U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM

2,853 posts, read 785,678 times

Advertisements

I think with this virus the biggest problem is that when things do go back to normal and there is big gatherings, the virus has the potential to spread like wildfire infecting a lot of people at once. We saw what happened in New York and Italy and the potential still exists in all big urban settings. Even in Sweden it's not life as usual and they also banned large crowds bigger than 50. I think what Epidimelogists are trying to prevent is the large clusters that get out of control and overwhelm local health facilities. Plus also, possibly they are trying to get the infection rate low in preparation for fall/winter when both the flu and COVID-19 become double trouble.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM

2,636 posts, read 4,207,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Nope, "most folks" aren't too afraid to venture out (outside of a couple of big cities in CA and several other states).
Most assuredly not in GA in TN.
I'm been all over the country during covid-flu fake-o-demic, and most people don't give a rat's tail about this, and do venture out and don't even wear masks. They figured out early on they're being duped, over flu-level mortality respiratory disease.
In most states people aren't scared sheltered wallflowers, basically.
Yes, its all a big left wing conspiracy. Amazing on the lack of intelligence and distrust of science in this country. There's a reason why our cases/deaths aren't going down, like we're seeing in other countries.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:18 AM

17,046 posts, read 9,585,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Nope, "most folks" aren't too afraid to venture out (outside of a couple of big cities in CA and several other states).
Most assuredly not in GA in TN.
I'm been all over the country during covid-flu fake-o-demic, and most people don't give a rat's tail about this, and do venture out and don't even wear masks. They figured out early on they're being duped, over flu-level mortality respiratory disease.
In most states people aren't scared sheltered wallflowers, basically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, its all a big left wing conspiracy. Amazing on the lack of intelligence and distrust of science in this country. There's a reason why our cases/deaths aren't going down, like we're seeing in other countries.
Speaking of “other countries”, you might want to consider that certain posters here who ‘contribute’ a constant stream of defiant denials and exhortations against what verifiable epidemiologists recommend - are foreign trolls seeking to create as much discord as possible.

'The country is in a state of trauma': COVID-19 has made the US a breeding ground for propaganda and a goldmine for foreign spies

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ference-2020-4
Quote:
The coronavirus outbreak has upended everyday life in the US and turned the country into a breeding ground for fake news and disinformation as citizens increasingly distrust their leaders and each other.

A professor at NYU who published a report on disinformation and the 2020 election told Insider he's seen an explosion in domestically sourced propaganda amid the outbreak.

Heightened tensions and partisanship in the US make it a "natural target" for foreign interference as well, John McLaughlin, the former acting director of the CIA, told Insider.

Anti-lockdown protests are popping up across the US. The data-analysis firm Graphika also documented a surge in xenophobic disinformation and conspiracies from conservative groups.

Russian trolls are adapting their 2016 strategy to be less conspicuous, and China is taking a page out of Russia's playbook as both countries wage intense coordinated disinformation campaigns against the US.
Coronavirus misinformation is putting Facebook to the test

Quote:
Hundreds of bad posts are getting millions of views — and the company is taking a fresh approach to dealing with them.

A few years ago, Facebook became aware that Russia kept posting misinformation all over the network. The misinformation was designed to rile people up and make them share with their friends, and because people are generally pretty easy to rile up, Russia’s strategy was very successful. Some prominent political scientists believe that the country’s election interference, both on and off Facebook, ushered Donald Trump into office. And we’ve spent a good portion of the past three and a half years arguing about it.

About a year after the election, Facebook introduced a tool to let people know if they had unwittingly interacted with the Russian troll army. If you liked the page of a troll in disguise, you could visit an obscure part of Facebook and it would tell you. The tool would not tell you if you had viewed any of the page’s posts, or even if you had shared them. Alex Hern wrote about this flaw at the time in The Guardian:

Facebook will not tell those users about their exposure to misinformation, although the company has not said whether it is unable, or simply unwilling, to provide that information. A source close to the company described it as “challenging” to reliably identify and notify everyone who had been incidentally exposed to foreign propaganda.

Fast-forward to today, when the misinformation we’re worried about primarily has to do with COVID-19. Over the past few weeks, we’ve talked about hoaxes attempting to link the coronavirus to new 5G networks, dangerous fake “cures” based on drinking bleach, and so on. Reporting has consistently found these sorts of articles racking up thousands of shares on Facebook. Even more than Russian misinformation, the COVID-19 hoaxes pose clear public health risks. So what should Facebook do about it?

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2...e-avaaz-report
There are presently two extremely obvious foreign trolls on the California forum, posting all day, everyday. There are at least two others so far less obvious and less frequent.

If it concerns you, report activity you suspect.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Speaking of “other countries”, you might want to consider that certain posters here who ‘contribute’ a constant stream of defiant denials and exhortations against what verifiable epidemiologists recommend - are foreign trolls seeking to create as much discord as possible.

'The country is in a state of trauma': COVID-19 has made the US a breeding ground for propaganda and a goldmine for foreign spies

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ference-2020-4

Coronavirus misinformation is putting Facebook to the test
Probably true. But, I also see neighbors and people I know on Facebook and other sources doing the same.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:30 AM

460 posts, read 95,033 times
Quote:
It's not a left-wing conspiracy, just a failure of Democrats, which are currently cutting the very branch they're sitting on - guaranteeing that free thinking people who think for themselves (versus groupthink), who respect and understand science, who like their freedoms and are not willing to give them up - will not vote for Democrats this year. Many of such people would likely have voted for them otherwise, but will be left with no one to vote now, after power-grab and gross violations of human rights became evident.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM

^^^ case in point.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Probably true. But, I also see neighbors and people I know on Facebook and other sources doing the same.
Definitely true. No probably about it.

And we all certainly do “ see neighbors and people I know on Facebook and other sources doing the same.” Because THAT is EXACTLY how it works. Where do they (neighbors and people you know) get their fuel? Feed the fire. Watch it burn.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Definitely true. No probably about it.

And we all certainly do “ see neighbors and people I know on Facebook and other sources doing the same.” Because THAT is EXACTLY how it works. Where do they (neighbors and people you know) get their fuel? Feed the fire. Watch it burn.
I'm not surprised at all that this is happening. I guess I'm still shocked by how easily gullible folks are. I shouldn't be after seeing what occurred during the 2016 election, but what surprises me is that some of these folks I had previously thought of as intelligent. The fact that people can't or don't want to think for themselves is truly mind boggling.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not surprised at all that this is happening. I guess I'm still shocked by how easily gullible folks are. I shouldn't be after seeing what occurred during the 2016 election, but what surprises me is that some of these folks I had previously thought of as intelligent. The fact that people can't or don't want to think for themselves is truly mind boggling.
Sort of. But the more one learns about anthropology, the less surprising it becomes

Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 AM

2,853 posts, read 785,678 times
I don't understand why we are seeing conspiracy theories abound when we have seen these outbreaks and pandemics in the past. Scientists have been telling us for decades that it was only a matter of time until we would see another pandemic. I think the problem is because this virus is new and our understanding of it keeps evolving and changing, that a lot of people feel they are in the dark over this issue, so it's easy to look for answers on social media and the internet telling us what we want to hear in order to comfort our fears. And the spread of misinformation these days spreads far more quickly than this virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or