U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 05:49 PM

16,098 posts, read 26,913,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm sorry your feathers were so ruffled by such an innocuous opinion. I'll make sure next time I don't give an opposing viewpoint. Just to confirm for everyone: Fairfield is trashy and full of parental squares and (insert other undesirable). Regardless of cost or commute, OP should live somewhere way cool and hip. Like hipper and more expensive than wherever they moved from. After work, don't even bother dropping by any of those trashy hole-in-the-wall restaurants with the really good food either. And never stop for gasoline on the way because who knows what might happen in that parking lot! And like, yeah, totally.
Speaking of ruffled feathers....lol. You really don't see the irony of your post do you? You already gave your viewpoint. You just decided to chime in again because you felt the need to tell everyone else how theirs was stupid. How arrogant and judgmental.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 07:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,246,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Speaking of ruffled feathers....lol. You really don't see the irony of your post do you? You already gave your viewpoint. You just decided to chime in again because you felt the need to tell everyone else how theirs was stupid. How arrogant and judgmental.
Haha my feathers aren't ruffled; I can't even satisfy you with validation.

Just apply to be a moderator. If in fact you're the only one who can chime in multiple times in order to tell other people they can't, then I vote for moderation. lol

Old 04-13-2020, 07:58 PM

2,850 posts, read 784,115 times
Are there any neighborhoods south of I-80 that are decent and family-friendly? I see some nice houses coming out of that area here and there, but the schools are not that great.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Haha my feathers aren't ruffled; I can't even satisfy you with validation.

Just apply to be a moderator. If in fact you're the only one who can chime in multiple times in order to tell other people they can't, then I vote for moderation. lol
They clearly are. Look at the snarky post you left because you have trouble grasping people have a different view than you.

I'm not the one telling others their opinions are "dumb", you are.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Are there any neighborhoods south of I-80 that are decent and family-friendly? I see some nice houses coming out of that area here and there, but the schools are not that great.
Paradise Valley. There is a little area off Pitmann Rd and Cordelia that's nice too.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Another poster mentioned Paradise Valley. I'd also add in that there are really attractive (albeit modest) homes sprinkled throughout central Fairfield as well. With these neighborhoods, you'll want to scope out the area decently well before hand, but there are some bargains to be had if you're willing to put in the observation time. In Fairfield, people pretty much stick to themselves. It's not an altogether nice looking city, but there's also not a lot of random crime.

Check out the area right around Lee Bell Park, for instance. There's a sizable pocket of really pretty tree-lined streets with cute, well-maintained homes. There are also some perfectly fine pockets as you get close to Paradise Valley (but not quite) near the Walmart on Texas. I lived there for a bit. Admittedly, West Texas Street can shocking for some people from Air Base Parkway to Travis Blvd, but on both sides of it the further you get from Travis, the better it generally gets.

So, if you're on a budget, do your due diligence, but there are definitely worthy pockets in parts of the rest of the city too.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 04-15-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 06:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,149,976 times
Quote:
I'm on the run right now but if desired, I'd be happy to give my list of favorites in a later reply. I'd say there are about 10 really unique, crave-worthy dives in Fairfield that are worth checking out on a continual basis.
My favorites in that area are Every Little Thing Jamaican and the Mediterranean Food Center. I am looking forward to your post about the other ones.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:14 PM

2,850 posts, read 784,115 times
Quote:
Another poster mentioned Paradise Valley. I'd also add in that there are really attractive (albeit modest) homes sprinkled throughout central Fairfield as well. With these neighborhoods, you'll want to scope out the area decently well before hand, but there are some bargains to be had if you're willing to put in the observation time. In Fairfield, people pretty much stick to themselves. It's not an altogether nice looking city, but there's also not a lot of random crime.

Check out the area right around Lee Bell Park, for instance. There's a sizable pocket of really pretty tree-lined streets with cute, well-maintained homes. There are also some perfectly fine pockets as you get close to Paradise Valley (but not quite) near the Walmart on Texas. I lived there for a bit. Admittedly, West Texas Street can shocking for some people from Air Base Parkway to Travis Blvd, but on both sides of it the further you get from Travis, the better it generally gets.

So, if you're on a budget, do your due diligence, but there are definitely worthy pockets in parts of the rest of the city too.
Thank you! I'm going to watch the housing market for a while and see which direction it goes. Been looking at Vacaville as well, and see what happens there.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:12 AM

48 posts, read 17,758 times
I grew up Fairfield and just moved back down to Fairfield in February from Seattle. The city in itself is definitely not beautiful nor sexy like say Napa or Vacaville but it definitely has bargains if what you're looking for is a nice place to hit the rack every night and save cash. This is the reason why I moved back with my family here as I needed to save cash before I do a big trip outside North America and move back to Southern California. And yes, the person that mentioned that people in FF keeps to themselves is true; unless you grew up here, it will be hard to make friends here and even then, it will be a challenge. You have any other questions about living in FF, pm me.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
My favorites in that area are Every Little Thing Jamaican and the Mediterranean Food Center. I am looking forward to your post about the other ones.
I haven't tried the former yet but you've given me something exciting to try when I return!

Note: I've been in San Jose for 2 years and moved to Tucson last week, so I can't comment on recent shut downs due to COVID and I'm missing 2 years of any new restaurants that came to Fairfield recently. Shout out to Cal-Yee's too, although it's not a restaurant, it's definitely worth a stop in old Suisun.

Downtown:

1. Joe's Buffet. I've been vegetarian for 4-5 years but back in my meat eating days, this was a staple. Dumpy little place but somewhere you'll always remember fondly.

2. Alejandro's. Another staple for me. There's probably nothing particularly unique here -- it's a dive taqueria -- but again, it's somewhere you'll remember fondly years after you've stopped coming.

3. Chez Soul. Some legit soul food down one of the downtown side streets. Cajun cat fish and fried okra. Yes please.

Suisun:

1. Sukhothai. Of the Thai food in Fairfield (and there's a decent amount of them), I think this one consistently has the best customer service and I can't quibble with the food.

2. Bab's Delta Diner. A morning staple on the waterfront. Nothing special but one of those places you'll crave having a Sunday morning breakfast occasionally.

3. Across the street from Bab's is Joy of Eating. Actually, I like it better (they had some bomb french toast) but it doesn't quite have that old diner feel to it like Bab's.

North Texas / Paradise Valley area:

1. Vicini's. Best pizza.

2. Q's Halal Chicken. This is my personal favorite Mediterranean spot.

And as always, no matter what city you're in, Nation's is ALWAYS > In and Out. You'll have one here too. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or