U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 PM

7,128 posts, read 2,989,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ahhh-HA! I suspected as much! I was in Santa Cruz last fall, and I DEFINITELY came down with something, that had a bronchial aspect to it, and it wouldn't quit! Though I don't recall a fever or achiness, I was strangely fatigued; it was more like a cold, but with coughing and wheezing, and pain in the lungs.

I've mentioned this to a couple of people lately, and they've said, "no, it couldn't have been Covid, because it hadn't hit the US yet." IDK, but I always eat at my fave Chinese restaurant when I'm there, and the chef/owner is from the Mainland somewhere.... And the restaurant is regularly visited by Chinese students, and who knows who else among the patrons may have been to China around that time... Could be just a co-incidence I guess. Getting tested might provide interesting results, but I'm asymptomatic currently.

VERY interesting article, OP! Thank you.
What restaurant?

Santa Cruz is notorious for not having good Chinese food (as discussed on Next Door, not just my personal opinion).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 AM

85,868 posts, read 79,112,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What restaurant?

Santa Cruz is notorious for not having good Chinese food (as discussed on Next Door, not just my personal opinion).
Interesting. I didn't know that. It just happened, that the first one I tried years ago was such a hit, I never bothered to try any others. It's Yan Flower, on Pacific Ave. The soups are chock-full of ingredients; they don't skimp. And their dumplings/pot stickers are more flavorful. It makes me wonder, if the long-time Taiwanese restaurant owners haven't become complacent, putting less effort into their cooking, and also skimping on ingredients to economize.

Back to topic, I noticed as the virus outbreak developed, that Monterey County remained virus-free for quite awhile. Maybe because, as the article implies, people had built up an immunity? Or maybe a coincidence. Santa Cruz got their first case later than the Bay Area, IIRC, and it was someone who had returned from a visit to Seattle.

OTOH, if the theory the article posits is correct, the Seattle area might have built up immunity early, too. While the area doesn't have as many Chinese as the Bay Area does, the universities there do have students from China, and they have study-abroad programs in China.

I don't know if there's any way to evaluate the theory the article puts forward. You'd think, that if people had been bringing the virus to CA "early", that at least a few people would have gotten sick, rather than everyone magically developing immunity. Or maybe some people did get sick (like me?), but not sick enough to end up in the ER.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:39 AM

85,868 posts, read 79,112,132 times
OP, have you noticed your link no longer works? What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper;
This makes a lot of sense. Last Nov I was sick with all the symptoms of covid. It felt like a virus I’d never had before. I also think the warm weather in Ca is helping a lot too
Did you have the lung symptoms, too? I wonder--would you be able to get tested now, if you're asymptomatic? I thought they're still limiting testing to those with symptoms, and those who have been exposed to people who are symptomatic or who have been diagnosed.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:51 AM

3,938 posts, read 2,242,993 times
Quote:

Did you have the lung symptoms, too? I wonder--would you be able to get tested now, if you're asymptomatic? I thought they're still limiting testing to those with symptoms, and those who have been exposed to people who are symptomatic or who have been diagnosed.
They can do antibody tests on people who might have had the virus. My friend is a nurse in Bakersfield who was very sick in Jan. She had the antibody test and yep she had Covid then.

When I was sick in Nov I had a dry cough very tired and slight fever. I went on a home tour with my sister and had to drive to the houses because I didn’t have the energy to walk. It was strange because I’d had a cold the month previous and I never get sick that often.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:01 PM

878 posts, read 703,423 times
It's an interesting theory. I know a couple people who got sick over the winter with what seemed like the flu even though they had had a flu shot. They assumed it was a different flu strain (flu shot doesn't cover all strains) but you never know. The Bay Area is very cosmopolitan and has strong ties to China (including non-stop flights to Wuhan) and the outside world in general. Many of the first documented cases in the area were associated with that cruise to Mexico back in February, but maybe that was a stronger or different variant...

Old 04-10-2020, 06:39 PM

27,233 posts, read 55,617,042 times
We had several out with the "Flu"... they were up to date with everything as are most RNs.

Kept expecting to get it but lucky I have not been sick in a very long time...

Old 04-10-2020, 06:58 PM

33,657 posts, read 58,025,852 times
Im fairly certain I had it in december...it was really awful but after a week or so I recovered.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 PM

27,233 posts, read 55,617,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im fairly certain I had it in december...it was really awful but after a week or so I recovered.
Glad to have you back... Stay safe my friend

Old 04-10-2020, 07:36 PM

33,657 posts, read 58,025,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Glad to have you back... Stay safe my friend
Thank you and likewise

Old 04-11-2020, 07:02 AM

132 posts, read 41,695 times
Quote:
Dead link makes me question its validity as much as its absurdity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland