U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 06:19 PM

51 posts, read 22,032 times

Advertisements

When do you think life will go back to normal in here?

I know most of you here are Americans living in your country. But to me, I am from Europe... My university here might go online for Fall 2020. There is a plane going back to my country, fully equipped and sanitized, any national from my country can board for free. My family is begging me to go back concerned about my safety because I live by myself here.

I thought of going back to my country and stay there till October or November and then come back here IF THINGS ARE NOT GOING BACK TO NORMAL SOON. Otherwise, I might stay, but I am super concerned about letting go of this opportunity to board for free.

If your advice was to go back, should I keep paying rent? My rent ends on 5/31/2020... and of course, I would not want to keep paying the rent for four or five months while away... but I like the place I am living at.

Do you think it is possible to ask my landlord to reduce the rent? Is it possible to sublease it?

Please do not see my questions or concerns as silly, they may be silly for experienced people but not to me. I have been in self-quarantine alone for almost 48 days now... I do not want to be rude to my landlord. But what do you recommend telling him? Is it rude to tell him that I am staying but you should reduce the rent? I mean under these circumstances?

All of you who are reading now, you are my friends. Your advice matters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:30 PM

85,966 posts, read 79,159,832 times
If you want to benefit from the free plane travel, you'll have to give up your place. Because the fact is, you don't know if you'll be back in the fall or not. You don't know how long to make the sub-lease for, if you find a tenant and the LL is ok with it.

There won't be a vaccine until next year, that's all we know at this point. I don't expect universities will re-open to have classes on campus. You could stay home (in your country), and take your classes online from there.

Otherwise, if you stay, what will you do this summer?

And, how is the health situation in your country? Better? Worse?

Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 PM

881 posts, read 704,843 times
How is the situation in your home country? I know two people through work with college-age "kids" overseas. One in Shanghai and one in continental Europe. Both did everything they could to get their children back here to the Bay Area when the pandemic started. If you have a home to go to, my advice is to take the flight, tell your landlord that you need to terminate your lease early (if he/she is understanding), and reconsider your time here if fall semester/quarter goes back to normal. Good luck, and take care of yourself!

Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you want to benefit from the free plane travel, you'll have to give up your place. Because the fact is, you don't know if you'll be back in the fall or not. You don't know how long to make the sub-lease for if you find a tenant and the LL is ok with it.

There won't be a vaccine until next year, that's all we know at this point. I don't expect universities will re-open to have classes on campus. You could stay home (in your country) and take your classes online from there.

Otherwise, if you stay, what will you do this summer?

And, how is the health situation in your country? Better? Worse?

I am not doing anything this summer. I cannot say the health situation in my country is better, but at least I will be with my family and won't worry about the hospitalization cost.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
How is the situation in your home country? I know two people through work with college-age "kids" overseas. One in Shanghai and one in continental Europe. Both did everything they could to get their children back here to the Bay Area when the pandemic started. If you have a home to go to, my advice is to take the flight, tell your landlord that you need to terminate your lease early (if he/she is understanding), and reconsider your time here if fall semester/quarter goes back to normal. Good luck, and take care of yourself!
Thank you for your advice.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 675,809 times
Do you have a visa that will be affected by going home? I know some situations do not allow for international students to take classes online from outside the US.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:57 AM

85,966 posts, read 79,159,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
This is interesting. A few countries have handled the outbreak better than the US. Some students studying abroad might be better off staying in their host country, rather than returning to, say, NYC. East Asian countries that have dealt with major flu outbreaks before, were really on the ball from the start.

Quote:
Do you have a visa that will be affected by going home? I know some situations do not allow for international students to take classes online from outside the US.
This is a good point. OP, you may have to look into the visa implications of your returning to your country. Would you be able to return to the US later, without much trouble, to resume your studies? Do you have a multiple-entry visa currently, or is it single entry? I imagine a lot of foreign students in the US are facing the same quandary now.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,248,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
I am not doing anything this summer. I cannot say the health situation in my country is better, but at least I will be with my family and won't worry about the hospitalization cost.
This was so telling. Sadly, half of us in America know how disturbing this fact and this worry is. We apologize to you for the fact that we have a corrupt healthcare system that even fleeces its citizens. It's sad.

As your your dilemma, I don't know the proper solution but I wish you the best on whatever you decide.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I can take online classes from home.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is interesting. A few countries have handled the outbreak better than the US. Some students studying abroad might be better off staying in their host country, rather than returning to, say, NYC. East Asian countries that have dealt with major flu outbreaks before, were really on the ball from the start.

This is a good point. OP, you may have to look into the visa implications of your returning to your country. Would you be able to return to the US later, without much trouble, to resume your studies? Do you have a multiple-entry visa currently, or is it single entry? I imagine a lot of foreign students in the US are facing the same quandary now.
Yes, the International Office at my university told us that we can be away for 5 months, and that won't affect the visa status...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or