U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 03:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,246,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you know what the OP is being offered and if its even lower than elsewhere or something? Or if they didn't already try for a similar job in the inner Bay Area?

Sounds like the OP just wants to live in a more active/interesting place which I can totally understand especially if you are young and single. Not sure how you deduced this whole "putting up a facade" scenario from that.
I was referring to the other poster who spoke about their colleague or friend who made that commute for many years. I'm personally a believer in community. Logically, you should live close to where you work and work close to where you live. And in doing so, you can bring value to these communities. If a person doesn't feel that they bring value and life to a community over time, then maybe they're sort of devoid of character themselves.

When I lived in Fairfield, I had groups of friends that were quirky, met up for activities -- hiking, board games, breweries, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, biking. We often went to other cities too, of course. But there are plenty of things to do there and plenty of like-minded people because it is a diverse city, even if you don't have children.

There isn't night life, but you're not relegated to stay in the city at all times. But the second you make the decision to live in an hour from work, you are relegated to that drive 5 days per week and it's just a mostly wasteful endeavor.

Having lived in Fairfield, American Canyon, and San José (downtown and Japantown) in the past 6 years, I can honestly say that Fairfield was the best place I lived.

But you're right, to each their own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 12:09 PM

1,400 posts, read 956,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm laughing over here. Commuting from Berkeley to Fairfield has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The additional time and additional money spent on commute, gas, maintenance, and rent while earning less money in a cheaper town = not bright.
Well, I and many of my coworkers did that commute for a while. 2 of us from SF > Fairfield. A number of others from WC, Oak, or Alameda > Fairfield. But that was years ago. I would never do that now since traffic has been so bad.

As for the area, it's ok. I worked in an office park so we had to venture over to the mall area for food. Pretty sleepy. I lived in SF at the time so anything else would be considered sleepy. I would recommend living in another area unless you have budgetary restraints preventing that.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:26 PM

881 posts, read 703,423 times
Different strokes for different folks. Personally I find Fairfield devoid of character, interest, and activity. So I would never live there. Sounds like OP might have a similar perspective, and certainly I know at least one person who was willing to make the drive from Berkeley every day. Maybe a job in Fairfield is worth that. Considering I have co-workers coming from as far away as Bodega Bay and Fairfield to my office in San Rafael, lots of people seem to be okay with long drives.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,506,535 times
Quote:
I was referring to the other poster who spoke about their colleague or friend who made that commute for many years. I'm personally a believer in community. Logically, you should live close to where you work and work close to where you live. And in doing so, you can bring value to these communities. If a person doesn't feel that they bring value and life to a community over time, then maybe they're sort of devoid of character themselves.

When I lived in Fairfield, I had groups of friends that were quirky, met up for activities -- hiking, board games, breweries, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, biking. We often went to other cities too, of course. But there are plenty of things to do there and plenty of like-minded people because it is a diverse city, even if you don't have children.

There isn't night life, but you're not relegated to stay in the city at all times. But the second you make the decision to live in an hour from work, you are relegated to that drive 5 days per week and it's just a mostly wasteful endeavor.

Having lived in Fairfield, American Canyon, and San José (downtown and Japantown) in the past 6 years, I can honestly say that Fairfield was the best place I lived.

But you're right, to each their own.
If I could rep you many more times I would!

It's obnoxious when people tell others to live 30 minutes or an hour outside of their workplace when they don't have to. Living where you work adds to your community, its vitality and saves you a lot of expense in gas, vehicle maintenance and it reduces carbon emissions. All of those things should be taken into consideration, not what city is going to look "good" on my facebook profile.

People who work in one area and live 30 miles or more away, are usually your bland, white-bread types who want to pretend that they live perfect lives in their Disneyesque "perfect" towns. No intention to add value to a place, or think critically, whatsoever. As a millenial, myself, I have to admit that it's a sad byproduct of the millennial generation that they inherited from their older Gen X parents or younger Boomer parents.

Fairfield is a very livable community. These people telling the OP to live in Berkeley or Walnut Creek are the same people who probably post all of their "happy" pictures on facebook and pretend their lives are better than others, just to put up a facade for their friends. If you want a white-bread community there's no need to go all of the way to Walnut Creek when Vacaville is right next door to Fairfield. If you want a "Berkeley" environment, Davis is right there, too.

I see it down here in So Cal too, where a poster will take a job in a certain community, and then live 30 miles away while bashing said community where their employment is located. It says more about the character of the poster than anything else.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:56 PM

16,098 posts, read 26,913,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
If I could rep you many more times I would!

It's obnoxious when people tell others to live 30 minutes or an hour outside of their workplace when they don't have to. Living where you work adds to your community, its vitality and saves you a lot of expense in gas, vehicle maintenance and it reduces carbon emissions. All of those things should be taken into consideration, not what city is going to look "good" on my facebook profile.

People who work in one area and live 30 miles or more away, are usually your bland, white-bread types who want to pretend that they live perfect lives in their Disneyesque "perfect" towns. No intention to add value to a place, or think critically, whatsoever. As a millenial, myself, I have to admit that it's a sad byproduct of the millennial generation that they inherited from their older Gen X parents or younger Boomer parents.

Fairfield is a very livable community. These people telling the OP to live in Berkeley or Walnut Creek are the same people who probably post all of their "happy" pictures on facebook and pretend their lives are better than others, just to put up a facade for their friends. If you want a white-bread community there's no need to go all of the way to Walnut Creek when Vacaville is right next door to Fairfield. If you want a "Berkeley" environment, Davis is right there, too.

I see it down here in So Cal too, where a poster will take a job in a certain community, and then live 30 miles away while bashing said community where their employment is located. It says more about the character of the poster than anything else.
You're so woke bro

Talk about ASSumptions here. Have you ever lived or worked in Fairfield? Btw Davis is 30 miles from Fairfield and you'd be going in the commute direction unlike WC or elsewhere in the Bay Area. Yeah totally "right there" lol.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,506,535 times
Quote:
You're so woke bro

Talk about ASSumptions here. Have you ever lived or worked in Fairfield? Btw Davis is 30 miles from Fairfield and you'd be going in the commute direction unlike WC or elsewhere in the Bay Area. Yeah totally "right there" lol.
Speaking of assumptions...Not your "bro". I don't have the right anatomical equipment for that

Secondly, its nothing to do with being "woke". I love how you right-wingers think that every moderately socially-conscious decision is about being "woke".

I think I struck a chord with you?

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-13-2020 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Speaking of assumptions...Not your "bro". I don't have the right anatomical equipment for that

Secondly, its nothing to do with being "woke". I love how you right-wingers think that every moderately socially-conscious decision is about being "woke".

I think I struck a chord with you?
Doesn't mean you can't identify as a bro. How ignorant of you.

Right winger? lol Yeah keep digging that hole deeper. And my "woke" comment was in reference to all these stupid ASSumptions you are making about people you don't know.

Sooo have you ever worked or lived in Fairfield?

Last edited by sav858; 04-13-2020 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Sooo have you ever worked or lived in Fairfield?
I know you're aiming this at the other contributor, but even if she had, would you value her opinion any more than you do now? I'm not sure that you valued my opinion and I both lived and worked in Fairfield for nearly a decade.

For about 9 months, I actually commuted to Davis while my girlfriend finished school so she didn't have to commute. So I speak for the experience of commuting almost stupidly to a town that is more exciting. Davis is nostalgic for me for a whole lot of reasons but it didn't make it any less stupid. And by living in Davis, I also saved almost $500/month on rent and I still understood how wasteful it was and how I never got to truly spend the time in my community because of how far away I worked. Now imagine doing the opposite: spending more money on rent, making less money at work -- even if we defend someone doing it, and hey, everyone is welcome to make their own choices in life -- but that's an awfully expensive way just to say you don't live in a certain town.

People that do things don't always see the irrationality of it, but the previous poster -- whether she lived in Fairfield or not -- does understand this sentiment. Her point is no less valid; these ideas are all over and they're not exclusive to the Bay Area. People often times think they're better than others, and sometimes you need someone to say, "Hey, you thinking that -- first of all -- is just your perception and hubris..." and second that thinking like that means that both you and that community are slower to evolve in positive directions because of that type of thinking.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I know you're aiming this at the other contributor, but even if she had, would you value her opinion any more than you do now? I'm not sure that you valued my opinion and I both lived and worked in Fairfield for nearly a decade.

For about 9 months, I actually commuted to Davis while my girlfriend finished school so she didn't have to commute. So I speak for the experience of commuting almost stupidly to a town that is more exciting. Davis is nostalgic for me for a whole lot of reasons but it didn't make it any less stupid. And by living in Davis, I also saved almost $500/month on rent and I still understood how wasteful it was and how I never got to truly spend the time in my community because of how far away I worked. Now imagine doing the opposite: spending more money on rent, making less money at work -- even if we defend someone doing it, and hey, everyone is welcome to make their own choices in life -- but that's an awfully expensive way just to say you don't live in a certain town.

People that do things don't always see the irrationality of it, but the previous poster -- whether she lived in Fairfield or not -- does understand this sentiment. Her point is no less valid; these ideas are all over and they're not exclusive to the Bay Area. People often times think they're better than others, and sometimes you need someone to say, "Hey, you thinking that -- first of all -- is just your perception and hubris..." and second that thinking like that means that both you and that community are slower to evolve in positive directions because of that type of thinking.
Yes because at least they would be speaking from experience. Not sure how one can comment on the "livability" of Fairfield without working or living there. Why would I care or value your opinion on the matter? You're not the OP nor were you asking others for their opinion about Fairfield.. The only reason I even responded to you because you said inferred mine and/or the others posters opinion was "the dumbest thing you ever heard" when it was just a different perspective/point of view on the subject. One the OP seemed to actually value.

Like/Dislike whatever you want. Have whatever preferences and rational for whatever you do. But these assumptions you and the other posters are making about people who choose to commute are completely asinine and show how narrow minded you are about other people's preferences. Who are you to tell someone they're wrong or trying to put up a "facade" because they don't see things or value the same things as you?

Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yes because at least they would be speaking from experience. Not sure how one can comment on the "livability" of Fairfield without working or living there. Why would I care or value your opinion on the matter? You're not the OP nor were you asking others for their opinion about Fairfield.. The only reason I even responded to you because you said inferred mine and/or the others posters opinion was "the dumbest thing you ever heard" when it was just a different perspective/point of view on the subject. One the OP seemed to actually value.

Like/Dislike whatever you want. Have whatever preferences and rational for whatever you do. But these assumptions you and the other posters are making about people who choose to commute are completely asinine and show how narrow minded you are about other people's preferences. Who are you to tell someone they're wrong or trying to put up a "facade" because they don't see things or value the same things as you?
I'm sorry your feathers were so ruffled by such an innocuous opinion. I'll make sure next time I don't give an opposing viewpoint. Just to confirm for everyone: Fairfield is trashy and full of parental squares and (insert other undesirable). Regardless of cost or commute, OP should live somewhere way cool and hip. Like hipper and more expensive than wherever they moved from. After work, don't even bother dropping by any of those trashy hole-in-the-wall restaurants with the really good food either. And never stop for gasoline on the way because who knows what might happen in that parking lot! And like, yeah, totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or