U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,275,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
All the businesses won't be reopening because they're now out of business. You seem to not grasp that. They had no choice but to close for good.
I completely get that, but keep lecturing me all mighty one.

You seem to think that by reopening that all will be fine. Its NEVER going back to the old ways, whether they open now or later. Its not a free for all where people can just walk and sit in stores and restaurants. Dine in service at restaurants is limited to 25% capacity, as it should be for health reasons. Stores will be curbside pickup only.

Does that all make sense to you that their expensive brick and mortar business model is doomed and that they need to adapt or perish? This is happening regardless of what restrictions are in place (or not). Why put everyone's health in danger and make this outbreak worse in the process?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 09:26 AM

16,255 posts, read 27,020,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Georgia has been doctoring their data. governor kemp had to apologize. Georgia and Texas look like they are going to be fails. A gop politician risking American lives by lying for political gain. I am not even surprised anymore
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...fter-thursday/
https://www.alternet.org/2020/05/its...19-infections/
https://americanindependent.com/bria...rnor-covid-19/
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ata-brian-kemp
They released a misleading representation of the data. The links I provided did their own analysis/graphs of the data. Either way GA isn't seeing a spike in cases.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 AM

California v. Florida on coronavirus: A tale of two states? Not really.

"But even with the discrepancy in the time it took to issue statewide shelter-in-place orders, Florida and California have had near-identical death-per-capita numbers. California has seen 7.4 deaths per 100,000 residents — only slightly lower than Florida's figure of 8.5."

"Florida implemented a policy barring hospitals from discharging patients to the state's nursing homes — a measure DeSantis credits for keeping the state's overall death toll low."

Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM

17,261 posts, read 9,666,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
California v. Florida on coronavirus: A tale of two states? Not really.

"But even with the discrepancy in the time it took to issue statewide shelter-in-place orders, Florida and California have had near-identical death-per-capita numbers. California has seen 7.4 deaths per 100,000 residents — only slightly lower than Florida's figure of 8.5."

"Florida implemented a policy barring hospitals from discharging patients to the state's nursing homes — a measure DeSantis credits for keeping the state's overall death toll low."
These comparisons flooding the internet opinion forums are curious. The only thing they demonstrate at this time is that comparisons are so far meaningless.

The island of Bali has been my favorite go-to example: Dense population of 4 million; host to 1/2 million additional tourists a month; no restrictions on travel until March 20; Hindu New Year’s celebrations involving groups of 10’s of thousands in the streets started March 21st with no social distancing or shut down ... as of about 6 weeks later: 235 CV19 cases and 4 deaths.

What does it mean compared to NYC? Georgia? Texas? Iceland? Timbuktu?

Old 05-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
These comparisons flooding the internet opinion forums are curious. The only thing they demonstrate at this time is that comparisons are so far meaningless.

The island of Bali has been my favorite go-to example: Dense population of 4 million; host to 1/2 million additional tourists a month; no restrictions on travel until March 20; Hindu New Year’s celebrations involving groups of 10’s of thousands in the streets started March 21st with no social distancing or shut down ... as of about 6 weeks later: 235 CV19 cases and 4 deaths.

What does it mean compared to NYC? Georgia? Texas? Iceland? Timbuktu?
They also demonstrate social media/internet users should stop acting like they are Nostradamus.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM

17,261 posts, read 9,666,493 times
Quote:
They also demonstrate social media/internet users should stop acting like they are Nostradamus.
1000% agreed!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:14 PM

Suicides on the rise amid stay-at-home order, Bay Area medical professionals say

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

All this for something with an estimated .33% mortality rate that mostly affect the elderly and those with existing health conditions.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 AM

Sonoma Co. sheriff: 'I can no longer in good conscience' enforce stay-at-home order

This is great, I hope other Bay Area counties follow suit.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:31 AM

36,968 posts, read 17,134,341 times
Quote:
Sonoma Co. sheriff: 'I can no longer in good conscience' enforce stay-at-home order

This is great, I hope other Bay Area counties follow suit.
Do you really think it's a good idea for a law enforcement officer to make decisions about how to manage a pandemic? If so, then maybe the county health director should go run the jail so the Sheriff can manage the entire public health system of Sonoma County

Last edited by 2sleepy; 05-29-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-29-2020, 09:33 AM

36,968 posts, read 17,134,341 times
Quote:
Suicides on the rise amid stay-at-home order, Bay Area medical professionals say

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

All this for something with an estimated .33% mortality rate that mostly affect the elderly and those with existing health conditions.
well, the mortality rate is higher than .33% but yeah you're right, it's no biggie if the only ones who croak are old or sick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or