U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2020, 02:52 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,211,647 times
Reputation: 36129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
The way you wrote this sentence is a bit confusing. I googled around for your claim that EDD is almost depleted and couldn't find anything. I'm not saying this isn't true, but I'm curious if you could source your claim out. Two weeks ago, in fact, Newsom extended UI to gig workers and the self-employed which would seem to indicate that EDD -- much of which is paid for by employers -- is not close to depletion. The majority of UI in current events is being paid for by the feds, too.

I could be wrong, of course, but I haven't heard this. It would seem a bit dubious to think that there aren't multiple levels of insurance policy to protect against something like this.
Newsom said it himself last Monday while being interviewed. That's also when he mentioned the huge deficit.

He also mentioned(because he had to finally address it) that frustration of the millions of CA residents now unemployed who have been unable to apply online(he used the word "glitches" in the system), and of course can't get through on phone.

Now remember those people aren't even counted yet, and the funds are close to being depleted. You can probably find a clip of this on You Tube.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2020, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
3,774 posts, read 6,249,113 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Newsom said it himself last Monday while being interviewed. That's also when he mentioned the huge deficit.

He also mentioned(because he had to finally address it) that frustration of the millions of CA residents now unemployed who have been unable to apply online(he used the word "glitches" in the system), and of course can't get through on phone.

Now remember those people aren't even counted yet, and the funds are close to being depleted. You can probably find a clip of this on You Tube.
I still could not find what you're referring to about funds being depleted.

I also know more than 20 people who lost their jobs and all (including myself) had little trouble getting through the website and getting activated. It's still anecdotal, but 20 is better than 1 anecdotal piece of evidence. I'll admit that the website sucks and don't ever mis-remember your password or security questions because there is no back-up after that, which I am going to guess is a lot of people's troubles. For a brief moment in time, I couldn't remember mine and it took getting a little stoned to reach into the far reaches of my mind to remember, hahah.

Newsom has a lot of haters. A lot. But the last news stories I can dig up about EDD being a bleep-show was like April 24th. If Newsom had said that the funds were nearly gone -- many many weeks short -- I am going to assume that someone would have written about it. And if it did exist, I'm sure you would have posted it when prompted. If you do find it, please let us know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 08:45 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,207,438 times
Reputation: 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I believe I said "They're done", which means they're not coming back regardless. So not sure how you came up with that question. Americans in general(although not all) are very self absorbed, there is also a combination of ignorance and arrogance that makes us look foolish to the rest of the world(even before Trump). Many on CD scoffed at people started losing their jobs "only those working in restaurants, and retail service industry jobs" well that isn't the case, scoffed at high UE rates would be, "It won't go over 10%"...well not the case.


I notice you didn't answer the question about your job status in regards to working from home. I hope you don't think(and I am not wishing this on you) that you can't get laid off? I have seen people post on CD "well my job is safe, I work from home already)seriously? No one regardless of what sector they work is safe from a layoff.

Do you know anyone in medical field personally as in doctors and nurses? I do, two of them have been laid off.

Do you know the US economy has been like a house of cards for many, many years with debts mounting as we kept "kicking gethe can down the road", well the road has ended. The virus while real has been overblown and now will be blamed as the reason for the economic depression that this country was going to have happen very soon.

If you're waiting for this virus to completely disappear with zero cases, it isn't going to happen. Vaccines that are safe could take years. A virus that has a 98% recovery rate. All those nursing home deaths that were listed as COVID 19 families have spoken up about that because they're loved ones were dying already of very serious illnesses...do some research.

I mentioned earlier domestic abuse, women and children in living situations already stressful and potentially deadly, now spending more time isolated.

I find the people who buy into all this fear and don't do any real thinking, either are retired and don't really do much as staying at home has little impact on them, or they can work from home or have already been working from home, so they think their job is safe. Never thinking or showing any concern for people whether they know them or not who are now in dire financial need and could also be living in situations that are now made worse than this lockdown.

Like the fake concern all of a sudden for the homeless. I have dual citizenship with Ireland, do you know how shameful it is to go over there and have family and friends ask about LA and SF, CA in general and what they see and hear about how bad the homeless situation is? There are homeless people in Ireland more commonly known as "rough sleepers" the majority in Dublin, but nothing like you see here. There is much better services available for the them as well. Granted it is much smaller country about the size of the Illinois, but still that is one of the reasons people in other countries just don't "get" America.

Where the concern for the homeless before? How come nothing was done prior to this?

The thing is I don't think many Americans which isn't surprising quite yet how bad things are going to be, well they will. Because they think it won't impact them directly, sigh.

The old song by Glenn Frye of The Eagles "I Got Mine" was so true.
I do have an office job where I am fortunate to work from home. I'm also trying to balance both my wife and I working and homeschooling our young children. Its not like I have it easy or enjoy this setup myself, but would prefer this from a safety perspective to the alternative. And by the way, I never said I couldn't lose my job. I've been hyper sensitive to this well before the pandemic. My wife and I have worked very hard over the years to build up a sizable emergency fund and I actively maintain my professional network for such a potential scenario.

I do feel for the first responders. They are the true heroes in all of this, where they are going out to save lives. For others that want to go out, I firmly believe they're putting these people and others in danger. We have friends who are doctors and nurses and we worry about them every day. The reckless behavior of others is making things much more difficult for them than necessary.

I also do support the local businesses in my community through regular takeout/delivery of restaurants (while wearing masks) to ordering online from some stores.

I do think that businesses should learn to adapt and embrace e-commerce wherever possible and if they cannot, its not just this pandemic that is causing them to go out of business but the lack of creativity and responsiveness to changing consumer behavior. I never like to see anyone lose their livelihood and I feel for them and their families. But, to use this as an excuse to put everyone's health at risk and prolong this pandemic is ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
36,483 posts, read 16,969,895 times
Reputation: 26992
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezulMaster View Post
Never heard of SARS? We have been exposed to a similar virus before. SARS came up in 2003. It spread fast, killed thousands...and burned out in 2004. To my knowledge it has never resurfaced.
The world didn't shut down for that one.
We still don't have a vaccine for SARS. It could, in theory, flare up tomorrow. I don't think it will though.
I get that this is scary to think of. But it's not entirely uncharted waters. I'm sure we will indeed achieve a vaccine. Perhaps even this year - wouldn't that be a triumph for modern medicine!
At the same time, hobbling an entire economy and keeping millions out of work will have far graver consequences.
SARS was not as contagious as Covid-19, and it was contained in Asia due to the immediate implementation of social distancing and contact tracing. There was also some luck involved in that it petered out as quickly as it did, but this is a different virus and we are in a Country where the population would most likely reject the intrusiveness of intense contact tracing and forced quarantine. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...china-epidemic

If you really think that people will return to work and stand shoulder to shoulder with infected people you need to think again. People are not going to put themselves in harms way for an $12 an hour job that you can be fired from in a heartbeat for no reason at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Beautiful free Arizona
3,970 posts, read 2,249,593 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
SARS was not as contagious as Covid-19, and it was contained in Asia due to the immediate implementation of social distancing and contact tracing. There was also some luck involved in that it petered out as quickly as it did, but this is a different virus and we are in a Country where the population would most likely reject the intrusiveness of intense contact tracing and forced quarantine. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...china-epidemic

If you really think that people will return to work and stand shoulder to shoulder with infected people you need to think again. People are not going to put themselves in harms way for an $12 an hour job that you can be fired from in a heartbeat for no reason at all.
Az opened a lot of businesses this weekend and there were lines out the door. I had to wait a hour to get a pedi. People being to afraid it go out in society and work again is your opinion. It’s being proven wrong in other states
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
36,483 posts, read 16,969,895 times
Reputation: 26992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Az opened a lot of businesses this weekend and there were lines out the door. I had to wait a hour to get a pedi. People being to afraid it go out in society and work again is your opinion. It’s being proven wrong in other states
Yes, it is my opinion but I don't think the hour long line for a pedi if proof that I'm wrong- we will just have to wait and see, huh? In about 2 weeks if Ducey actually allows the data to be published we will see how many new cases they have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Beautiful free Arizona
3,970 posts, read 2,249,593 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, it is my opinion but I don't think the hour long line for a pedi if proof that I'm wrong- we will just have to wait and see, huh? In about 2 weeks if Ducey actually allows the data to be published we will see how many new cases they have.
So far Ducey has governed a lot better then Newsome ( my opinion).

Indeed we will have to see the numbers but looking at Georgia who opened 2 weeks ago and has good numbers I’m feeling pretty positive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 11:37 AM
 
1,156 posts, read 728,696 times
Reputation: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So far Ducey has governed a lot better then Newsome ( my opinion).

Indeed we will have to see the numbers but looking at Georgia who opened 2 weeks ago and has good numbers I’m feeling pretty positive.
GA looking good so far. Was able to re-open a business in TX with a partner of mine on Friday. Flew there and everything on Thursday and now back in CA. Fully booked for the next 2 weeks at 50% capacity, until we can hire 2 more that don't want to go back to work because they're making more on unemployment until 7/31. Texas unemployment per week ($521) is higher than Ca's ($450). Tell me how that makes sense? Maybe a better run state?

Here's Ga's numbers. Time will tell, so let's hope the 14 day window criteria doesn't result in significantly higher deaths.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 12:01 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 728,696 times
Reputation: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Nice of you to resort to name calling, just because someone's opinion differs from yours.

How about restaurants that offer curbside pickup or delivery through DoorDash, UberEats, etc? I wouldn't exactly call those medium to large sized businesses?

Shipping costs do increase but some of our other expenses have decreased (such as commute).

I agree that some businesses like hair/nail salons can't really operate in this environment. On the other hand, they're among the most dangerous right now and public safety should be a priority over the means to operate.
You're still clueless. You realize how much restaurants have to pay for UberEats, etc? Not to mention, I know tons of people that would never use those services because of the end-user service fees. They only started to because of this Pandemic, but will go back to not using them afterwards. There's a reason so many of those other delivery companies never made it. Will DD, Grubhub, etc, survive in the end? We'll see.

And, yes, I'll call you clueless when you make an idiotic statement about businesses needing to adapt. So there you go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 12:41 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,207,438 times
Reputation: 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
You're still clueless. You realize how much restaurants have to pay for UberEats, etc? Not to mention, I know tons of people that would never use those services because of the end-user service fees. They only started to because of this Pandemic, but will go back to not using them afterwards. There's a reason so many of those other delivery companies never made it. Will DD, Grubhub, etc, survive in the end? We'll see.

And, yes, I'll call you clueless when you make an idiotic statement about businesses needing to adapt. So there you go.
And how many people will never step foot in those restaurants out of fear? Even if they fully open, these businesses aren't going to make it if they don't rethink their business model.

But, continue to follow Trump and FauxNews and pretend that this is all a big hoax. Let's see if you say the same if you or a family member become infected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top