Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Yes. I own a rent controlled 6-unit apartment building in the mission/dolores park area. Four of the tenants are originals and have lived here for over 30 years (and are paying $1100/month in rent for 2-bedroom apartments). They are middle class/lower middle class. I have only had two vacancies in 30 years and those two occurred because the tenants died. One unit is paying about $2200 (he moved in 12 years ago) and the other current level rent (moved in 2 years ago).

This isn't unusual. I know other owners with similar buildings and friends who are renting apartments in rent-controlled buildings and have lived there for 30 years.

Edited to add - when I say middle class, that is what would be considered middle class in the bay area. People who are architects, building inspectors with the city, etc.
Thanks for this peek behind the scenes. Are you able to keep up with maintenance, in spite of the high percentage of low rents?

Do you have public servants among your tenants: teacher, transit driver, cop? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for this peek behind the scenes. Are you able to keep up with maintenance, in spite of the high percentage of low rents?

Do you have public servants among your tenants: teacher, transit driver, cop? Just curious.
No problem keeping up with maintenance and upkeep. Took a big financial hit with the earthquake retrofit a couple of years ago (160K) but knew it was coming and was able to prepare for it. The following year replaced the roof and painted the exterior of building. Hope this year is a little better (and tenants pay their rent on time). Repairs are always done in a timely manner.

I've only had two vacancies in almost 30 years. No teachers or police officers have ever lived in the building. The old-time tenants have a variety of jobs.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
No problem keeping up with maintenance and upkeep. Took a big financial hit with the earthquake retrofit a couple of years ago (160K) but knew it was coming and was able to prepare for it. The following year replaced the roof and painted the exterior of building. Hope this year is a little better (and tenants pay their rent on time). Repairs are always done in a timely manner.

I've only had two vacancies in almost 30 years. No teachers or police officers have ever lived in the building. The old-time tenants have a variety of jobs.
This is very impressive. So, what I used to hear from Berkeley LL's, about it being impossible to maintain a building under rent control, so some operated their buildings as bed-and-breakfast units (in the days before Air B & B), while others kept their buildings empty, isn't true, apparently. (But Berkeley has a more radical form of rent control. That may play a role.)
Good for you!

Old 03-26-2020, 05:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is very impressive. So, what I used to hear from Berkeley LL's, about it being impossible to maintain a building under rent control, so some operated their buildings as bed-and-breakfast units (in the days before Air B & B), while others kept their buildings empty, isn't true, apparently. (But Berkeley has a more radical form of rent control. That may play a role.)
Good for you!

At think at one time Berkeley had a vacancy control aspect to it's rent control law. That has been long done away with........allowing the property owner to raise the rent to current market value, when a tenant moves out of a rent controlled unit

Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,853 times
Quote:
Yes. I own a rent controlled 6-unit apartment building in the mission/dolores park area. Four of the tenants are originals and have lived here for over 30 years (and are paying $1100/month in rent for 2-bedroom apartments). They are middle class/lower middle class. I have only had two vacancies in 30 years and those two occurred because the tenants died. One unit is paying about $2200 (he moved in 12 years ago) and the other current level rent (moved in 2 years ago).

This isn't unusual. I know other owners with similar buildings and friends who are renting apartments in rent-controlled buildings and have lived there for 30 years.

Edited to add - when I say middle class, that is what would be considered middle class in the bay area. People who are architects, building inspectors with the city, etc.
And we wonder why we have a housing shortage. Newer residents get the short end of the stick.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
And we wonder why we have a housing shortage. Newer residents get the short end of the stick.
Well, it's better than having buildings stand empty, because the owner doesn't want the hassle of radical eviction-protection laws, and maintaining buildings on limited (rent-controlled) income. Talk about housing shortages; some LL's simply took entire buildings off the rental market before. Now they have an incentive to be in the game. It may not be an ideal solution, but the market conditions out there are far from ideal, too.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 PM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
A city's middle class income range is calculated by multiplying the area's median income by two-thirds its amount and by double its amount. In San Francisco, where the median household income is $96,265, the middle income range is $64,177 to an eye-popping $192,530.

Yes, there is a large middle class of households in SF earning a figure that falls within this range of income.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 PM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times
My husband and I are middle class but fortunately we're not renters. We own a house that we bought in 1986 before prices went through the roof. It's 2 bedrooms and one bath, 1100 sq. ft., but it's in a nice neighborhood. We couldn't afford to buy it now as our income is modest by San Francisco standards.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I’m sorry if it’s a silly question. I havent been to the City in 7-8 years and remember that there was still a “working class”, but then noticed that some who were lucky enough to have parents nearby went to live with them. My friends lived in a 2BR makeshift apartment in the Haight for about $2,500/mo, which they said was a bargain. They have since left as well. Meanwhile, we keep reading about gentrification of the Mission District, one of the last working class enclaves in the City. So, are there any middle class folks left?
Prop 13 protects a generation of Chinese who bought their homes in the 1960s. They are cash poor and will live there until they die. Their Children have moved to the suburbs and will sell when their parents die.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:25 AM

144 posts, read 140,057 times
I was wondering the same thing, my husband was offered a job in that area and one of the reasons he does not want to take it, is cost of living. We now live in SC in a 4 bedroom house, 3k sqft, a house like that in the bay area would costs millions, while it's only a few 100k here, so we would need to downsize, which would be fine. I'm just confused, there are cashiers ect that only make minimum wage, where do they live? How can they afford to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland