U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 11:51 AM

876 posts, read 729,387 times

Advertisements

full article here : https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...n-15187085.php

I hope that is the case it built herd immunity. considering large number of chinese go back and forth here much more than other states.
I had december flu and recovered, i hope that was corona and I am considering antibody test. But I am also afraid of getting corona at the testing center.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,243,985 times
This makes a lot of sense. Last Nov I was sick with all the symptoms of covid. It felt like a virus I’d never had before. I also think the warm weather in Ca is helping a lot too

Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 8,951,428 times
I don’t believe in this theory because if that’s the case New York would have had the herd immunity also. Why didn’t they?
In the fall, California was not warm, it was cold.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,247,178 times
I'm not in the least bit qualified to have any sort of real idea here, but I find it a little bit hard to believe that researchers hammering out the 8 strains of Coronavirus wouldn't have arrived at this idea sooner. https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

If this were true, we also have to question why the virus would appear to be more virulent and deadly now than before? Is it simply mania sending everyone into a self-fulfilling frenzy? Additionally, I would probably lose a bit of confidence in our abilities to diagnose and research viruses when everyone tested negative for the flu but still had symptoms of what we now call COVID-19.

I suppose we'd have to apologize to China for attempting to cover theirs up because somewhere along the way many someones would have seemingly had to turn a blind eye.

I don't know.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm not in the least bit qualified to have any sort of real idea here, but I find it a little bit hard to believe that researchers hammering out the 8 strains of Coronavirus wouldn't have arrived at this idea sooner. https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

If this were true, we also have to question why the virus would appear to be more virulent and deadly now than before? Is it simply mania sending everyone into a self-fulfilling frenzy? Additionally, I would probably lose a bit of confidence in our abilities to diagnose and research viruses when everyone tested negative for the flu but still had symptoms of what we now call COVID-19.

I suppose we'd have to apologize to China for attempting to cover theirs up because somewhere along the way many someones would have seemingly had to turn a blind eye.

I don't know.
well it appears really dangerious now than it is but must consider the fact data could have lot of errors and also it is in public view it does appear deadly. But we know even normal times people die by hundreds and thousands. Instead of reporting today's figures, it is also probably good idea to COMPARE the flu infections and its deaths prior to corona like last year etc, I am not underestimating its dangeriousness but data will tell something if we look at past yaer's flu statistics and I am pretty sure it will not be a pretty number too.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:21 PM

7,151 posts, read 2,989,985 times
If I didn't get sick in mid-May, I would think it had been 'rona.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katscorp69 View Post
The past does not matter
waste of time
march ahead

IMHO
it may, information is gold.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:23 AM

16,106 posts, read 26,919,724 times
Wouldn't surprise me. I got the sickest I'd ever been in the beginning of Feb; worst fever and chills. Even called the advice nurse to see if I should go to the emergency room.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:46 PM

85,933 posts, read 79,124,938 times
Ahhh-HA! I suspected as much! I was in Santa Cruz last fall, and I DEFINITELY came down with something, that had a bronchial aspect to it, and it wouldn't quit! Though I don't recall a fever or achiness, I was strangely fatigued; it was more like a cold, but with coughing and wheezing, and pain in the lungs.

I've mentioned this to a couple of people lately, and they've said, "no, it couldn't have been Covid, because it hadn't hit the US yet." IDK, but I always eat at my fave Chinese restaurant when I'm there, and the chef/owner is from the Mainland somewhere.... And the restaurant is regularly visited by Chinese students, and who knows who else among the patrons may have been to China around that time... Could be just a co-incidence I guess. Getting tested might provide interesting results, but I'm asymptomatic currently.

VERY interesting article, OP! Thank you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-09-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 PM

2,133 posts, read 961,560 times
I be curious based on figures it appears places with lots of Chinese restaurants and other Chinese owned businesses in California were not hit hard at all, however there are places where there are almost no interaction with anyone who been through China however hit very hard. I am really skeptical that the disease were really brought to community spread by people who came from China whether they are Nationals or Expats or non Chinese. Something else must had been at play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland