Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:58 AM

17 posts, read 21,425 times

Advertisements

I’m considering to work at Collins Aerospace in Fairfield, CA. Does anyone have any feedback on the workplace or the area?

I’ve done some research and it didn’t seem that good but maybe others have a different perspective.

Does anyone know anything about Collins Aerospace in Fairfield? Any good perks?

What about living near a decent commute to Fairfield? Any good areas for young adults?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 12:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,059,676 times
I lived there for the better part of 8 years. I don't see an upside to living in a more exciting place and commuting to Fairfield because places like Concord or Walnut Creek probably aren't exciting enough to rationalize a 30-minute commute to work while paying significantly higher housing costs. I would just live close to work and more frequently hang out elsewhere. Fairfield isn't dangerous. There are parts that are unsavory but even I have lived right in those areas and never felt unsafe.

The general rule is to live on the opposing side of I-80. In general, those neighborhoods offer more consistency in quality. When COVID goes away and things return to normal, one upside to Fairfield is that there are some quality places to eat -- particularly hole in the walls. I'm on the run right now but if desired, I'd be happy to give my list of favorites in a later reply. I'd say there are about 10 really unique, crave-worthy dives in Fairfield that are worth checking out on a continual basis.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:49 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
I work in the area but live in Concord. Fairfield is ok, as the other poster noted live on the other side of 80 and 680. Central Fairfield is dumpy imo. Fairfield has nicer residential areas the problem is you have to share the rest of the city and its lower end commercial area with a significant population of less desirable types.

If you are young and active I personally wouldn't live there but I'm the type that is willing to put up with a commute and higher housing costs to live in a better area. Not that Concord is anything special but its closer to better/more exciting areas, has BART, and for me is the area where my family and friends are located (I grew up in WC).

The commute isn't bad, not much traffic at all. 30min to 45 min depending where in Fairfield you are going. There is the bridge toll ($6 going up to $9 eventually) that you will need to factor in though too.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 21,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I work in the area but live in Concord. Fairfield is ok, as the other poster noted live on the other side of 80 and 680. Central Fairfield is dumpy imo. Fairfield has nicer residential areas the problem is you have to share the rest of the city and its lower end commercial area with a significant population of less desirable types.

If you are young and active I personally wouldn't live there but I'm the type that is willing to put up with a commute and higher housing costs to live in a better area. Not that Concord is anything special but its closer to better/more exciting areas, has BART, and for me is the area where my family and friends are located (I grew up in WC).

The commute isn't bad, not much traffic at all. 30min to 45 min depending where in Fairfield you are going. There is the bridge toll ($6 going up to $9 eventually) that you will need to factor in though too.
Where would you recommend places to live for young and active people?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,476,186 times
Fairfield is a snorefest. For this reason, I have an acquaintance (my age, mid-30's now) that opted to commute from Berkeley for many years (so starting in her 20's). All the people I know who currently live in the Fairfield/Suisun City area are older folks with 2+ kids.

If you don't want to commute all the way from the Berkeley area (including Oakland and Albany), you could move to Walnut Creek or possibly Pleasant Hill. I'd even opt for El Cerrito or Concord before Fairfield itself, but only if Berkeley or Walnut Creek don't pencil out. Especially if you are in your 20's. If you are in your 30's and considering having kids, then you might be okay with Benicia, which is closer to Fairfield and doesn't require a bridge toll.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepYouInMind View Post
Where would you recommend places to live for young and active people?
For a somewhat shorter commute Walnut Creek but that's still a suburb so not as good for young people as Oakland or Berkeley.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:26 PM

I'm laughing over here. Commuting from Berkeley to Fairfield has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The additional time and additional money spent on commute, gas, maintenance, and rent while earning less money in a cheaper town = not bright.

If you want to live somewhere more exciting, then work somewhere more exciting. Why? You make more money. QOL issue. Do you really want to waste 2+ hours every single workday of your life commuting when you could just expand your employment horizons? We're generally so overworked in this country that the time that we imagine we'll have to go out and have fun is significantly less than we imagined before we started the endeavor.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I'm laughing over here. Commuting from Berkeley to Fairfield has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The additional time and additional money spent on commute, gas, maintenance, and rent while earning less money in a cheaper town = not bright.

If you want to live somewhere more exciting, then work somewhere more exciting. Why? You make more money. QOL issue. Do you really want to waste 2+ hours every single workday of your life commuting when you could just expand your employment horizons? We're generally so overworked in this country that the time that we imagine we'll have to go out and have fun is significantly less than we imagined before we started the endeavor.
Different strokes for different folks. Some people find it worth it, not exactly that hard of a concept to grasp. Just look at how many younger people commute out of SF down to Silicon Valley.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Just look at how many younger people commute out of SF down to Silicon Valley.
At least salaries and rents match up relatively well in that situation.

If, however, some people think that telling their friends they live in Fairfield is an embarrassment of riches, they sure are willing to pay to pretend. That's a facade I don't care to put up myself, plus I find value to bringing funky ideas to other cities. You get enough real people in a town and you can have nicer, more interesting things.

Rough estimate: By reverse commuting from Berkeley to Fairfield, you'd probably pay either $15,000 more per year (or live in a relative trap of an apartment), make $20,000 per year less in wages, and pay $5,000 per year in additional commute costs in addition to losing 2 hours per day in your own time. My investment dollars and personal time is worth a lot more than to lie to others.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
At least salaries and rents match up relatively well in that situation.

If, however, some people think that telling their friends they live in Fairfield is an embarrassment of riches, they sure are willing to pay to pretend. That's a facade I don't care to put up myself, plus I find value to bringing funky ideas to other cities. You get enough real people in a town and you can have nicer, more interesting things.
Do you know what the OP is being offered and if its even lower than elsewhere or something? Or if they didn't already try for a similar job in the inner Bay Area?

Sounds like the OP just wants to live in a more active/interesting place which I can totally understand especially if you are young and single. Not sure how you deduced this whole "putting up a facade" scenario from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland