U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2020, 05:50 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,192,791 times
Reputation: 36125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Will be interesting to revisit this in a few weeks. What's going to happen for all those other locations that are opening too soon and inviting an exponential spread of COVID? I get the want/need to open up the economy as businesses are hurting, seriously. I empathize with all the small business owners who are losing their liveilhoods.

However, I fail to see the logic from an economic standpoint. If more people get sick and it becomes unmanageable, the businesses will need to shut down AGAIN. This will only prolong the economic, along with the health crisis.
You contradicted yourself on this thread. What exactly do you fail to see? These businesses won't have to shut down again because they're done. As in finished. The small business owners aren't going to reopen fpr for the most part/

Let me guess, you can work from home so you haven't been impacted. I hope you're not like some of these I will be polite and call them naïve Americans who have posted on CD "well I work from home anyway so my job is safe" So of there company has layoffs and all sectors have been impacted, I guess they think. well it really is thinking that the HR top management will forget them as in "out of sight and out of mind"...and people wonder why so many countries just shake their heads in disbelief at Americans, and this was even before Trump.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,192,791 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
They're saying double the amount of deaths by June. I agree that most people (80%+) are abiding by the rules. However, the 20% that are the selfish jerks are making it worse for the rest of us.

I agree that we're likely not going to be keeping the country closed. However, if our administration didn't have its head in the sand in the first place (e.g., a national strategy for testing, contact tracing, etc.) we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

What I'm saying is that the economic damage is inevitable at this point, regardless of whether we choose to open up or not, due to the incompetence of our government.
Than you said this, you're correct this time. The economic damage is inevitable and not reversible. Are you aware healthcare workers in CA are being laid off in the thousands. I know two nurses who have been laid off, I called one the other day, she texted me back saying she will call me tomorrow as her head is about to explode from spending about 5 hours trying to apply online or call to file for UE benefits. Had been a nurse for 30 years, never had to file before.

There are now 33 million Americans now out of work. Back in 2008 and the years that followed for every one job that became available, 500 or more people would apply. This isn't like 2008, try 1929. Took the US 12 years to make a full recovery, wasn't until 1941 when the US entered WW2, I feel very sorry for the younger people in this country in their 20s and 30s, because it will impact them the most.

Now ask yourself what is reality and what is being for lack of a better word lies. The virus is real, however the recovery rate is 98%, most aren't even going to the hospital. Do you know why hospitals are laying off? Because just about all surgeries have been canceled, people who are in great pain and in some cases have now died do to having their procedures canceled.

Are you aware or think about women and children living in very dire situations at home, that domestic abuse is way up at an alarming rate. That there already have been deaths.

Yes, more deaths by June, but it won't be about this virus. Just gave you two situations.

I am only first generation American as my mother was from Ireland, there was a recent article in The Irish Times that says the Irish people now pity Americans, it goes on to say that the world has loved, hated, or envied America but now it is pity.

I am grateful I have dual citizenship, and I will leave it at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2020, 08:57 PM
 
1,581 posts, read 2,835,898 times
Reputation: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezulMaster View Post
Never heard of SARS? We have been exposed to a similar virus before. SARS came up in 2003. It spread fast, killed thousands...and burned out in 2004. To my knowledge it has never resurfaced.

The world didn't shut down for that one.

We still don't have a vaccine for SARS. It could, in theory, flare up tomorrow. I don't think it will though.

I get that this is scary to think of. But it's not entirely uncharted waters. I'm sure we will indeed achieve a vaccine. Perhaps even this year - wouldn't that be a triumph for modern medicine!

At the same time, hobbling an entire economy and keeping millions out of work will have far graver consequences.
SARS was not as contagious and had around a 15% mortality rate. Covid 19 is believed to have a 25-50 Asymptomatic rate. Some studies found SARS to not be asymptotic or 1-3 % asymptotic rate.Simply stated SARS killed people before They could spread the infection and was symptomatic enough to Aid in detecting the infected. Not at all like Covid 19
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
6,027 posts, read 3,229,610 times
Reputation: 11866
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am only first generation American as my mother was from Ireland, there was a recent article in The Irish Times that says the Irish people now pity Americans, it goes on to say that the world has loved, hated, or envied America but now it is pity.
I prefer not to have major political discussions in our local forums, but since several, including you, have been so negative and discredited us, and since the good citizens in the SF Bay Area were called "sheep," above, I am going to "participate".

The reason stated in the article you quoted from The Irish Times, the U.S. is pitied is because "Donald Trump has destroyed the country he promised to make great again. The world has loved, hated and envied the US. Now, for the first time, we pity it.

However bad things are for most other rich democracies, it is hard not to feel sorry for Americans. Most of them did not vote for Donald Trump in 2016. Yet they are locked down with a malignant narcissist who, instead of protecting his people from Covid-19, has amplified its lethality. The country Trump promised to make great again has never in its history seemed so pitiful."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...gain-1.4235928

Mr. O'Toole expressed "pity" for the United States over U.S. President Donald Trump's leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, not for the reasons you stated.

If you were to ask Mr. O'Toole his opinion of Gavin Newsom's handling of the COVID-19 crisis in California, and how we are taking good care of each other here, I'll bet you he would express admiration.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-08-2020 at 03:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 08:53 AM
 
2,470 posts, read 4,178,314 times
Reputation: 3009
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You contradicted yourself on this thread. What exactly do you fail to see? These businesses won't have to shut down again because they're done. As in finished. The small business owners aren't going to reopen fpr for the most part/
Do you honestly think that by opening up businesses today, this will keep them afloat? People are scared to go out to businesses because there are not effective safety measures. One article I read is showing that businesses that have reopened in Texas are only getting something like 10-20% their normal business.

However, by opening now, this will enhance the risk of a second wave, which will likely cause further economic carnage this fall. Explain to me your economic argument for opening up now? Sorry, but your point fails from both an economic and a health perspective. The two are interdependent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 AM
 
460 posts, read 94,432 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezulMaster View Post
May sound cold, but practicality is the basis for our actions now. Open the economy back up. Give those millions of people another chance to keep themselves fed, sheltered, and yes, healthy.
No, it doesn't sound cold. Not in the country/economy where everyone is to fend for themselves and where it's not given a damn when a lot of people become homeless because of ridiculously overpriced housing, get bankrupted by greedy "healthcare" mafia, etc. I call that pretty cold, when folks with paid-off housing and on a fixed check from the government or whatever their retirement income is, require whole younger generations to ruin their lives. Most of those who demand continued lockdown don't give a damn about anyone else being dead or alive.

As to 2nd wave tsunami tales... this is so laughable that doesn't even need to be commented on anymore. Yes, there'll be some 2nd wave, nothing major, this virus' death rate is around 0.5% (of infected), and those who take care of protection steps run low chance of getting infected...it's called life. Life goes on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3,774 posts, read 6,245,037 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
As to 2nd wave tsunami tales... this is so laughable that doesn't even need to be commented on anymore. Yes, there'll be some 2nd wave, nothing major, this virus' death rate is around 0.5% (of infected), and those who take care of protection steps run low chance of getting infected...it's called life. Life goes on.
Armchair scientists with their PhDs from WebMD, please tell us all about this novel virus and its periphery infections.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 02:06 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,192,791 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I prefer not to have major political discussions in our local forums, but since several, including you, have been so negative and discredited us, and since the good citizens in the SF Bay Area were called "sheep," above, I am going to "participate".

The reason stated in the article you quoted from The Irish Times, the U.S. is pitied is because "Donald Trump has destroyed the country he promised to make great again. The world has loved, hated and envied the US. Now, for the first time, we pity it.

However bad things are for most other rich democracies, it is hard not to feel sorry for Americans. Most of them did not vote for Donald Trump in 2016. Yet they are locked down with a malignant narcissist who, instead of protecting his people from Covid-19, has amplified its lethality. The country Trump promised to make great again has never in its history seemed so pitiful."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...gain-1.4235928

Mr. O'Toole expressed "pity" for the United States over U.S. President Donald Trump's leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, not for the reasons you stated.

If you were to ask Mr. O'Toole his opinion of Gavin Newsom's handling of the COVID-19 crisis in California, and how we are taking good care of each other here, I'll bet you he would express admiration.
Yes, Newsom has done a wonderful job..LOL. Please save your breath, I can't stand Trump. The problem with man Americans today is they can't separate what an individual does if it's the party they support.

That goes for both sides.

Again, Newsom sent one billion dollars to China for masks to be made? Where are masks? EDD is almost depleted, Newsom said this himself, no mention of one billion and the masks.

I pity the US as well, lots of malignant narcissists in power here. But they cross party lines.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3,774 posts, read 6,245,037 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
EDD is almost depleted, Newsom said this himself, no mention of one billion and the masks.
The way you wrote this sentence is a bit confusing. I googled around for your claim that EDD is almost depleted and couldn't find anything. I'm not saying this isn't true, but I'm curious if you could source your claim out. Two weeks ago, in fact, Newsom extended UI to gig workers and the self-employed which would seem to indicate that EDD -- much of which is paid for by employers -- is not close to depletion. The majority of UI in current events is being paid for by the feds, too.

I could be wrong, of course, but I haven't heard this. It would seem a bit dubious to think that there aren't multiple levels of insurance policy to protect against something like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 02:46 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,192,791 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Do you honestly think that by opening up businesses today, this will keep them afloat? People are scared to go out to businesses because there are not effective safety measures. One article I read is showing that businesses that have reopened in Texas are only getting something like 10-20% their normal business.

However, by opening now, this will enhance the risk of a second wave, which will likely cause further economic carnage this fall. Explain to me your economic argument for opening up now? Sorry, but your point fails from both an economic and a health perspective. The two are interdependent.
I believe I said "They're done", which means they're not coming back regardless. So not sure how you came up with that question. Americans in general(although not all) are very self absorbed, there is also a combination of ignorance and arrogance that makes us look foolish to the rest of the world(even before Trump). Many on CD scoffed at people started losing their jobs "only those working in restaurants, and retail service industry jobs" well that isn't the case, scoffed at high UE rates would be, "It won't go over 10%"...well not the case.


I notice you didn't answer the question about your job status in regards to working from home. I hope you don't think(and I am not wishing this on you) that you can't get laid off? I have seen people post on CD "well my job is safe, I work from home already)seriously? No one regardless of what sector they work is safe from a layoff.

Do you know anyone in medical field personally as in doctors and nurses? I do, two of them have been laid off.

Do you know the US economy has been like a house of cards for many, many years with debts mounting as we kept "kicking gethe can down the road", well the road has ended. The virus while real has been overblown and now will be blamed as the reason for the economic depression that this country was going to have happen very soon.

If you're waiting for this virus to completely disappear with zero cases, it isn't going to happen. Vaccines that are safe could take years. A virus that has a 98% recovery rate. All those nursing home deaths that were listed as COVID 19 families have spoken up about that because they're loved ones were dying already of very serious illnesses...do some research.

I mentioned earlier domestic abuse, women and children in living situations already stressful and potentially deadly, now spending more time isolated.

I find the people who buy into all this fear and don't do any real thinking, either are retired and don't really do much as staying at home has little impact on them, or they can work from home or have already been working from home, so they think their job is safe. Never thinking or showing any concern for people whether they know them or not who are now in dire financial need and could also be living in situations that are now made worse than this lockdown.

Like the fake concern all of a sudden for the homeless. I have dual citizenship with Ireland, do you know how shameful it is to go over there and have family and friends ask about LA and SF, CA in general and what they see and hear about how bad the homeless situation is? There are homeless people in Ireland more commonly known as "rough sleepers" the majority in Dublin, but nothing like you see here. There is much better services available for the them as well. Granted it is much smaller country about the size of the Illinois, but still that is one of the reasons people in other countries just don't "get" America.

Where the concern for the homeless before? How come nothing was done prior to this?

The thing is I don't think many Americans which isn't surprising quite yet how bad things are going to be, well they will. Because they think it won't impact them directly, sigh.

The old song by Glenn Frye of The Eagles "I Got Mine" was so true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top