U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 AM

1,584 posts, read 3,146,561 times

Advertisements

Sure, unless you have a family to support.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 06:38 PM

119 posts, read 100,435 times
Oh, H no. I live here. That's not enough.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:04 PM

5,456 posts, read 2,157,773 times
Sorry haven't checked on this in awhile. In short I didn't go through with it. I lost my job due to the pandemic and seeking alternatives. The salary $110k was close to what I was making in another city / state and I got an offer to go to Palo Alto but looking into that the $110k wasnt going to go very far in terms of housing (not surprised). Right now where I am, I just bought a house in January and wasnt expecting to get laid off .. $110k isnt my max, I'd estimate i can probably go as high as $200 - $250k with enough experience in my field of work but moving to SF and sacrificing everything for a $3k - $5k rental, I dont think I can do... I do love SF though but moving there is still unfortunately on the big maybe list for now unless something bigger comes up.

Edit: Also does it seem like several employers are not keeping up with the cost to live there? I'm seeing this even in high end tech roles. It's kind of like they hope to entice someone with a six figure salary hoping the numbers will lure them before they research how much it really costs to live there. I can't help but wonder if anyone falls prey to that.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 AM

28,275 posts, read 30,843,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
OP, it is a question that probably only you can answer. What type of lifestyle do you like to live? What are are expectations & future plans? There are a lot of jobs in the Bay Area that pay way less then $110K. I know somebody in SF who is currently earning around $46K -$47K a year at a job he likes & his job has really good benefits. He has lived in a 400ft studio for the last 10 years in a convenient area a few blocks from USF. He has no car and he is single. He seems to have found low cost things to do and hobbies to pursue in SF......and he somehow manages to put money in saving regularly. It's working for him living in SF. But, everybody is not like him
^^This is me, almost to a "T", except I have a somewhat higher salary, a car, & live in SJ.

However, if I were just moving here, I would definitely want/need to earn more than I do now. But I'm sure 110k would be enough.

Personally, I'm kinda done with the Bay Area. I've got a comfortable set up (no commute, below market rate apartment). Even with those advantages, the costs for me are still too high for the quality of life I get.

From a purely financial perspective, however, you should be able to live decently in the Bay Area on 110k and still put money away if you want to. Maybe not in SF proper, mind you, unless you've got some special deal going or don't mind sharing housing. At that salary level, it's really more about expectations (especially in terms of housing), and money management skills.

If you want kids, I'd say forget it, unless you plan to use this job to get experience and get outta here and/or are able to make a lot more money in a short amount of time. For the vast majority of people, raising kids here is a total rat race unless they have family money or extended family who are willing and able to raise the kids full time for free while both parents work.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-17-2020 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 AM

28,275 posts, read 30,843,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Edit: Also does it seem like several employers are not keeping up with the cost to live there? I'm seeing this even in high end tech roles. It's kind of like they hope to entice someone with a six figure salary hoping the numbers will lure them before they research how much it really costs to live there. I can't help but wonder if anyone falls prey to that.
I've lived here for over 23 years now. At first the cost of living (primarily housing) priced out single middle income earners (as it did in many places). Then it priced out people earning 2 full time middle incomes. They got priced out sometime in the 1990s. There were a few respites in housing prices in the 2001 and 2008 recessions, but since the 2008 recession ended, newcomers with even upper middle class incomes are being priced out. We don't build enough new housing in the Bay Area so that supply keeps up with demand--and this has been going on for nearly 40 years now. I'm not holding my breath that this will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland