U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 12:42 PM

16,127 posts, read 26,930,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
In looking at Georgia's numbers of cases and deaths, both are about 2x that of California (per capita). I just looked at their numbers and they reported 33 new deaths in the past 24 hours, so I don't think its entirely accurate that they're trending down. If we still see the overall trend lower in a couple weeks, you may have an argument.

I don't think businesses should be completely shut down, but I do think there are certain ones that don't allow social distancing, which shouldn't reopen. This includes hairdressers, nail salons, etc. It is also questionable whether bowling alleys would be deemed essential.

In addition, if people don't take the necessary safety precautions when they open the businesses (both the owner and the patron), yes, they should be shut down again. We all need to act like adults and if we do not, the government needs to step in again.
Well the GA Department of Public Health would disagree with you and we're supposed to listen to the experts right?

Coronavirus cases, deaths in Georgia continue to decline, three weeks after re-opening

Coronavirus Cases in Georgia, Florida Continue to Decline Despite Business Openings

You're excluding a lot of businesses there. I don't see why they can't open with proper health ans safety precautions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 12:43 PM

17,017 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what about Georgia? It's cases have remained fairly steady even dropping. It was one of the first states to open back up. Their SIP ended on 4/30 except for the medically fragile and elderly. That makes a lot more sense than keeping everyone locked down.
What about it? Maybe a good sign. Maybe too early to tell.
Quote:
It's too early to look at Georgia's coronavirus cases and declare that reopening works
Michelle Mark 11 hours ago

Georgia lifted its shelter-in-place order April 30, and state public health officials have since released optimistic-looking data on new coronavirus cases and deaths.

But it's still too early to draw the conclusion that reopening states won't worsen COVID-19 outbreaks.

Georgia's Department of Public Health has faced criticism over publishing inaccurate or misleading data in recent weeks, and Gov. Brian Kemp's office has apologized over the mishaps.

But even with accurate data, there can be a weeks-long delay between the time when a person contracts the virus, when they get a positive test result, and when that test result is actually reported to state health authorities.

Experts have said that coronavirus case counts don't show what the outbreaks look like in realtime — they're a snapshot of what the outbreaks looked like two weeks earlier.

https://www.businessinsider.com/reop...ata-lag-2020-5

Old 05-18-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What about it? Maybe a good sign. Maybe too early to tell.
The second sentence of that post was the "what about it"; steady/slightly declining cases. Definitely a good sign and not the doom and gloom people were expecting at this point.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM

2,606 posts, read 4,197,584 times
Quote:
Well the GA Department of Public Health would disagree with you and we're supposed to listen to the experts right?

Coronavirus cases, deaths in Georgia continue to decline, three weeks after re-opening

Coronavirus Cases in Georgia, Florida Continue to Decline Despite Business Openings

You're excluding a lot of businesses there. I don't see why they can't open with proper health ans safety precautions.
You're coming to this conclusion too early, per this article: https://www.businessinsider.com/reop...ata-lag-2020-5

As I said, wait a couple more weeks before declaring it a victory.

The Bay Area counties ARE opening up to a Stage 2 over the next week. This does allow many businesses, including stores to have curbside pickup. Why not do so in a controlled manner to ensure we don't have a huge spread rather than a free for all?

Old 05-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You're coming to this conclusion too early, per this article: https://www.businessinsider.com/reop...ata-lag-2020-5

The Bay Area counties ARE opening up to a Stage 2 over the next week. This does allow many businesses, including stores to have curbside pickup. Why not do so in a controlled manner to ensure we don't have a huge spread rather than a free for all?
But it's okay for you to come to the conclusion that it doesn't work because of TX? I wasn't declaring "victory" but it's a good sign either way. You pointed out TX so I pointed out GA, don't read too much into it.

I never suggested a free for all. I believe GA opened up in phases as well and they still are not completely open.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM

19,402 posts, read 17,528,939 times
Quote:
Yep.

It can take two to four weeks before hospitals start seeing a surge in patients after they’ve been infected, so it can take some time before officials realize what’s going on.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...county-falling

Old 05-18-2020, 12:56 PM

17,017 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Quote:
The second sentence of that post was the "what about it"; steady/slightly declining cases. Definitely a good sign and not the doom and gloom people were expecting at this point.
Hopefully.

Meanwhile, in the Pacific, 13 sailors previously fallen ill with coronavirus aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln recovered, tested clear several times, returned to duty .... and now are fallen ill with CV19 again. Not a good sign.

That said, hopefully the second round for them was just bad testing of the first round not truly being cleared.

Point being: too early to know whether all these anonymous armchair internet analyst scholars we are reading actually know their elbows from their butts.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
But it's okay for you to come to the conclusion that it doesn't work because of TX? I wasn't declaring "victory" but it's a good sign either way. You pointed out TX so I pointed out GA, don't read too much into it.

I never suggested a free for all. I believe GA opened up in phases as well and they still are not completely open.
Well, its not just the trend data I was looking at in Texas. I was also considering the basic logic that if people congregate en masse, that invites community spread. Not too difficult to arrive at that conclusion.

Look, I don't enjoy staying in my house, not being able to go out to dinner with my wife, hang out with friends, send my kids to school, go to work or the gym. But, health needs to come above all of this.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well, its not just the trend data I was looking at in Texas. I was also considering the basic logic that if people congregate en masse, that invites community spread. Not too difficult to arrive at that conclusion.

Look, I don't enjoy staying in my house, not being able to go out to dinner with my wife, hang out with friends, send my kids to school, go to work or the gym. But, health needs to come above all of this.
I don't think anywhere is allowing large gatherings yet.

But there has to be a balance or you are going create or worsen another set of problems.

My office reopened today and we are all back. We're probably going to see a lot of tension in the workplace with how differently people approach this pandemic. A couple of people in my office probably should just be in a hazmat suit or request to work from home.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think anywhere is allowing large gatherings yet.

But there has to be a balance or you are going create or worsen another set of problems.

My office reopened today and we are all back. We're probably going to see a lot of tension in the workplace with how differently people approach this pandemic. A couple of people in my office probably should just be in a hazmat suit or request to work from home.
I'm glad that I work for a company that is being much more measured about us coming back to the office and not requiring (or even encouraging) us to come back until they can assure employee safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or