U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:32 AM

5,374 posts, read 7,049,460 times

Advertisements

Here's a different, and working, media link covering the same topic:

Coronavirus herd immunity in California? Doctor shares his thoughts
https://abc7.com/health/coronavirus-...ughts/6093912/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 PM

86,034 posts, read 79,200,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Here's a different, and working, media link covering the same topic:

Coronavirus herd immunity in California? Doctor shares his thoughts
https://abc7.com/health/coronavirus-...ughts/6093912/
Very interesting, thank you. Especially re: immunity to Covid19, and how it works, or rather, their process in trying to figure out how it works.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 850,313 times
https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/a...d-15193019.php

Bottom line I think is there is no way to know for sure, unless there is mass anti body testing in this state. Last I read, 8 different strains of the covid 19 virus have been identified. For me, that brings up the question whether one strain is more likely to cause more cases of severe illness, compared to another strain. The majority of the cases in NY have been traced to a strain coming from Europe

Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 PM

877 posts, read 730,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post

Bottom line I think is there is no way to know for sure, unless there is mass anti body testing in this state. Last I read, 8 different strains of the covid 19 virus have been identified. For me, that brings up the question whether one strain is more likely to cause more cases of severe illness, compared to another strain. The majority of the cases in NY have been traced to a strain coming from Europe
antibody itself is becoming questionable according to this article. https://www.rt.com/news/485438-react...navirus-tests/ the rt is severely anti American publishing media but i ll should avoid the politics parts here and focus on science.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 850,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
antibody itself is becoming questionable according to this article. https://www.rt.com/news/485438-react...navirus-tests/ the rt is severely anti American publishing media but i ll should avoid the politics parts here and focus on science.

It's rather par for the course......different opinions among the scientists and medical doctors studying this epidemic. They don't know for sure and although that can be perhaps frustrating the the general public, it helps to keep in mind this is a "novel" virus

Old 04-11-2020, 04:45 PM

13,624 posts, read 26,006,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im fairly certain I had it in december...it was really awful but after a week or so I recovered.
I had something awful peaking around the first week of December. Was nothing like anything I ever had before. It was like an internal butt-kicking, and I recall begging for mercy many times.

I did not travel to CA in the month prior, but did visit the Virginias and Carolinas, went all over CO (including resort/ski towns), and to WY. My work, as a function of it, requires airport visits.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I had something awful peaking around the first week of December. Was nothing like anything I ever had before. It was like an internal butt-kicking, and I recall begging for mercy many times.

I did not travel to CA in the month prior, but did visit the Virginias and Carolinas, went all over CO (including resort/ski towns), and to WY. My work, as a function of it, requires airport visits.
Fever? Stomach disturbances of some sort? Stubborn bronchitis of pneumonia or similar symptoms? Chills/sweats?

Old 04-11-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post

The UK has identified at least 3 different strains, in addition to the one coming from Wuhan. They say one is from Hong Kong, another from Singapore, another from Korea. They say, the strain the UK got was not from China, but was one of the ones from outside of the Mainland.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ina-new-study/

Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM

13,624 posts, read 26,006,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fever? Stomach disturbances of some sort? Stubborn bronchitis of pneumonia or similar symptoms? Chills/sweats?
I don't recall any stomach issues, but Kaiser called it "flu" because they didn't feel the need to bother with a test. It was unlike any flu I ever had. Fever yes, chills/sweats yes, more labored breathing, phlegm, an infrequent but strange/piercing cough, with a dry throat. Mild headaches, weaker cognition, and a poor outlook. It hurt to walk, it hurt to drive, it hurt to sit up, and it hurt to sleep. An incredible feeling of weakness overall.

In some ways, it wasn't as bad as a standard flu (I was more functional than during most bouts of the flu, which I average getting every other year since moving to CO {13 years}), but in others it was much worse. I felt like I just had to hang on until it was over, it was more despairing if that makes any sense.

I had mononucleosis when I was 15 (36 now). This flu described above ranks 2nd to that in my life career, even accounting for the relative functionality.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,551,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
They can do antibody tests on people who might have had the virus. My friend is a nurse in Bakersfield who was very sick in Jan. She had the antibody test and yep she had Covid then.
I am nearly certain I had this in late January and I am in Bakersfield too . I am just now getting back to normal but I dont think they have antibody tests yet ,

I have been saying this the whole time . I have had pneumonia 5 times in this life and I woke up one night at 3 m convinced I suddenly had pneumonia . I was HORRIBLY ILL .

Whatever this was went straight to my lungs they felt heavy and wet and I started to employ every single pneumonia lung saving technique I have ever been taught . TERRIBLE fever .weight loss , I was thirsty until just recently body hurt like h*ll , but nose stayed clear and throat not sore . It was the weirdest thing .

I could not get up , not hungry lasted for 2 weeks then a 3 week was almost as rough , could not breathe . I struggled for breath and to clear my lungs the entire time , they were on FIRE and what was in them was like wall paper paste , this was severe . I had ZERO drainage.

The night sweats were outlandish . I would have to get up and change myself and the bed for days and days . I was soaked .
I finally got so sick I went to the dr but they told me they had no appts and to go home or to a minor er , so I went home .

I have about given up on Drs anymore . You cant ever see one when you need one

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 04-11-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland