepare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,531,459 times
I will add some items to the to-do list for anyone whose county has not shut down much so far. These are the things my household wishes we had gotten done:

Haircuts. I can cut my own hair, but my husband is due for one, and when he called the salon today, they were already closed for the foreseeable future. Which means I'm going to have to play barber at some point, and it's not going to be pretty (growing it out or shaving it are not options).

DMV needs. Yes, our state government says they'll waive late fees if you can't renew your registration or license, but that's not very reassuring. If you've got a registration renewal coming up in the next 3 months, get it done now, especially if it's mostly drive-thru service.

Oil change. You know how your dashboard lights up when you get to 3500 miles, and you think "That's how they get you! I'll do it at 5000 miles. What kind of sucker do they take me for?" Don't be like me. Just get it done early, if you're in that range. And then you won't have to worry about finding a way to get it done if this thing drags on a long time. Obviously if you can do it yourself, great, but I'm speaking to the rest of us.

Home office needs. If there's something you'll need to replace soon, get it. Two days after our restaurant ban went into effect, the area stores were picked clean of things like laptops.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:12 PM

86,039 posts, read 79,200,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
I'm not talking about the obvious things like toiletries, groceries, and medications. I'm talking about things that fell under your radar, that it just never occurred to you to buy. And now that it's harder to leave the house, you really wish you had thought of that thing beforehand.

Ditto goes for errands and tasks.

Signs indicate that where I live, we will also be in shelter-in-place within a few days. I think my household is set (and no, we didn't hoard), but I can't help but think that there's something I'm forgetting that I'm going to really wish we had gotten. Maybe if you share your stories of that one obscure but essential thing you forgot, it will help the rest of us prepare.
"Harder" in what sense? You can still go to the store and get what you need, if they ave it. Bay Area stores are now even setting up special hours for people 60+ and others with heightened risk.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:48 PM

881 posts, read 706,171 times
Definitely a couple things I wish I had gotten to... (1) Haircut. I had an appointment with my barber scheduled for Wednesday. The shelter-in-place order started Tuesday. Whoops. (2) Office stuff. Mostly stocked up, but with two of us here full time, I'm short one printer cable and half a workstation. Also had a USB drive crap out on me. Making due with repurposed furniture and the USB drive is on order from Amazon (good luck), but who knows if I'll ever get a printer cable.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 AM

32,255 posts, read 35,623,519 times
Haircuts WOULD have been nice. Especially for my 88 year old mom. She had an appointment on Wed that was cancelled.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,249,113 times
I'm excited to go off the rails and not get a haircut. Is that weird? Maybe I'll stop shaving too. No one is hiring anyway. Who cares! lol!

Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 AM

33,670 posts, read 58,058,903 times
I wish I could get a haircut, mani-pedi, facial and massage.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:06 AM

17,040 posts, read 9,585,144 times
If I had hair to cut I’d probably wish I’d got one, yeah ...

Old 03-20-2020, 01:11 AM

5,409 posts, read 3,876,714 times
A can opener.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:52 AM

19,425 posts, read 17,543,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
DMV needs.... If you've got a registration renewal coming up in the next 3 months, get it done now
You can't. The DMVs in our area are closed. There are no appointments available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or